Paris Hilton is out of jail !?!

I get what you mean :lol:

but still no sympathies for that blonde bimbo

If you think she's treatet better for being a celebrity you miss the point.
She's treated better because she's rich.

If you think she's treatet better for being a celebrity you miss the point.
She's treated better because she's rich.

Very true.

But we're paying attention because she's a celebrity. Don't miss that point. This crap happens all the time, I'm sure, but you don't hear about it.

Very true.

But we're paying attention because she's a celebrity. Don't miss that point. This crap happens all the time, I'm sure, but you don't hear about it.

And not just for individuals, corporations and such benefit greatly from the legal system.

I'm just trying to see if I garner any support for my arguments in this thread since they are analogous to arguments made by some posters posting against me this very thread when the topic is slightly different. Paris using her financial resources to get a lawyer to get her a good deal would seem to be an ok result based on their arguments presented in other threads and I am merely seeing if any of them are willing to back me in making their arguments in this case.

You're trying to see if we are hypocrites or not, well, we're not. But not becuase of what you think (omg he is a capitilist but thinks money shouldn't buy everything!!@!#$!), Justice is soppuse to be blind.

SHARPTON BLASTS JUSTICE SYSTEM
Thu Jun 07 2007 11:45:47 ET

Reverend Al Sharpton, President of National Action Network, and one of the country's foremost leaders for civil rights, is blasting the justice system for what appears to be favoritism in the early release of Paris Hilton.

"Though I have nothing but empathy for Ms. Hilton whom I have met and appeared with on Saturday Night Live the night I hosted in 2003, this early release gives all of the appearances of economic and racial favoritism that is constantly cited by poor people and people of color. There are any number of cases of people who handle being incarcerated badly and even have health conditions that are not released.

I have served several sentences for civil rights and civil disobedience actions and I even fasted which caused health concerns to prison authorities who paid for a doctor to come see me daily rather than release me. This act smacks of the double standards that many of us raise
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

Looks like Al Sharpton is on board with the majority in this thread.

It's just because she's rich and a celebrity. I've known people who had heart conditions, diabetes and even cancer that were jailed for weeks on lesser charges. They just had constant monitoring and were given their medications.

You're trying to see if we are hypocrites or not, well, we're not. But not becuase of what you think (omg he is a capitilist but thinks money shouldn't buy everything!!@!#$!), Justice is soppuse to be blind.
So are you saying that everybody should have access to a high-priced lawyer or that lawyers should be limited in helping their clients so that everybody has the same low quality of legal representation? As far as I can tell, Paris Hilton got a legally available remedy.

So are you saying that everybody should have access to a high-priced lawyer or that lawyers should be limited in helping their clients so that everybody has the same low quality of legal representation? As far as I can tell, Paris Hilton got a legally available remedy.

No, I'm saying that the quality of the lawyer should play a much smaller role in the final decision, and that the judge uses their common sense instead of listening to a slick talking laywer talking about technicallities and the letter of the law( as opposedd to the spirit of the law).

No, I'm saying that the quality of the lawyer should play a much smaller role in the final decision, and that the judge uses their common sense instead of listening to a slick talking laywer talking about technicallities and the letter of the law( as opposedd to the spirit of the law).
So you are wanting to give Judges much more power to ignore legally valid arguments made by your lawyer or do you only want such a standard applied to Paris' lawyer?

So you are wanting to give Judges much more power to ignore legally valid arguments made by your lawyer or do you only want such a standard applied to Paris' lawyer?

Yup.

Common sense>>>"leagally valid arguments" (AKA technicallities)

Yup.

Common sense>>>"leagally valid arguments" (AKA technicallities)
Except Paris didn't get a technicality. She got a remedy that is clearly spelled out in the statutes. She is also subject to a longer house arrest than she would have received jail time, so on days 23-40, she is having less freedom than should otherwise have had.

Why do judges need lawyers or prosecuters to check what to do with a certain case ? Shouldn't they have the knowledge themselves to decide what's right or wrong according the law ?

She didn't get a free pass. She likely paid a lawyer quite a bit to get her the best result that the legal system could provide, just as she likely pays a steep price for other luxuries.
Justice should NOT be a commodity which can be bought and sold. This is one reason I am not in favor of a legal system which allows for high priced lawyers. IMO lawyers should be public servants. Talent and merit should be rewarded, but the system that exists now does not make for equal justice for all. This Hilton is just the latest high profile example of a broken judicial system for which money has perverted justice.

I'm with JollyRoger. Why are you guys so upset, why is it your business?

You're all just jealous of her wealth and celebrity.

Top Bottom