Paratrooper AI

peter450

Prince
Would it hurt to add some other AI types to paratroopers in XML? like unit AI attack etc

AI hardly ever builds paratrooper despite them being of equal str to marines, they never seem to use this unit much with it's default paradrop AI, and maybe the addition of more AI types might see it built more?

They're tactical units and I'd venture a guess quite difficult to get the AIs to use properly.

On flat ground against a target with infantry or better, they're quite frankly garbage unless used tactically. Infantry easily defeats paratroopers both heads up and cost-effectively, meaning that the only viable use or paratroopers is in conjunction with concentrated, well-timed air power or a massive tech lead. These do not sound like situations the AI handles well to me, so paratroopers tend to fall by the wayside.

I saw them in AI hands in a recent game and they were infantry food after paradropping...and if adding them to a city attack stack you might as well make tanks, infantry, or even marines (which at least get a bonus vs arty) instead.

Good points, it's a shame the paradrop AI is not a bit more advanced, but i guess like you you say it would be very difficult to get an AI to use such a unit effectively

Like already mentioned in the other thread: paratroopers are good at defending (drop from city to city)... but that's something the AI will never do. :lol:

Top Bottom