Pantheon benefit persistence

mindlace

Chieftain
Does the pantheon benefit persist after you have founded your own religion and all your cities are on the new religion?

Yup, they do. Which can turn out to become pretty nasty if you picked one that will always be useful, like production-granting ones, or science-granting ones (The one who gives science for trade routes is pretty nifty, especially when you're Cartaghe on an island map...)

I assume that others with your religion do *not* get the advantage of your pantheon...

What about conquered cities? Do they get your pantheon bennies too? (once they're out of unrest, of course...)

I assume that others with your religion do *not* get the advantage of your pantheon...

What about conquered cities? Do they get your pantheon bennies too? (once they're out of unrest, of course...)

As long as they have your religion, I believe.

They totally do. If they founded pantheon, but never got to found a religion, and then your religion with your own pantheon supplemented it in their cities, they get your pantheon effects.

They totally do. If they founded pantheon, but never got to found a religion, and then your religion with your own pantheon supplemented it in their cities, they get your pantheon effects.

Really? Man, that sucks... I think it'd be much more interesting if everyone got the Follower Belief(s), but only the founder got the Pantheon coupled with that. If things're as you say they are, this makes religion way too nice, tidy and symmetrical, which negates the benefit of choosing a fun Pantheon if you intend to spread your religion later... as everyone will get the same fun Pantheon bonus anyhow.

Really? Man, that sucks... I think it'd be much more interesting if everyone got the Follower Belief(s), but only the founder got the Pantheon coupled with that. If things're as you say they are, this makes religion way too nice, tidy and symmetrical, which negates the benefit of choosing a fun Pantheon if you intend to spread your religion later... as everyone will get the same fun Pantheon bonus anyhow.

Actually it means that your pantheon, which we all agree is 100% start dependent, can be replaced by 1 that is useless and hurtful to you. It adds another layer of interest to the game if someone spreads their religion to you and you don't like it you may need to war them to get rid of the religion.

I think it's a better mechanism, since pantheon beliefs are usually terrain-based, it pays to found your own religion if you have a special circumstances in your terrain. Also, if you have an awesome pantheon belief, then you are also giving those bonuses to your neighbors who could take advantage of it more than you.

I think it's a better mechanism, since pantheon beliefs are usually terrain-based, it pays to found your own religion if you have a special circumstances in your terrain. Also, if you have an awesome pantheon belief, then you are also giving those bonuses to your neighbors who could take advantage of it more than you.

I agree I think it adds a other element of diplomacy not necessarily against the AI but with other players. In my experience people love to spread their religion. On more then 1 occasion I've told people that any religious unit that crosses my border is a declaration of war. People with religions could stamp out your bonuses while increasing theres. While you have to protect your pantheon by stamping out their missionaries and profits.

Pantheons are great depending on what you pick. As Byzantium I picked up the God of the Sea pantheon (production for fishing boats) because all my coastal cities had at least 1 fish and 1 crab (some had 2 of each). Needless to say, my coastal cities were, ahem, nearly as productive as my capital. :D

Actually it means that your pantheon, which we all agree is 100% start dependent, can be replaced by 1 that is useless and hurtful to you. It adds another layer of interest to the game if someone spreads their religion to you and you don't like it you may need to war them to get rid of the religion.

Come to think of it - as a few people mentioned after I expressed my doubts - if you get a terrain-based pantheon (as opposed to, say, Goddess of Love), and you take care to hog all that terrain type as much as you can, replacing the other player's Pantheon is quite an awesome cultural/religious "attack". Say, he has Tundra-based cities and a Tundra-based Pantheon, and you spam your Desert-based Pantheon to his cities.

When I look at it this way, it suddenly doesn't seem too bad... in fact, it could be fun in multiplayer.

Come to think of it - as a few people mentioned after I expressed my doubts - if you get a terrain-based pantheon (as opposed to, say, Goddess of Love), and you take care to hog all that terrain type as much as you can, replacing the other player's Pantheon is quite an awesome cultural/religious "attack". Say, he has Tundra-based cities and a Tundra-based Pantheon, and you spam your Desert-based Pantheon to his cities.

When I look at it this way, it suddenly doesn't seem too bad... in fact, it could be fun in multiplayer.

Yeah I mean today religions play nice for the most part. Back then..... Not so much, play like it ^_^

Just be ready for players like me who see these units and declare war to nip that in the bud

Top Bottom