1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Parents of 'ex-gay' student threaten lawsuits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Talkie_Toaster, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

There are good reasons for punishing your child and there are bad reasons for punishing your child. I'll support the good reasons and criticse the bad.

2. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Where is this unlawful force? This is just no way that 23ry old is entailed to anything from his parents. their house and their money, their rules.

And so what if he is pre-med? So little rich spoiled boy whos mommy and daddy paid for everything for 23yrs is entitled to more money??? Hes parents are jerk, welcome to REAL life.

And this had nothing to do with being gay. I've seen this same story with my own friends. Stop dating immature mommy boys who wont leave there batsh$t crazy parents.

If you believe there is a kidnapping STOP posting and call 911 now!

3. Mark1031

Mark1031 Deity

4. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

Nothing to do with being gay? They sent him to a camp to cure his homosexuality! He's not entitled to more money, but he's sure as hell entitled not to be coerced into a brainwashing camp. I neither know nor care if he's the most immature spoiled brat alive, nobody should be bullied into something like this. Frankly they should outlaw the whole lot of them, the methods they use are of questionable legality at best.

And EVEN IF they managed to get him to agree to go after harassing him and threatening to throw him out on the street with nothing, there's strong evidence that he wants to leave now, and there's a word for holding someone against their will, and last time I checked the US constitution didn't say it was all that lawful.

Oh, and I wouldn't imagine me calling 911 would help much, since I don't live in the USA and would probably just get a dialling tone.

5. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

They took his car keys, phone and money?

Oh well then he had no choice. He had to go. They might as well as held a gun to his head and shoved him into a van.

I mean usually when people steal your car, cellphone and money you call the police right? But obviously that was completely out of the question right?

Unless of course it wasn´t his car, money, cellphone etc. Then I gotta say tough luck.

6. Talkie_Toaster

For God's sake, not another one.

NO IT IS NOT OK TO DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU LIKE TO PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE FINANCIALLY DEPENDANT ON YOU.

Thanks.

7. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Does manipulating people with money make one a giant douchebag? Yes. Does it make one a kidnapper? No. Does being finacially dependant on one´s parents absolve one of responsibility and free will? No.

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

It's the parents who are in the wrong here and it's the parents whose behaviour needs to be criticised. Nothing else is relevant.

9. Talkie_Toaster

Well, using coercion and threats to make someone go to a place they have clearly stated they do not wish to go to and then holding them there against their will sounds like a pretty textbook case of kidnapping to me.

10. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Yes, but they are still financially dependent upon their parents, and when they "leave" home, they stay at uni form term time, and return home for the holidays and end of term.

Seriously, less than maybe 10% of undergrad students today actually are completely dependent from their parents.

11. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

these people suck and should be put down. no, not the guy, the parents.

completely off-topic: talkie toaster, if you're the same guy who made the companion share and recruit mod, you rock.

12. Talkie_Toaster

Agreed.
    Sadly I'm not. Never seen someone with the same username before though...:eek:

13. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Because threatening your son with financial coercion (and threatening his future career) and threatening to disown him in order to have him join an ex-gay camp is objectively immoral.

14. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Sometimes you have to see the Youtube videos to really understand the plight of gay 23-year-olds with affluent parents.

Link to video.

Link to video.

15. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Well, for starters your married. And then everything after that as well. :lol:

As I have already stated I have no problems with parents making a child make an adult choice of the path they wish to take. I have said that I would still love my children if they made that choice, but I never said I would support them in that choice. I dont believe in supporting behavior I see as sinful in my children, and I believe it would be wrong of me to support such behavior. If my child were an alcoholic, should I give her a 20 for a bottle of booze? Or should I not give her cash to support her habit and try to get her to make a choice to get rehab?

I love my kids (always will), but part of that love and part of being a parent is in trying to steer them into making choices I think good for them.

