1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting discussion

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Kyriakos, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Here one can post paintings and discuss them, or refer to already posted ones.

Let's start with one of my favourites :)

This is "The leap of faith" by Michael Whelan.

I like this painting because it creates a dark environment, which seems to be inescapable, or rather one cannot escape from the protruding piece of concrete he has been found in in any other way apart from jumping in front of him. It makes me think that this extreme step was needed so that one can be set free, and however impossible it seemed, it was the correct measure to take.

The building is black, but the only figure is dressed in white, as if it acquired that purity and whiteness by the leap itself. Apart from it the only living beings are some birds, which advance upwards, as if to show the figure which way to go.

I love the sense of decay and prohibited pleasure in the painting. One sees metalic surfaces, infested with substances that have been carved into the scenery by time. Everything apart from the birds and the main figure is static. And yet one sees hope, in the final leap :)

2. Yared

Yared That Guy

Spoiler The Lovers II by René Magritte :

Love is blind...

This painting makes me smile...

3. Kyriakos

You could also mention why it makes you smile (if you don't want Plotinus to close us down ;) )
    :)

4. Yared

Yared That Guy

Well, true love is blind. When I look at my GF I notice her pretty eyes, her nice smile, her beautiful hair, her cute lips... They are all a part of who she is.

But most of all I see her. I know her better than anyone else, and vice-versa. I know she's not perfect, and neither am I. I see her for who and how she really is - beyond the superficial beauty. And when she looks at me I feel like she can see the deepest of me.

To us, those two are merely people whose faces are covered in cloth. So what? Well, the love is present (as made obvious by the passionate kiss) and they see the deepest of things when they view each other, they feel love for each other when they view each other; and no cloth or physical obstacle can cover that stuff up ;)

Every time I look at her... I smile :)

5. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

I like paintings of monarchs that portray them in divine or biblical ways. I like looking at paintings and finding what certain objects or the clothes they wear refer to.

Like this painting of Elizabeth I of England-
    Spoiler :

The sieve she holds is an allegory to the Vestal Virgin, Tuccia. The globe in the back represents an empire, and the mediallons on the pillar illustrate the story of Dido and Aenas, suggesting that like Aenas Elizabeth was to reject marriage and build an empire instead.

6. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

When on one of my rare incursions into an art gallery, I always like to go to the medieval section and play "guess the saint" until my better half declares herself unable to stand it any longer.

7. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say I find that painting quite boring.

Sure, it creates "a dark environment", but "dark" paintings are a dime a dozen. There is an unfortunate tendency among bad artists, after such figures as Kafka came around, to think that anything that throws words and ideas like "madness" and "darkness" and "modernity" around is somehow a great work. On the contrary, it just comes off as hackneyed and derivative.

The symbolism of the painting is so tired, so obvious, and so boring. And when you further consider the fact that the painting was made so recently, it positively *screams* "I have no artistic vision! I'm just vaguely interested in darkness/madness/modernity and have vast and unfounded pretensions that anything that combines those concepts represents authentic imaginative vision!"

I mean, there isn't a single iota of originality in that painting. Black/white symbolism using light needs to be done skillfully if it is to be done artistically anymore. It has been so common for so long (hundreds of years!) that just throwing it in an otherwise boring painting does nothing.

As for your analysis, varwnos, your discussion of the white birds made no sense. It isn't at all clear that all or even most of them are flying upwards. The grim industrial landscape may be "dark", but that certainly doesn't make it interesting. A great work of art needs authentic imaginative vision, and this piece has none. My suspicions were confirmed when I found out it was painted by a 3rd rate sci-fi and fantasy artist.

All things considered:

-The painting has no imaginative vision.

-The painting just rehashes concepts like "madness", industrial decay, death-as-freedom, and so on in a completely unoriginal way. There is nothing new or fresh about the painting. Nor does it treat its old themes well enough for us to forgive its lack of imagination.

-Varwnos's analysis is insufficient to establish his claim that it is a good work of art.

-Indeed, it is just the usual derivative and boring art created by the legions of aspiring artists who think any vague smattering together of madness, modernity, blazingly obvious symbolism etc. constitutes serious art.

~Fifty

8. bhsup

bhsup Chieftain

No offense, Varnwos, but I have to agree with Fifty on this one. I don't have the analytical brain to make the detailed analysis that he did, but my gut reaction is that I just don't like it.

9. Kyriakos

Take it easy VRW, this is just an internet forum. I don't give a crap if you agree with a boring troll, who is on permanent ignore ;)
    As for not liking the painting, well i think i will refrain from changing my view of it if you dont mind :lol:

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I don't see how a painting of someone about to commit suicide is particularly insightful or stuff.

This painting, compared to a good one, would be like comparing my post to fifty's.

Quoted for effect of comparison between my crappy post (like the painting) and fifty's wise and insightful post (not like the painting)

11. Kyriakos

Please dont litter my thread with your idiocy. If you have nothing to post, dont just troll. You have been reported, *yawn*

12. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Where is the troll? Art is subjective, isn't it? Am I not allowed to make an analogy to describe my thoughts on a painting?

I don't like that one either. It's way too cliched.

13. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Moderator Action: Everyone, please address the points raised, not the people raising them. Calling someone a "troll" is not a reasonable response to a criticism.

14. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Quite possibly because you already know Magritte through and through. Anyway, that's just as "insightful" as Fifty's, who, instead of showing his usual intellectual superiority (or boredom?) might have posted a painting, which, as the OP clearly states, is the intention of this thread.

BTW, most known art from the past is cliché, but why should that bother anyone from admiring it.

Here's a favourite of mine (it's from right before Mondriaan started on his abstract period, for which he is most known):

Attached Files:

15. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I don't think the first painting is "bad", it's certainly demonstrative, at least, of some respectable level of technical skill. Not an exceptional level of technical skill, since to even my totally untrained eye there are glaring inconsistencies in the lighting and shadowing, but easily a level one must work to reach. I don't find the subject especially interesting, it just makes me think of Final Fantasy, but even if the theme is tired, the painting is decently executed. I'm really weirded out by the spotlight. Also, though we don't know what the dude is jumping into, there are definitely a few possible escape routes along the walls with all those pipes and ladders. Maybe they aren't within jumping distance, but he should have at least tried. Look how high he jumped! That's unnatural, if he can jump that high, he could probably have followed the wall out if he had wanted to. The POV angle seems really contrived, though I'm not sure it's impossible. The higher parts of the left wall do not look right. And I don't trust the walling-up of the leftmost window - it doesn't make any damn sense. But! I guess it's cool that the whole thing speaks to somebody. :confused:

16. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO!

Wait, what? The OP states the following:

I don't particularly see why one must post a picture if you're analyzing/critiquing previous ones. It doesn't and shouldn't need to be just a "post a picture" thread.

Here's an example of, IMO, a good dark painting:

Spoiler :

17. holy king

holy king Chieftain

painting a cemetery for your "dark" painting of the year?
    original...

18. Yared

Yared That Guy

Do you think that love as a theme is overused or that the painting itself is unoriginal?

19. Fifty

The OP stated that discussion of previous works was also the point of this thread, as Bill3000 noted.

Anyways, here is a painting I've found a few months ago that I enjoy:

Unfortunately that's the largest pic I could find. The painting is apparently by Georgia O'Keefe, whose work I don't generally love. I don't have a really analytical reason for liking this painting, I just think deserts are cool and I enjoy the colors.

20. Fifty

I've really never been a big Magritte fan. His paintings are just too obvious and self-consciously cutesy/clever for my taste. I'd say "This is not a Pipe" is the most overrated painting of all time.