1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Paratroopers and interception

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by PawelS, Sep 19, 2010.

1. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Does anyone know if paratroopers can be intercepted by enemy fighters or AA units? I'm in the "gameplay > realism" camp, but I think it would be good for gameplay too if it's not too easy to jump behind the enemy lines, and it's counterintuitive if your paratroopers land intact when there are lots of fighters and AA guns nearby.

2. drowzyus360

drowzyus360 Chieftain

last demo i saw they just dropped with no plane animation so i couldnt really tell....
    i always wondered whether paratroopers would be effective as people just build tanks when the modern age is reached. I guess if you're fighting against infantry they would be pretty useful. Cant wait!

3. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

In Civ 2 you were unable to paradrop if fighters were near by. (ZoC)

4. berni19

berni19 Chieftain

I am also fun of realism as it could be...i think that in this case they should leave the paratroopers open dive route as their primary mission is surprise and to make as fuzz in enemy territory as they could. perhaps only think the creators should have done is to drop their HP to be more vulnerable to anti-air unit, not fighters..my two cents..;)

5. Jonkenden

Jonkenden Chieftain

The manual doesn't seem to state anything on this, but I'm guessing it's going to be like in civ 4. They being able to avoid interception at 50 % chance or something

6. Wolle68

Wolle68 Warlord

Page 49 of the manual:

7. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

There should be a chance for the paratroopers to be intercepted, and it appears that this is indeed possible. However, once the opponent used up all intercepts, you can go nuts if you have any paratroopers left...

8. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

When you drop a paratrooper onto a strategic resource, will your opponent lose control that resource until your unit is removed the tile? If so, paratroopers will be a great unit to harass your enemy and keep their forces occupied from the front!

9. Booshaka

Booshaka Chieftain

As a former paratrooper that's pretty much the point, get behind the lines, and get to strategic points (we always trained alot to take airfields) and generally cause disruptions. I also like that they unit icon has the maroon beret, which is the mark of US Army paratroopers.

10. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

it said they could be intercepted in the manual.

11. Multiball

Multiball Chieftain

It's also what the British parachute brigade, wears.

12. Selous

Selous King

also british and aussi paras ... aussi paras are "cherry red"

13. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Thanks, I haven't noticed it. Good news for me.