Case in point, I just refused to sign a loan for my oldest daughters 2nd year of school online because she didnt perform responsibly in her first year. I gave her alternate choices for her education (i.e. I want her to attend a local community college first) that I would indeed support, and its up to her if she wants to choose that path or an alternate one on her own.

Thats parenting and also empowering your kids to make their own decisions.

And what if he comes out of this claiming he isnt that way?

Drawing a line and allowing your child to make a decision isnt punishment. Its actually empowering them. The kid could have chosen to walk away from his parents and do his own thing. He is 23....as an adult he absolutely can make that choice.

Pretty sure that the 'threaten to disown him' comment is currently unsubstantiated and is simply an assumption. I didnt see any actual proof of that in the OP, unless its given by the dude objecting to the family, which would also be simple assumption on his part.

And as has been pointed out...he is an adult. Financial coercion is indeed legitimate and utterly lawful by the parents. Its his choice to make to accept it or not. Like I said, I am under no obligation to support my kids fiscally in behavior I dont think is good/beneficial for them or that I dont agree with. I dont think thats immoral at all. My house...my money...my rules. Dont like it? Go your own way and good luck.

16. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

17. Catharsis

Catharsis catch u on the flip scythe

This man is straight he is an ex-gay he has ceased to bi.

18. Bill3000

I posted it earlier:

I don't care if it's currently legal, or if you think that you have the right to do it. You don't. I don't care one iota about parenting "rights"; you have obligations, not rights; "rights" are merely excuses for child abuse. It's objectively immoral to coerce your child to an ex-gay camp, no matter how old he or she is. End of story. :) Parents who alienate their children because they are homosexual are committing immoral acts. Coercion or alienation might be good for some decisions that a child makes, but not this.

19. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

And thats based upon who saying that? Oh yeah, the guy thats against the family. Right.

You think it could be biased much? Maybe?

Again...its my money isnt it?

I think I do have the right to do it. Absolutely.

Simply because you think your parents should fund every behavior you decide to engage it doesnt make it right, either. I think it irresponsible parenting myself.

Again...my money...my rules.

And this isnt uncommon either. My wifes dad had a rule for her in college as well. If she didnt make at least a C average in school he wouldnt fund it. Said he wasnt going to waste his hard earned cash to pay for failure. And fwiw, I think he was right to do so.

Another example. My wifes sister. My father-in-law also had money saved up for her for college as well...but she would only get it if she went to college. She opted not to. My in-laws took a big vacation on her college money instead. Were they wrong to do that? I dont think so.

Again, their money. Their rules.

So, if and when you have kids...you will fund their drug and alcohol problem? Let them do what they want even if you think its hurting them?

I dont have an obligation to fund my childs behavior I dont agree with. None, whatsoever.

And your terribly wrong even to suggest it.

The guy is 23. He chose to go. End of story.

Who's alienating? This kid chose his parents....not the gay guy trying to get him in the sack. Thats apparently ruffled a few boa feathers. /oh well.

Again...at 23...this isnt a child we are talking about.

20. Bill3000

I don't particularly care about the opinions of parents who send their child to an ex-gay camp. They are monsters. Of course the boyfriend is biased - biased towards justice. Also, I'd like to remind you that the OP is from a gay magazine in the first place, so don't try to mistrust the authority of the source.

Mobby, I'm not talking about refusing to fund college if one's child is doing poorly in school, or refusing to fund a drug habit. I'm talking about refusing to fund college because one's child is homosexual. This is objectively immoral, and I don't care if you have the legal right, it's still wrong. You may disagree that it's wrong, (and you'd be deadly wrong about it) but I think you can at least understand my point - it's not the instrument that is the problem, it's what it's being used for. Besides, again, we're not merely talking about funding the son's trips to his boyfriend's house, we're talking about kicking him out of the house, taking away his financial and job connections and thus ruining his career in medicine, and alienating him from his family, or go to an ex-gay camp.

He hardly "chose." He had to either break off from his boyfriend and have his gayness "cured" and traumatizing himself, or ruin his future and alienation from his family. It was coercion.