1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Paris : A world city

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Marla_Singer, Oct 22, 2004.

1. PantheraTigris2

PantheraTigris2 Chieftain

And you know what's funny... is that using the principles of my revolutionary actual surface land area theory... The U.S. stays in 3rd place... but Canada goes from 2nd to 4th - switching places with China. China, technically has more land area than the U.S. However the U.S. has more "total area" that China.

But anything that'll put us over the Canucks - is a good move in my book! Fine - I'll say that China has more land. I can take it. But Canada loses 2 ranks... down to 4th spot, beneath us on the list, as they should be.

And if all that ice melted, Brazil would no doubt be #4... :p

....erm... of course the U.S. might lose some ground... if all that ice melted. :blush:

But yeah, things are good as they are. Canada - you just keep holding your ice... and we have more land than you do. All is right in the world.

Now..... you have NOTHING on us.

Muhuhahahha!!

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I'm still skeptical, (I can think of a few biases that may be impacting your statements), however I will grant you the following:
    1. You have demonstrated that Paris is indeed a very diverse city
    2. I do not have an adequate knowledge to confirm or deny your statement. (I should have stated that earlier and used more tentative language when playing Devil's advocate to Taliesin and PantheraTigris2)

That was paraphrasing an arguement, note how those were in reference to the previous poster's arguement. I probobly should've expressed it clearer with a "he was arguing" or "his point is".

Heck no! The amount I know about Paris is miniscule! Even after I make my short visit, I'd be in no position to judge

Indeed, however I do wonder if that diversity is seen in many other cities.

If I talk about it now I learn more and if I learn more I can better appreciate it over there. ;)

Of course let's not quibble about this, Paris is clearly a diverse city, let's celebrate its diversity rather than quibble about weather it's in the top ten of diverse cities.

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

W has just signed a bill giving Haliburton legal rights to the Gulf Stream. They are planning on charging Northern Europe for their mild climate unless the join the coalition against Iraq and pay for the war. France is apparently on top of the list for early collection. In case Europe refuses to pay, he has intorduced a new Homeland security program to build ice dams across the warm water flows and divert them to Africa. The Canadians sent representatives to Washington to object, but George thought they smuggling flu vacine across the border so he denied them entry.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Just to defend myself here... I was not the one who made this accusation (in fact, see my post directly after it). I don't know how my name got onto this quote.

5. General Joey

General Joey Chieftain

No, it's a French city :crazyeye:

6. AceChilla

AceChilla Goedheiligman

I don't know why everyone want's to be multicultural so much. What's so cool about that?

I think most city's in North-America are rather multiethnic than multicultural, and they should be glad they are. Nothing cool about having fundamentalist arab culture in your backyard. I would rather keep it silent then brag about it.

7. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

Yes. Let us throw in other cities like Toronto and Calgary aswell.

8. Goonie

:rotfl: :clap:

:beer:

:lol:

9. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

I don't want to be multicultural Drunk Master. It is simply that I live in a city which is largely multicultural and it's something very few expects. I'm not saying whether it's good or not. I'm simply stating a truth. The fact few people reject doesn't make it fake, it simply proves they are close-minded and unable to see the reality outside clichés.

10. AceChilla

AceChilla Goedheiligman

I understand your point. But it seemed like it became a contest about who was more multicultural. And I wondered why people were so proud of that.

Of course Paris is multicultural. Every mayor Western European city is. Paris has large sub-urbian getto's with 95% muslims full of poverty, crime and fundamentalism. Congratulations on your multiculturality.

11. Goonie

We aren't saying Paris isn't multi-cultural. We are saying that there are larger multi-cultural places and that you should be arguing Paris' strong points, not diversity.

12. Marla_Singer

:coffee:
    Obviously, we have to give proof about everything in this forum each time we say something :hmm:.

The big problem with France is that we don't have "racial" statistics because we consider there's only one Human race. Moreover, France is a secular country which considers religions to be private business and as such we don't have official religious statistics either. However, as you seem to be quite obtuse, I have looked over the Internet to find statistics (which is obviously your obsession).

Okay, there are 1,750,000 muslims in Paris area. In the whole Canada, muslims represent 400,000 people. In the same time, there are 420,000 jews in Paris area, whereas they are only 360,000 in the whole Canada. Paris is the European city holding the largest muslim communauty and the largest jewish communauty.

Now, about Asian or Black population, it's nearly impossible to have estimates. But I have still found local figures. Paris have 5 different Chinese and South East Asian districts. Moreover, several residential suburbs such as Torcy, Lognes or Choisy-le-Roi hosts large Asian population. The Chinese district of the 3rd arrondissement of Paris hosts a Chinese population between 20,000 and 30,000. The Chinese district of the 13th district hosts 250,000 Asians with 70% of Chinese. Finally, the Chinese district of Belleville (around the 11th and 19th arrondissments) host around 20,000 Chinese people coming mostly from Wenzhou, northest China, Tianjin, Qingdao, etc... I don't have figures for other districts but anyway, we can still summarize that there's at least 300,000 Asians living in Paris (knowing it excludes two districts and the suburbs... and that they don't all live in those districts).

13. Marla_Singer

Few Pictures of Barbès :
    Afro-Arab district.

14. Mario Feldberg

Mario Feldberg Chieftain

If TV wants to showcase failed immigration in Europe they always show certain suburbs of Paris. Based on what I've seen I would say that only US ghettos are worse.

15. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Paris really does look like a nice place to live in.

16. Ebitdadada

Ebitdadada Master Baiter

Here is my new Thread Idea: "Minneapolis: Road City" (I go to school in Minneapolis and thus live there now) Anyway, I'd just like to point out why Minneapolis should hold a special place in everyone's heart.

(I appoligize Marla, I'm sure Paris is more multicultural than most cities but I just can't help myself :D)

Here is a picture of a road in Minneapolis next to WCCO Radio, Voice of the Minnesota Twins:

Here is a picture of a road in Minneapolis, somewhere downtown.

A Large Road Sometimes Called A Freeway in Minneapolis, near downtown. This is a sort of super road and thus I feel we get extra points.

Finaly, a diagram showing roads in a suburb of Minneapolis. As you can see this suburb is chalk full o roads.

17. Marla_Singer

So what's your idea exactly ? That there are African districts as large as Barbès in every city in the world ?

Why don't you post me pictures of the African District of Minneapolis then ? ;)

18. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Do you have them in size order, and not only akphabetical?

19. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Elle te plait ma soeur? Tchic!!

(Buy a French version of Asterix in Corsica to understand that one )

20. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Chieftain

I pass in front of the painted truck every day on my way to work (I live in Belleville).
    Actually, because every white surface is very likely to end up tagged and painted in some aeras, owners of such white trucks sometime prefer to give "carte blanche" to hip-hop youngsters so that they will get a nice painting instead of unreadable "signatures" and trash/curse words. Some of these trucks have really cool drawings.
    On the multicultural thing, I tend to agree that Paris really is multicultural. Belleville alone is quite amazing : the main communities are asians, jews, and tunisians. You've got narguile bars right next to a synagogue, in front of a chinese restaurant. It's great !
    Now is it more or less cultural than other cities ? From my experience, it's more cultural than Stockholm or Praha, but on the same level as London. It's not such a big deal, methinks.

EDIT : oh, and about the road thing : no american city can compete with an european city on the "spaghetti-looking" road network contest. We don't have such things as right-angle crossroads and numbered streets, and the network is evolving since the middle-ages...