[Pangaea] Willem van Orange - Strong Land vs Pyramids

Maybe Burn settled differently and Raggy didn't settle in his direction. Happens.

That's deity. Unfair and pretty random. But experts in this level can transform bad lucks into lesser bad lucks or edges. Or simply can bash through this without being perturbed.

thats why i never beat deity! :D its purely unluckily randomly always agaist me ;)

edit: i wish these ******ed xmas-smilies would finally go away

I'm just realizing that I dont ven know how to get culture victory... I guess beelining mass media should do the trick right?

Mass produce Great Artists with caste/pacifism. You usually need at least 6...well actually that's for immortal. To do it before an AI goes culture or space on Deity you probably need more. Get as many cathedrals for as many religions as possible in your 3 culture cities. Having only 5 cities is unfortunate as you'll only be able to build one per religion. In this case I'd concentrate them in two cities and get the third city to legendary culture almost exclusively with great artists. Build theatres. Broadcast towers if you can get to mass media without delaying you final culture push until it's too late. Switch to Free Speech, build culture once you've built enough culture buildings, put the culture slider as high as you can, and hit end turn until you have enough great artists.

The most important part is really the diplomacy.

Just finished culture in 1868.

Spoiler :
Bribed Ragnar on Hannibal early. Good old Ragnar just stomped him, although Hannibal had techlead and 8 citys. He then stomped Sitting Bull on the other side of the map, like he was cheating xd
Libbed Nationalism in 300 AD, because Darius had Education already and i had to play safe. Then went golden age and teched MT+GP while getting a great merchant.

Then i decided to go culture, because Ragnar had 2 vassals already as mentioned and my target Darius vasseled to Sury in 600 AD(holy war was declared on Darius), so i stood there with 20 freshly upgraded War Elephants and had no one to attack without fighting endless stacks of deity ai units.
So i gifted Ragnar a city and had 3 friendly AIs on my side, since i know how to please stubborn girls like Isabella(she was on her way to space with 24 citys and sury as vassal and had 1 legendary city in the end).

My 2 commerce citys were legendary 16xx AD, but i had trouble with the great artists, since i went lib->cuirassiers and had some other GPs already, so it took me very long to finish the job with 7 great artists and 1 unlucky great spy(that's what the computer always works when you don't pay attention :crazyeye: )
Also no marble, no chapel obv, but 3 religions did the job.

Isabella and her early religon won the game for me in the diplomacy section^^

I really wanted to make an attempt for a military victory, but seems like this map is really made for culture, even without marble.

€: Oh yes and we had stone right? GW? Mids?...nah...

I'm just realizing that I dont ven know how to get culture victory... I guess beelining mass media should do the trick right?

I think the most common way is building religous buildings( 50% culture, builded in high commerce spots), while getting a bunch of great artists with a GP farm.
You need at least 6 citys, because of the temples you need for the 50% buildings.

That's deity. Unfair and pretty random. But experts in this level can transform bad lucks into lesser bad lucks or edges. Or simply can bash through this without being perturbed.

Masochistic a bit. :)

But Deity has much more game elements than lower levels due to more competitive but still stupid AI. Since human is smarter than a machine, it is more opportunities for us to use.

On lower levels, tech trading and espionage have little to no value, for example.

Masochistic a bit. :)

But Deity has much more game elements than lower levels due to more competitive but still stupid AI. Since human is smarter than a machine, it is more opportunities for us to use.

On lower levels, tech trading and espionage have little to no value, for example.

On lower levels, it is personal economic skills that rule the win date unless the settings allow an early dom/conq victory. Of course, for space/U.N, again personal skills.

On EMP (unless an easy one), IMM and especially, obviously, personal economical skills can do the job by itself, but we rely more one human-AI interactions.

Masochistic a bit.

Ugh. That reminds that game Zx Zero Zx gave and got 3 GArtists in a row...

