paratroopers are worthless?

Bogardian

Chieftain
Hey, do you think that marines as well as paratroopers are worthless even in modern era?

I whink that the only game type in which paratroopers could be useful is a game with a lot of mountains and shortage of aluminium, oil and uranium.

Hey, do you think that marines as well as paratroopers are worthless even in modern era?

I whink that the only game type in which paratroopers could be useful is a game with a lot of mountains and shortage of aluminium, oil and uranium.

I have never used either of them to be honest.

The devs watched 'A Bridge too far' and then designed paratroopers based on that (Operation Market Garden, just saying but probably not needed since I am fairly certain 90+% of the people here know the movie and the battle well).

There are occassion where paras can be useful, but these are quite rare. I used them once so far, attacking France situated behind a large mountain range on a Pangea continent. My tanks and other forces needed 3 to 4 turns to reach the first city and only one unit could cross the mountain range per turn, so I dropped 2 paras in enemy territory after moving a scout into a gap in the mountain range and then used bombers. After the first turn I was able to cap the first 2 cities. Marines on the other hand tend to be useless on everything other then archipelago maps.

Well, they're more useful than marines in the sense that they provide for some kind of niche role. If the area you're attacking presents you with a number of choke-points paratroopers can effectively bypass the obstacles entirely. Even if there's no choke point in the way it is, some times, nice to be able to have units that are not going to get bogged down behind your carpet of doom. It's a very limited role but it's still pretty useful. Unlike marines which were effectively rendered obsolete when they allowed naval ships to capture whole cities.

I never build paratroopers, but when I get them as CS gifts I always find them very useful, particularly after I've deployed a bomber fleet -- drop them behind enemy lines, over mountain ranges, etc. Much quicker way of taking cities.

Probably a lesson in there somewhere ... I should probably build them more often, particularly when long dom games are dragging on. Also, their animations are more interesting than most, and in BNW they will upgrade to super units (silly, but probably pretty fun).

I love them, but I don't build more than one or two. They are great if you work down a cities health from a distance, then have your PT swoop in for the capture.

Paratroopers are certainly more useful than marines I've found due to paratroopers, when combined with bombers, being great for city-sniping.

Marines, bless their useless little hearts, lost all meaning once melee ships gained the ability to take cities.

I've used them before as a quick way of transport. It's not often that I have, but in the case that a Civ is separating me from a newly conquered city and no roads, ill use a paratrooper to get them where I need to be ASAP so I can at least have some sort of defense built up

lol it's funny that it was mentioned someone loves them when gifted from a CS, i feel the same way. when that happens, paras are sometimes great advance spotters in enemy territory, particularly choke pointed, rough terrain that you'd rather not just blitzkrieg your fresh undamaged armor and artillery through w/o having a good look first. and then once landed they then also serve as a roadblock with their ZOC in case the enemy does have a rush planned for your squishy artillery.

but yeah, actually building them, no.

I've had games where I've not needed them and, like others have posted, only have them when they get sent to me by the CS's.

However, as one other poster mentioned, they can be quite essential when terrain is presenting chokeholds for your invasion force. I think that can be explained a bit deeper.

The two ways I see a use for them:

Chokepoints (Mountains) When the enemy has wisely used terrain to box you out of an invasion, this can be the only way to break the line. I was playing an Earth map and expanded Polynesia into the west coast of North America. On the other side of the Rocky Mountains was a well-entrenched Tradition-defense-bonused Spain. They occupied the LA/Baja chokepoint. First I was glad to have a paratrooper to jump the Rockies, use my Bombers, fortify, and jump back the following turn. And then capturing was easy using a similiar technique.The continent broke quickly for me after that, but I don't know how I would have done it without paratroopers.

Blitzkrieg But even when mountains and chokeholds aren't the issues, when you are using a lightning-war strategy, nothing can beat the paratroopers' ability to leap forward, ruch then fortify, then capture. It's amazing and allows you to roll very quickly which can be important when you hold a narrow tech lead and needs to capture cities fast.

I doubt you'd ever need more then 3 in an invasion force and I often only use 1, but hey have their uses.

