1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Parents of 'ex-gay' student threaten lawsuits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Talkie_Toaster, Jul 23, 2009.

1. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

who tagged this "the homosexual demon"?

2. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Again, we have no actual idea what this guy's financial status was. Living at home is more probable, but it's entirely possible he went over for a visit and had his effect taken away. It's a common enough event in these situations. Allot of drug interventions would qualify if they didn't have the presence of a licensed therapist.

3. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Dude. What your taking about is crazy illegal. It's pretty much at the same level of rape. You really think the parents can get away with this? If that was the case, where are the cops?

It's far more likely and common that this kid (23 or not, he's not a man) is a mommy's boy who does anything his told, like eating his Broccoli.

4. capslock

capslock Emperor

The kid errr dude is 23 years old. LOL at his mommy taking his phone rofl

Maybe he wanted to go? Moderator Action: Removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

5. civ_king

6. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

According to another webpage:

7. Miles Teg

It happens. People commit their loved ones for a variety of reasons, some more legal (and sane) then others. Their are huge legal controversies over it. Read up on the subject. In this case, I'm reserving judgment.

8. capslock

capslock Emperor

rofl, this has to be made up

9. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

It's not particularly surprising that a pre-med student is financially dependent on his parents. :dunno:

10. civ_king

listen to yourself...

11. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Easy...you open the door and put one foot in front of the other. Even you will have to do this some day.

He coulda moved in with his boyfriend.

But from what I have read about this he released a statement that he has done all of this by his choice...so its not kidnapping or anything like that.

Had a similar issue in my house. My oldest daughter was getting into an internet relationship with an Iranian boy living in Canada. He started sending her stuff, and she actually lied about some of it. She was even planning some trip up to Canada to meet him. However, my wife and I both got some red flags in regards to it..something just wasnt right. My wife had talked to the boy online and he was very anti-usa, etc. I asked why he couldnt come see her in the USA, and she said he just couldnt for some reason. Hmmm. That really made me suspicious. So we ended up giving her a similar ultimatum. She could pursue her relationship with this iranian boy....but if she did so she couldnt live here with us any more as we simply were going to support it since we didnt agree with it. She broke it off. Now a few months later, she ended up finding out he was kind of weird, as the day she called him to tell him about all this he got upset at his sister on the phone and litterally cussed her out and treated her bad while my daughter was on the phone with him. She's actually kind of glad we stood firm and made her make a decision about it...and now she is about to move in with her sister and two other girls in a townhouse here locally and keep going to community college.

So do I regret making my child make that decision? Hell no.

12. Miles Teg

Link? All I've found is something about the Mother saying that her kid had told journalists that he thought the site was stupid, but wouldn't say what journalists, and admitted that the boyfriend would never get the "face to face request" he had requested before taking down the website.

13. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Why in the hell are people blaming the gay guy for this, when they should be blaming the parents for unbelievable and undeniable bigotry?!?! :confused:

14. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

Because if the guy is 23 and still that dependent on his parents then he is a total loser regardless of the rest of the details.

15. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

He's a pre-med student.

16. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

Listen, living with your parents while you're 23 is unusual, yes. Justification for kidnap and unlawful imprisonment on the parents' whim? Less so. Frankly, some of the comments in this thread are disgusting.

17. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Yeah, I mean, just because you're financially dependent on someone doesn't give that someone the right to dictate how you live your life. In the past, women were entirely dependent on men for their finances; the men went off to work and earned a living, and the women stayed at home, without education and without any means of earning their own living. And I'd imagine a lot of women were perfectly content with this; indeed, even nowadays, many women consent to such an arrangement (for a long time after I was born, my mum didn't have a job and was dependent on my dad for money).

But that never did nor now does give the husband the right to dictate how a woman dresses, who they speak to, when they leave the house, etc. And any husband attempting to punish a woman for behaving in a way they dislike by sending her to some special "corrective facility" intent on changing their behaviour through indoctrination and brainwashing would be considered by any civilised man to be utterly contemptible and barbaric, and deserving of all the vilification it is possible to shower on such a lowly creature. No-one would blame the woman for not having her own means.

Well, that's not true. People in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan might blame the woman for not behaving in a way that the husband desires. People in backward nations with backward ideas on how a woman should behave would think that the husband was not only quite within his rights to punish her and send her to the behaviour camp, but morally obligated and duty bound to do so, in order to correct her behaviour and remould her into something less evil, and more goodly in the eyes of god.

And apparently, some people still feel the same way about gays.

18. uppi

uppi Deity

No, but unless the supporters are legally required to give that support (and in that case you can sue, as you can if someone takes you property against your will) that support can be made conditional and can certainly be withdrawn whenever they want.

That boy can always walk out, sue his parents for whatever he is entitled to and make his own life. It is his choice to go along with the will of his parents.

19. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

What you're saying is that there's no law against bigotry. And that's true. But that doesn't make them any less bigoted, and I'll still criticise them for being bigots.

20. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Would you let your daughter date me?