Ragnar's settler was on a hill tile within his borders when I settled that dye. Tried five times to reproduce it (not playing properly ofc) but didn't manage, best I got was just getting the rice by beating Ragnar's settler 1t. Also one time Ragnar didn't settle the rice at all but more north, giving me a freeroll. Yet another time I got a city amidst Cyrus's cities grabbing ivory and horses, or blocked him by settling on ph+2x ivory.

Doesn't matter what you settle or how lucky you get really, you should get enough cities anyways with enough green and commerce to fund the rex.

As for rex.. I remember when I just came back to CIV and played a deity pangeae, then everyone criticized me for teching archery and slow expansion!! :lol: Never again! May all my warriors and roaming settlers have good rng! :deal:

(serious now: It becomes clear in the first couple of turns and seeing Izzy's border NW. Coupled with all the units from ragnar/darius. Barbs should not be fought but circle around till the AI kills them. :hatsoff: In those reproduction games, not once did a barb enter my borders either)

Amazingly, I actually managed to rake in my first deity win on this map via Culture in 1836AD :king: :trophy::woohoo:
:banana: :bounce: :bounce: :banana: :bounce: :banana:

Thanks, for everyones advices all over the forum, especially to cseanny, AZ, Tachy, x_zero_x, ben-jammin and TMIT (who I can remember giving me advice most frequently... dont be mad if I forgot you, my memory is horrible ;))

AZ actually even did a youtube vid on my Mansa Munsa game, which I loved especially much... by the way, AZ, my name is pronounced spanish :D it's not PeePee, it's Pepe (means pepper and is a very common name for spanish or portuguese people)

Cheers and Thanks to everyone, finally I can say I have beaten the most cheating computer AI ever :thanx: :thanx: :thanx: :thanx:

Id settle on the riverside plains hill not on the stone.

Riverside and +2 :hammers: city tile is what is the most desirable, not simply setting on a non freshwater stone just to try and build the great wall.

You should still have a decent shot at the mids without having to settle on the stone.

Freshwater = higher early population which is great for the capital. Riverside = levee / dike later into the game.

Not sure how you got the dye site, in my game Ragnar took that almost immediately.

Like this:

Spoiler :

LOL. He's probably gonna DOW me now, but i thought this was hilarious. I'm fairly sure this is the first time I've ever had an AI just offer me a city, much less a Deity AI and a half-decent city.

@Izuul

Excellent use of a game mechanics. I did the same intentionally with Shaka once to get his sole metal bonus. Shame I arrived one turn too late. Also shame you still share over 8 tiles with Ragnar.
If someone wants to know how it works, just notify it here. This mechanics happens to be completely deterministic. And deterministic means to be along good tactics.

I would love to know how that works, because I've never seen that before. That's hilarious!

I would love to know how that works, because I've never seen that before. That's hilarious!

This thread post #9.

Basically, you have to control 10 tiles (or more but that's optional) of the AI city "potential" BFC and the AI has to be CAUTIOUS or higher. If ANNOYED, won't do that.

After 4 turns following the AI's city settlement, if you control at least 10 tiles under your culture (making this with creative is easy when enough early), the AI summons you to liberate it for you. Of course, that city must be nearer to your capital than his/hers. To calculate distances in CIV4, diagonals are worth 1.5 and main cardinal directions are worth 1.

If you miss the four first turns, then the deity AI might have just enough time to get a 17 :hammers: monument and put enough pressure to make the liberation impossible.

The next summoning cycles are 20 turns.

Also, that city must not have enemies on his BFC. It's the same for the human when liberating a city to an AI.

Haha, Izzy just back-stabbed me so freaking hard.

Spoiler :
Everyone was at war with Darius following an AP resolution, so I had no idea an attack was coming. Two turns after I DOW'd Sitting Bull, Izzy's stack showed up at my borders:

I lost my HE city. :cry:

izzy remained a problem for me, too, all game long until she got continuesly declared on by both khmer and carthage... AP resolution stopped those two multiple times but they just waited the peace treaties out and redeclared. at some point they turned on each other out of nowhere :D

by the way, I forgot to mention you in my little honor roll earlier ;) thanks to you, too, buddy

Top Bottom