Paris : A world city

Marla_Singer said:
To sum it up, the largest foreign communauties in France are Algerian, Armenian, Beninese, Bengali, Burkinabe, Cambodian, Cameroonese, Centrafrican, Chadian, Chinese, Congolese, Egyptian, Gabonese, Guinean, Haitian, Indian, Iranian, Italian, Ivorian, Lao, Malagasi, Malian, Moroccan, Nigerian, Pakistanese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Rwandese, Senegalese, Spaniard, Togolese, Tunisian and Vietnamese .

What about the British? I was under the impression that were several hundred thousand Brits living in France especially in the south. Is that not that many? Or is it because of our innate ability to blend in seemlessly with a foreign population wherever we go that you just don't notice? :D

That guy herding goats could be a bedouin tribesman or it could be Kevin from Illford. Or the guy on his bicycle who is on the way to sell some onions could be French but HE might be Kevin from Illford. You just don't know!

You might be Kevin from Illford!! :eek:

Birdjaguar said:
I thought so, but I didn't want you to disappoint every CFC under the age of 30 with an accidental announcement that you were no longer available. :D

I'm disappointed to find that it isn't the case. The other arrangement sounded far more interesting :) .

"The husband of my wife." She declares.
And a hundred posters despair.
What arrangement was this?
An odd French wedded bliss?
Alas, we discover t'was in translation she errs.

My appologies to Miss Marla ;)

Marla_Singer said:
No, Toronto is simply the city with the most foreign born citizens. That's very different. We can summarize multiculturalism or diversity to such a mere figure.

I don't think multi-culturalism is seriously something we can rank, seriously. Especially when it goes about a city like Paris and this for many reasons.

Diversity is just that. A mere figure. Multiculturalism , however, is not.

Firstly, most of the people in those pictures aren't foreign born, but they are actually French (and born in France). That's true for many cities which have a long tradition of welcoming immigrants such as New York or London.

Secondly, Paris can't be summarized to Paris . The municipality of Paris represents only 2 million people, the metropolitan area represents 10 million people. Considering Paris could be summarized to those 2 million people is about the same as summarizing NYC to Manhattan. That's due to the high complexity in Paris' administrative division (There are 450 different municipalities sharing the same streets only in the metropolitan area !).

Not sure where any of this came from or what it has to do with anything. :crazyeye:

Finally, what makes of Paris a city different than Berlin or Toronto (which are growing multicultural very fast in these days) is that France had a colonial past. France had been once the capital city of a large colonial empire which was present in Africa, the Carribbeans, the Middle East, South East Asia and the Pacific. Cities like Brussels, Paris and of course London share this past in common. Since the 18th century actually, there had been endlessly waves of immigration in those cities.

What do you call that place.... ooh! The New World?!

It would be folly to think that it was populated by immigrants! What an absurd thought!

:lol:

My point is not to rank things, I'm simply saying we compare different thing. I talk about cultures, you talk about statistics. By the way, that makes me think that the husband of my sister is from Montreal. During his stay in Paris, he had been shocked by the diversity of the Parisian population in the subway.

Diversity is easily ranked. Multiculturalism I think could be rated, but would remain extremely subjective.

Now, I have been to Paris. Have you ever been to Toronto?

Well, you already know how look the Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame.

There is for more to Paris than that. As I am sure you know.

That wasn't so hard. I found Waldo

Attachments

• waldo.JPG
    waldo.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 197
Marla_Singer said:

The Bundestag.
At least the building still holds the name "Reichstag". :king: :scan:

Marla_Singer said:
I think that only New York and London are more multicultural than Paris.

Nope, Toronto beats you to. Almost half of its population wasn't even born in Canada.

Sobieski II said:
Nope, Toronto beats you to. Almost half of its population wasn't even born in Canada.
Paris ranks far below cities like Miami, Toronto, Sydney, and even Marseille when we talk about foreign born citizens.

But you don't have a Chinatown in Marseille and Paris have more population from North Africa that Marseille. You have 2 big chinatowns in the 13th and the 11th district (arrondissement), an Indian district called "Little Jaffna", a Japanese district (350 japanese restaurants in Paris area), city and suburbs and a lot of districts from africa, muslims and black people, French people from the Carribeans. What do they have in Toronto, Sydney, Vancouver or San Francisco ? Chinese people and not more. Nobody from africa.

Every continents are in paris.

Goonie said:
Now, I have been to Paris. Have you ever been to Toronto?
No, but I've been several times in Montreal, my brother-in-law is from there. And seriously, Montreal doesn't even nearly hold the comparison.

More pictures :)

13th District (cantonese speaking Chinatown) :

Buddhist temple for South East asian Chinese.

Jewish District :
(the traditional one, around the Rue des Rosiers)

this thread makes me want to ggo to paris, and have chinese food, or mcdonalds :goodjob:

Cheers for the Berlin piccies as well Marla, i am going there tomorrow :D
Paris is multicultural, but i agree that London is pretty multicultural too.

Marla you are right. Toronto has no such thing as Chinatown or little Italy or Portugal vilage. No Greektown, Indian bazaar, Koreatown, little poland. :rolleyes:

Seriously Marla, give up. Paris pales in comparison to some other multicultural cities around the globe. Ethnic neighboorhoods are not solely Parisian. Big deal. That is not Paris' strength.

Some stats on Toronto.
Visible minority=42.8%
Home Language:
English 56.15%
French 0.23%
Chinese 4.56%
Italian 1.39%
Tamil 1.19%
Portuguese 1.11%
Spanish 0.83%
Russian 0.66%
Persian 0.62%
Punjabi 0.58%
Vietnamese 0.57%

Top ten ethnic origins:
Canadian
English
Chinese
Scottish
Irish
Italian
East Indian
Jewish
French German

Just for reference, we can settle this by numbers. As Goonie says, we have many ethnic communities in Toronto-- some street signs are in Chinese.
Don't get me wrong-- I would rather live in Paris, but that's for other reasons, not multiculturalism.

Source: http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/pdf2/all_toronto_full.pdf
2001 census

Goonie said:
Seriously Marla, give up. Paris pales in comparison to some other multicultural cities around the globe. Ethnic neighboorhoods are not solely Parisian. Big deal. That is not Paris' strength.
You fool ! Saying Paris is not multicultural simply proves your ignorance. And, it is indeed one of Paris biggest strength.

I've never said Toronto was not mulitcultural, this thread is not about Toronto by the way but how dare you say Paris is not ? Toronto is indeed a multicultural city, with many immigration coming mostly (if not only) from Asia. But how many muslims live in Toronto ? How many Black people live in Toronto ? How many jews live in Toronto ?

Don't deny Paris multiculturalism without even knowing that city. :shakehead

You guys talk as if 'multi-culturalism' was a 'good' thing. As if it were something to brag about... :hmm: Well, you can go ahead and win that contest, as far as I'm concerned. I already have enough 'multi-culturalism' here in America, more than enough. :mischief: Glad to hear you guys have your fair share, plus some. Makes me feel better about my own place... :goodjob:

Marla_Singer said:
You fool !

-That just totally made my day... :lol:

Taliesin said:
Some stats on Toronto.

Just for reference, we can settle this by numbers. As Goonie says, we have many ethnic communities in Toronto-- some street signs are in Chinese.
Don't get me wrong-- I would rather live in Paris, but that's for other reasons, not multiculturalism.
That's an interesting exercice. You're posting stats about Toronto and then conclude from those stats, which are strictly about Toronto, that Paris is not multicultural. :hmm:

Top Bottom