1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Panama canal?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by genius_inc, Jul 27, 2012.

1. genius_inc

genius_inc Chieftain

Is there any way to program another action for the worker? I want them to be able to make a panama canal of sorts. Some thing that units can walk across but ships can cut across you continent with. Like for those places where the land is two squares wide and a city can't fix the problem.

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I don't know of any way this can be done within the limits of what is hardcoded into the game.

If there's a way to airlift ships ...

3. genius_inc

genius_inc Chieftain

I think I figured something out... I just don't know how to go about it...

(Can someone who knows their way around modding tell me if this will work?)

You add a worker action/command that terraforms the square (like planting a forest) into a terrain (that also needs to be added) that ships can sail on.

I looked in editor but can't figure out the difference between land and sea terrain, and if there is anyway to specify in editor when adding a new terrain.

4. Blue Monkey

Terraform actions = plant forest, remove forest/jungle/swamp. All those happen on a base of grassland/plains. That's all hardcoded. It's in the compiled code of the game itself - cannot be changed.

5. genius_inc

genius_inc Chieftain

So hardcoded means that it is coded inside the .exe? versus an .ini that we can change?

6. kulade

kulade Deity

Yes, it cannot be changed; I'm sure you can understand the significant amount of programming involved in working in the ability to change land to coast. Obviously they're not going to do all that work just to give us extra toys in the editor; the whole editor is pretty ad hoc in that it really only allows the superficial tinkering of the easy stuff.

If you'd want to know, you can allow workers to perform "Clear Forest" on Hills and Mountains, reducing them to grasslands, but land cannot in any case turn to water or vice versa. If you look in the terrain tab in the editor, you should in fact see that the global warming result on Marshes is coast, which doesn't actually happen in game as it is impossible, but for whatever reason it's marked like that. (Perhaps an optimistic programmer for Conquests set that up hoping that the game could handle it.)

7. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

8. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

The only way to let both sea units and land units cross the same tile is with a city.

Make a canal with a single tile choke point somewhere along the canal, the canal will be controlled by one civ. Only the civ with the city on that choke point tile can cross the canal with it's land units and only the civ with the city on that tile can navigate the canal with sea units.

If you want to make it look like the canal is being worked/built, maybe make some over sized jungle that will cover the canal, the canal will be exposed when as the jungle is cleared.

9. SteamCiv

SteamCiv Warlord

This is disappointing because it creates more closed sea areas than there would be otherwise, especially on a random map where only a sliver of land closes the bottle with ships stuck inside.

It is unfortunate cities cannot be placed / generated with owner as 'nobody" and stay that way when occupying units leave.

10. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

You could create a barbarian unity with city graphics, set the unit to immobile on, flag unit on, disband off, transport capacity of 99, unload and load on and start the game with "capture shipments" in victory options selected, that way any player or AI can capture that barbarian unit, use it to load/unload from one coast to another and still be able to cross it with ships.

Of course the AI will probably not do it well.

11. Civinator

I posted a simmilar suggestion some years ago. Unfortunately the AI not only "doesn´t do well" - the AI does nothing.

12. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

We could change water squares into land squares in Civ 2.

13. Civinator

Yes, in Civ 2 this was possible, so the AI wasn´t able to handle it. When an AI unit transformed land to sea it felt in an "eternal sleep". Civ 2 was a masterpiece done by Brian Reynolds. When he left the team, the trouble with the quality in the Civ series began.

14. Blue Monkey

Moderator Action: Keep this thread the topic of creating things for C3 - specifically about ways to simulate canals. Ongoing discussion of the merits of various versions of Civ, their designers, etc. are topics for other threads.