Oh hell no! Paratroopers are easily one of the best units in the game when done right. These are just a few of the things I love doing with these extremely versitile troops:
1. Vise grip: I you drop paratroopers just behind enemy front line, you get an instant 10% flanking bonus on the enemy. That's not so cool right, since the paratrooper cannot attack that turn? Well, drop two paras and attack the enemy with two tanks. You get a 30% flanking bonus and cut off the line of retreat for units in FIVE TILES, and that's if you only use two (for each paratrooper beyond the first add two tiles) ensuring a massacre as the enemy are forced to either continue the assault while being shot in the back, or they have to fight you paratroops after being battered to hell, and will fall swiftly.
2. Stealth conquer: Alright, now what do you so if the enemy are actually in your territory, killing your dudes? Well, you can move the fight back to his land! Simply drop in your paratroops around the nearest border city, and use there sight to spot for bombers. The city and whatever light defenders it may have can't possibly kill all of them, and next turn you can bomb them again before sacking the city, pulling the pressure off your civ or even securing a peace!
3. Leapfrog battle: alright, lets say the enemy is too far to bomb/ strike, and they're still in your land. Now what? Well, the paratrooper is actually quite a compotent defense troop as well, thanks to its teleporting capabilities. Despite their lower combat strength, the paratroops while fortified fight with the strength of an unfortified infantry. This can hold the enemy for some time if you mix them in with your regular ground forces. And, any time your paratroopers are in red health, simply teleport them out of the fray and teleport in a new trooper. This allows you to have a very strong force of weaker units, as your paratroopers will constantly rearm and resupply, acting as a force multiplier.
These are only a few of the awesome tactics you can pull with paratroopers, and the sooner you get them, the better! It does require a lot of thinking outside the box, but I enjoy that, as it represents how paratroopers really fought. I can actually say I was a little disapointed the US didn't have an "Airbourne" UU, replacing the paratrooper.
Ps. Paratroopers are even better in the hands of the US, the incans, and the persians.

I use the paratroopers when I can't send any other troops near there but I find that they're very weak style of troops.

Thank god for BNW, we have a Paratrooper replacement... The Z Com squad which seems to be pretty powerfull

Paratroopers are cool . Like Marines if they were not in the game we would be complaining ha ha . But there cool that 's good enough for me :lol: . The only time I use them is when I have a large army and I m kicking butt or they I dont feel like using alot of hammers on something better . Throw them into my dominant army to use in a specialty manner . Make its fun to run the score up . Almost like putting a bench player in at the end of the game lol . When he scores your like OOOOHHHH even he scored on you guys . U suck . Lol

I wouldn't complain about the lack of marines, given that melee ships are pretty much the same thing because they do the same thing.

Paras are pretty fun in an island heavy area or as bridge destroyers. You can drop in on the first turn of war and take out railroads for production or roads to slow enemy reinforcements. I really like them but it would be great to have them earlier in the tech tree.

Yeah, I find that the closer the game is, the more useful they are. If you have a 40-turn tech lead and a 2 to 1 production advantage, you just roll forward with Tanks and Bombers. You can minimize your investment by retreating the wounded Tanks, so then you don't have to build/buy more units. But then again, if you're winning by that wide of a margin, it doesn't really matter what you do.

But when the Immortal/Diety AI is the one with the tech and military lead, you're already throwing away 1-2 Infantry per turn on its Rocket Artillery/Bomber shots. One meatshield is as good as the next in that spot. What I find myself doing is dropping 2-3 paratroopers up next to their city, pummelling the city and any RA I find with my air force, then hoping that one of the Paratroopers will survive the turn to cap the city. You can't really do that with Infantry, since the same number will all get killed or have to retreat by the time they get to the city. Tanks often have trouble getting there in one turn also, and Paratroopers don't use Oil besides, so that's one more Bomber/Fighter that you're allowed to build. In that kind of a spot, I will use Air as my main military arm, whatever Rocket Artillery I have Aluminum for, a few Tanks to exploit holes, and Paratroopers are my go-to unit for city capping. They take losses like it was D-day, but they're the only unit that can do it at all.

I kind of wish that infantry would upgrade to paratroopers, and that machine guns would upgrade to mech infantry (which would then be a ranged unit).

Paratroopers do have a very useful ability, it's just that late-game units that have to be hard-built are always going to be underused. And I hate how machine guns can lose their range at the end of their upgrade path. SO this would fix both of those (relatively minor) issues.

Marines were made somewhat redundant in G&K because of the vastly improved naval warfare. I still like to build them when I want land units to have a presence on conquered islands or continents as well as destroyers holding captured cities - you can have one ship, one land unit for two defending units total. I never have any use for paratroopers sadly. But I probably would if they could drop and attack in the same turn.

Top Bottom