1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Palace and Forbidden Palace

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game VI: Citizens' started by Furiey, May 2, 2005.

1. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Our People want to build the Forbidden Palace!

The question could simply be where. But there has also been talk of moving our Palace, and there's no point in considering them in isolation, so the first question we need to ask ourselves:

Question 1: Do we want to move our Palace?

Our current Palace is in the city of Camelot on our coast, where we do not get the best benefit from lower corruption. a more central location would allow us to reduce corruption by having cities all around our capitol. Eg: Roosting Tree or The Black Hole are near the centre of our current Empire (they won't be soon), using CivAssist (Corruption Tab) we can see the difference putting the Palace in one of these cities would make to the gpt and corruption of our entire nation:

Camelot: 77gpt, corruption 28
    The Black Hole: gpt 80, corruption 25
    Roosting Tree: 84gpt, corruption 21

This effect will magnify as we get larger.

So Question 2 is if we move our palace - where do we want it? an existing city? A new city? the city on the Iron Wheat site (green dot) would be nicely central to our continent and with the wheat for growth and mountains and hills for shields productive too!

Question 3 is then if we move the palace , how do we move it and when? Brick by brick, wait for a scientific great leader? palace jump?

and whether we move the palace or not there is Question 4 - where do we put the Forbidden Palace. The answer will depend on where the palace goes, but as we no longer get a second core there is no point in building a long way from the Palace.

There's a lot to discuss here!

2. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

We should immediately start handbuilding the FP in Roosting Tree or The Black Hole.

We should locate the Palace on the Green Dot or in Chaos or RegentHam. we should hand build it after we rush a courthouse (to boost production). If we get a Military GL we should rush the Palace instead of hand-building.

3. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Green dot is perfect IMHO. I would handbuild the FP somewhere that is not corrupt now, but will be when the palace is moved. I would go for Provolutia - even though it messes up my settler factory designs for the city. :sigh:

4. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Green Dot looks perfect for the palace. Building it by hand seems to be the only way to go at this point (what are the odds we're going to get a great leader?).

5. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

We do have seeral Elite Swords, so its certainly possible that we will get a leader. Of course we want to get the FP mostly built first anyway, so it might be better to get a leader from a future war for this purpose.

6. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

The green dot should be built next TC, so it can definitely be our new capital. Considering all the elites we have, we should try to get a MGL and use it to rush the palace.

7. Bertie

Bertie Prince

Either the Green Dot or Chaos for our new capital. Don't handbuild this: use a military GL.

For the FP, handbuild in Provolutia or Roosting Tree. (And I agree we need to start on this immediately.)

8. TimBentley

TimBentley Deity

9. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Go go gadg... err... green dot!

10. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Chaos and The Black Hole would have to fight for the FP wonder since they are both close to the green dot ;).

11. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

Chaos and The Black Hole would probably be excluded from the FP as they will both have very little corruption after the green dot is settled.

We should consider Donsignia for the FP. Very good production there and it will become corrupt after the Palace move.

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

It's actually quite possible to have one of each -- in fact it is now possible to have more than one SGL, I've done that a couple of times in my own games in the exact situation we're in now, no wonders available to build... Didn't we get a MGL while holding a SGL, in AIOJ01? Or was it the other way around? I could look but kinda lazy right now. ;)

13. TimBentley

TimBentley Deity

14. Ashburnham

Ashburnham King

Looks like I'm the minority here, but I'm extremely against building a new palace. There's more to government than simply rooting out corruption. That's what the FP is for. Let's build that in a central location and be done with it. Moving the capital is, in my mind, an extremely gamey and unsporting move. Should America move their capital to South Dakota? Should China move their capital to the Gobi? It's simply not something a responsible government does. Let's not forget, we are trying to simulate a real government.

There's history in a capital. There's tradition. There's the feeling that no matter how for we expand or how much we advance, this city was our foundation, our rock. Rejecting all that simply because it will net us a few more gold per turn would be a great diservice to the cultural roots of our nation. Let's not forget, this is Camelot we're talking about. The mythical court of the greatest ruler in England's history. Arthur was the paragon of all that English royalty aspire to, and Camelot is an embodiment of that fact. Removing the palace from Camelot is tatamount to killing off the only ties to our civilization we would have.

Don't let this happen. Don't sever the roots of Fanatannia solely for the sake of being gamey.

15. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Moving the palace is even more of a waste of resources than building an Ancient Age wonder. We would be spending those shields for a slight change in corruption, in a small number of cities at best. A MGL would be better used on completing the FP, a small wonder, or building an army, and a SGL had better be used for something important like Leo's, or Smith's. If we hand build, I would estimate (don't feel like looking up the shield costs :crazyeye: ) that city could have a temple, library, market, aqueduct, cathedral, and university for the same cost!

16. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

if we go commie, we can have 3 capitals, also isnt there some problem with the forbindidn palace these days?

17. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

I found this post in the C3C Quick Questions thread which indicates that you can. Anyone else have any references?

18. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

The FP only helps one city and not the cities around it. For this reason it should be put in a completely corrupt town with high base production. If we move the capital then it can be handbuilt in a town with low corruption now, but high corruption once the palace has moved.

Having the palace on the coast means that we will only have half the productive cities that we could have if the palace was located centrally. Doing this would have a large positive effect on our economy.

Personally I would favour free-jumping to a central location if we do it soon. but since we won't... then using an (M or S)GL for the jump would be best.

You can jump the palace with an MGL
    You can have many SGL's at any one time. You can only generate a MGL if you do not have any leaders of either type available at the time.

Right now it is not possible for us to generate an MGL - but we could theortically get another SGL.

19. Gregski

Gregski Mostly Harmless

Can someone point out the altered functionality of the FP in Conquests plz? If it's not a second palace, what specific benefits does it have?

20. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

It reduces corruption in the city it is built to the same as it would be if it had the palace in it.