1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

pantheons that can't usually found a religion

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by obnosis, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Workerspam

Workerspam Prince

I think Fertility is fine. It's strong, for all the reasons you state, and I take it quite often when I get river-poor starts. But it offers nothing but food, growth, and faith. There's no culture, gold, or science to sweeten the pot and nothing to help handle population growth. It also requires aggressive expansion to have a chance to found without offering any yields that might help alleviate expansion pains. Now top that off with the requirement to prioritize Shrines and Wells, two buildings that also don't offer culture, gold, or science and it demands a lot of short term sacrifice for it's long term power.

2. Giza

Giza Chieftain

God of the expanse : I tried it with authority and I could found a religion with it. If you time your expands just after after the free settler policy (which also gives 30 culture/science when settling). This gives you an automatic tile expansion. You can also use the extra production to produce a shrine faster. Of course, you also need to get to the settler policy ASAP, by clearing barb camps as fast as you can. The main benefit of this pantheon is that you basically get bonuses without having to build anything (except settlers of course), and you get them immediately (no need to wait for a building or an improvement). The benefits wear off in the mid-game though... so I have mixed feelings (maybe i'll try it with russia).

God of craftsman : I agree it's completely useless if you wish to found.

God of the sea : I founded often with this. You need to have sea luxuries and beeline fishing, and get to 5 cities (with sea resources) as fast as you can. The benefits of fishing boats is that they are built instantly, so you faith generation is online faster than other improvement or building related pantheons. You main problem with this strategy will be defense. You can avoid barbs by embarking your settlers (another indirect benefit of going for fishing early), but if a warmongering AI decides to attack you in the early game, you are basically screwed.

I would also add Goddess of Springtime to the list. Very hard to found with, even if the rewards are interesting. You need to research two second-level techs to get it's full benefits.

3. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

@Gazebo is there code to give god of expanse +1:c5culture: for border expansion only?

4. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

You only need 1 to get the faith, and the yields are really good.

Owlbebach likes this.
  5. pintocat

pintocat Warlord

I see a lot of comments about communitas map. I've been using it for years... What do most people use?

6. vyyt

vyyt Deity

There are several threads about this - try Googling them. The popular ones are Tectonic (not Tectonics), Planet Simulator, Fractal, Continents++, Donut, Pangea++. I hope haven't forgotten some.

7. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

25% growth is a lot, an extra 4 food per city adds a lot to early growth (its effecitvely
    I've founded with it multiple times at the highest difficult. You can get a lot of quarries because they cover 5 luxury resources and a bonus resource, its bonus to monuments is very good. You just have to expand really quickly, probably taking progress to get them improved faster.

8. infidel88

infidel88 Prince

I would go with Spirit of the Desert being total crap to be honest. It doesn't scale at all and you have to have A LOT of desert for those 1 :c5gold::c5production::c5faith: to be worth it, considering how poor otherwise those tiles are and you will get plenty of totally empty useless tiles - if you get huge desert. And yes, in theory you can get 5-6 :c5faith: from one desert city (usually capital), however other cities will rarely get you more than 2:c5faith: from this pantheon. And since unimproved tiles (incense, stone, gold) are usually totally crap 1:c5culture::c5gold: or so, even boosted by pantheon, they aren't much better. Yeah, 6:c5food:2:c5gold: oasis can be a lifesaver, but otherwise faith output here isn't that huge.

9. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I can get 18 yields from it in my capital. How many cities do most other pantheons need to approach those numbers?

An empty desert tile with a resource on it gains 1 production now. So stone starts out same as a hill, with this pantheon its a worthwhile tile for sure. Compare empty desert incense it to a plains incense, you only lose 1 food. And it applies to the tiles without improving them, its a really good pantheon

Owlbebach likes this.
  10. pza

pza Prince

for future reference, here it is: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vox-populi-pantheon-comparison-religion-race.628580/

11. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

Not every capitol desert starts has 18 ressources around it. And I dont think you were able to unlock 18 tiles with your capitol in time, before religions are founded.
    I like the pantheon too, but in my opinion, the oasis buff is a bit crappy. Often enough, theres plenty of desert but none oasis. Giving cities a flat 3 food if on or adjectend to desert would balance it better. Else I would give ressources the former food bonus back but make an improvement necessary.

12. EriktheRead

EriktheRead Chieftain

I usually play tectonic, huge, 14 civs, king, legend start resources. The extras civs and the large amount of resources coupled with the huge amount of terrain makes founding incredibly competitive. If I want to be the first to found (turn 60-80 depending, important if I want theocratic rule) I go for one of the the pantheons that does not require improvements (desert, lakes) and roll starts until I get a solid one (6-8 faith in the capital circle, with enough for 6-8 faith for the next two cities combined). If i just want to found, others become useful ( camps, tundra, fish, a few others), but I still have to aim for turn 90-100 to guarantee a religion. Sometimes they last longer, esp if there are no faith heavy civs, but you cant count on it.

There are many that I cant count on founding with in this game mode (love, expanse, earth mother, renewal), without a faith ruin.

13. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

I believe he said 18 "yields", not tiles buffed. If it gives 3 yields per relevant tile then you only need 6 tiles to get those values.

CrazyG likes this.