1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Paris : Olympic torch extinguished by Human Rights activists, events are cancelled

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Marla_Singer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Hail to the Great President Mao who massacred millions of us !

Oh gosh, once cash is coming, people are really ready to accept anything...

2. Agent Valentine

Agent Valentine Warlord

You choose to insult and degrade instead of discussion, typical of arrogant Westerners who think they know what is best for everyone. Remind me to ignore your worthless posts more often.

3. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

:lol: Is that for real ?? :crazyeye:

Beware, here comes the People's Army !!! :goodjob:

Hu Jintao is a pig.

4. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

These protests do nothing, and only make China feel more scorned and rejected by the international community. Has anything like this happened to the Olympic Torch before?

5. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Excellent work Frankreich!

I hope SanFran can do the same.

California show your teeth.

6. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

They're only terrorists if they disagree with your views. ;)

7. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Thank God the French have the lack of respect of authority the British don't.

The CRS were bloody brutal though./

8. scy12

scy12 Deity

Free Tibet from progress and tyranny let Tibet go back to Stone age and tyranny it's better than progress and tyranny because their culture must survive.

In a few words : Industrial revolution > most political problems.

9. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I agree with this point, but...

That's just rich :lol: Good leadership of the CCP? Their track record is overwhelmingly bad.

More delusions.

As others have said, get of yours. So what if there are laws against corruption? Who enforces these laws? Do the guys behind the might of these laws actually get convicted, even though they are obviously guilty themselves? Don't mistake political purges and scapegoating for real cleaning up. The ultimate corruption is the utilization of the state's entire economy to futher your political and career interests. Neo-patrimonialism and corruption exist side-by-side.

Now, I'm willing to accept that the Chinese are allowed to live in any political conditions they want, and I don't believe in the idea of imposing democracy. However, the idea of a saintly CCP is just hilarious.

10. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

corruption in china isn't being stamped out, unless by using the word "being" you mean it's been in the process for at least 5000 years. the corrupt local bureaucrat is the epitome of chinese government.

11. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Someone has accidently spilled their politics into my sports. Argh.

12. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

I wish the Olympic Torch would extinguish human rights activists.

13. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Wow, MrT144. That was one of the rudest things I think I have seen in a while on this forum.

Anyways, "GO FRANCE!". I think its cool that the French are standing up for human rights. I want to see the reaction they get in the US, though. The Bush Admin has already 'condemned' the actions IIRC, and the Torch is going through San Francisco, where Mayor Gavin Newsom (probably) won't give a damn if protesters bring extinguishers. I would love to see what happens in San Fran's Chinatown during the parades. I've been there, and some people are totally fresh of the boat, while others....

Again, good for the French, and let's see more action against China!

14. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

I doubt anything short of a military invasion would get China to free Tibet and grant it its independence. People who believe that by protesting the Olympics they can get China to grant Tibet her independence are bluntly said, idiotic. Because frankly, the opinion of the average xenophobic and nationalistic Chinese (instilled by their media of course but..) is much more important to the PRC than the opinion of crazy "Free Tibet" protestors around the world.

Protest all you want, launch as many riots at Chinese embassies as you want, all you will do is make the PRC even MORE hardliner than it already is.

What's democracy, freedom, and liberty to a people who's been through so much bad times? Economic prosperity, a decent roof over their heads, and three square meals a day are much more important to them than any basic human "rights" of democracy.

Let's hope the Olympic Torch's transit in San Francisco is more successful.

15. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Why don't you actually read about how great Tibet was before the CCP came in?

16. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

Its no where near as good as when you got peanut butter on my chocolate.:(

I'm more worried about the health of the athletes who do compete in smog town.

17. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

Looks like you french grew a pair ;) JK. Congrats I enjoy seeing the chinese government be humiliated

18. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I'll 2nd that one. I go back to Beijing regularly, and I'm wondering where they will find 2.5 miles of clean water to swim the triatholon in.

19. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

The amount of reactionary people in this thread is just amazing. Just as if standing straight on our democratic principles is a bad thing to some people.

The people who demonstrated did not do so because they thought it was enough to "free tibet". They did so because they've been shocked by the way Western democracies are leaking the butts of the Chinese unique party. You should have seen how the thing actually happened, it was just disgusting.

We were in France, and there were thousands of cops everywhere, asking for people waving Tibetan flags to put them down. Near the torch, there was a whole bus filled with Chinese "special cops". This was just amazing. And in the end of the day, it's not even French authorities but Chinese authorities which unilaterally decided to cancel everything. It was just as if the PRC brought the Police state with the torch once arriving in France.

I'm glad that people demonstrated against such a farce. I'm sorry but Western democracies are not a doormat on which the Chinese Communist Party can clean its shoes. Maybe we can't do anything to bring more freedom in China, but it's not a reason to restrain our freedoms when China is on the parade.

20. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

I find it rude that you use the expression "fresh off the boat" :p

Cmon though, you don't understand a Russian Reversal?