Paris suburbs - Is it starting again?

Ja, mein Führer! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!

:rolleyes:

Third time's the charm...

I am staggered by the unbelievable lack of understanding you're all displaying in this thread.

If one man came to a police car, burned it and then attacked a policeman, he'd be arrested, tried and sentenced for assaulting a police officer. Nobody would wonder why, complain about the police brutality or demand a better treatment for this man.

But when there is a bunch of such men, especially when they're not Whites, all pseudo-humanists demand appeasement of these people. They're burning cars and attacking the police, so they must be socially excluded, discriminated against and oppressed by the evil racist government. They must be allowed to burn cars as they like, because stopping them would be too insensitive :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ! Wake up, people!

But when there is a bunch of such men, especially when they're not Whites, all pseudo-humanists demand appeasement of these people. They're burning cars and attacking the police, so they must be socially excluded, discriminated against and oppressed by the evil racist government. They must be allowed to burn cars as they like, because stopping them would be too insensitive :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ! Wake up, people!
So, is this a Strawman or a Haystack nowadays?

I get confused.

I warned you that the "Paris tecknotronic dance craze" would lead to bad things. :p

I, as well, would rise up against these so-called tecknotronics! Power to the people! Vive la pants-that-fit!

What? You say this isn't about the tecknotronic dancers? Well, we can always hope for collateral damage.

Oh please. Why don't you park your car in one of these neighbourhood? I'd wait until someone burns it and then accuse you of being racist, if you got mad...

Well, heres the thing Winner. I would attach no significance to the arsonists race (If I even knew it, which its pretty unlikely I would). I've been mugged by white people in the past, I dont go on about 'white muggers' I complained about muggers. the guys race didnt come into it

Well, heres the thing Winner. I would attach no significance to the arsonists race (If I even knew it, which its pretty unlikely I would). I've been mugged by white people in the past, I dont go on about 'white muggers' I complained about muggers. the guys race didnt come into it

What I am saying is that whenever people belonging to a minority cause trouble, they're treated differently than if they belonged to the majority population. So you see, I am actually anti-racist: I want equal treatment for everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity.

What I am saying is that whenever people belonging to a minority cause trouble, they're treated differently than if they belonged to the majority population.

Except this isnt true. People say they should go back to countries theyve never been to. People racially abuse them. People imply they are causing trouble because of their race. People call them scumbags, which is justified if they are. If they commit criminal acts, they should face the legal consequences. their race shiouldnt come into it.

Except this isnt true. People say they should go back to countries theyve never been to. People racially abuse them. People imply they are causing trouble because of their race. People call them scumbags, which is justified if they are. If they commit criminal acts, they should face the legal consequences. their race shiouldnt come into it.

That's totally exagerrated. They should stop blaming the society and helm themselves.

So, is this a Strawman or a Haystack nowadays?

I get confused.

Its an astute realization of the truth. To which he was labeled a racist for making it.

Its an astute realization of the truth. To which he was labeled a racist for making it.
Yeah that's right. Now I remember that charity event: Cars for rioters to burn, where people were asked to donate their cars? I think Bono organised it. "Car Aid". Of course 86% of the cars went to the presses to pay for the overhead and the beer which the performing bands dranks. All that was left were 3 2CV Citroëns. No wonder those people are pissed off.

All that was left were 3 2CV Citroëns. No wonder those people are pissed off.
2CV cars are now pieces of collection. They're worth a lot of money actually. It's been at least two decades they disappeared from the Parisian landscape... those who still have one usually tune it in order to make something great out of it. It's funny though that any US movie happening in France still pictures 2CV cars to contextualize "France". Sometimes we really have the feeling Hollywood industry believes Europe is still stuck in the 60's! :lol:

Of course I'm right about the mayor of Paris! His politics is pure despise for the suburbs, but as such despise towards the suburbs is shared by all Parisians, this will never hit the media.

Check his transports policy, it consists in limiting the road facilities in order to increase commuting times!! Is it good for the environment? No because cars spend more time in the traffic jam with the engine on. Is it good for the quality of life? No because these more numerous traffic jams make cars even more dominant all over the city, especially when the Seine docks freeway is closed and all the traffic is exported at street level. The only reason why such a policy is popular is because it annoys the suburbans, who represent the majority of car traffic in the city proper!

You see, the problem of the division of the Paris urban area in various small municipalities is that 90% of people don't sleep in the same municipality than the one where they work. This generates what Jean Viard has called "the sleep democracy" (démocratie du sommeil): as electors vote where they sleep, the city hall candidates focus their campaign on residential comfort instead of business activities and economical development. As people working in the city proper of Paris have absolutely no power on its mayor as long as they don't live in it, local authorities tend to totally discard their opinion and don't care at all about their interests.

Paris is the largest urban area in the EU, with no less than 10 million inhabitants, and despite this, the city proper of Paris is three times smaller in land area than Riga in Latvia! The obvious truth is that the city proper of Paris is actually nothing else than the city center of Paris, exactly the same way as Manhattan is only the city center of NYC.

The situation is so silly that when there are huge infrastructures and urbanism redevelopment to make in the Paris suburbs, people don't wonder "what are doing local authorities ?", they wonder "what is doing the government?".

Hence, instead of focusing in urbanism, the mayor of Paris create the "sleepless night" celebration, "Paris beach", and "Velib", the opportunity to rent a bike for leisure. It's all about fun, entertainment and leisure dedicated to residents.

Come on, LAnkou, don't you realize how obscene is the contrast between the political debates in Paris and the situation in the suburbs?

I told you i disagree with you...

Velib is much more than just for leisure, it's becoming a new way for transport (people who don't want to take the metro or the car in Paris).
You may find that Delanoe's action was only the "Nuit Blanche" and "Paris Plage", but there had been a certain number of things that were quite significant (to me): the tram, the bus only ways, all the childhood program, the environment program...

I agree that Banlieues have greater problem than Paris, but as someone said above (and I think it was you), the problem is that Paris is administratively separated from the other city around it.
I think you know there are a lot of people against it (in general, mayor of big cities just around Paris: La défense, Saint Denis, Le Kremlin-Bicetre,...). Actually, Delanoe favors a greater Paris because the transport and the urbanism in the region would be far more effective.

About the transport policy of Delanoe, it clearly favors public transport, not commuting time. As long as the car will be the easiest and quickest way to get to work, people will take their car. BUT, if you manage to offer public transport of good quality, people will stop taking their cars (which is the main goal).

I think we disagree about the things to do about transport...(I favor the developpement of public transport and i approve the policy of having fewer cars on the road).

I favor the developpement of public transport and i approve the policy of having fewer cars on the road - Lankou

Just out of curiosity, how far do you typically travel in a day? How far to work? And how do you get there?

How long does that take out of curiousity? Is that 40KM both ways? Or 40Km one way, then 40KM the other?

How long does that take out of curiousity? Is that 40KM both ways? Or 40Km one way, then 40KM the other?

I just checked the map and it's 25 km one way and 25 the other and it takes me about an hour, but that's becuase i live deeply in the country side and (unfortunaly) at the worst spot for a certain line becuase the bus does an detour just through the town before heading towards the train station.

but still, at least i can get my free newspaper and read and or work on my laptop.

It takes you an hour to go 25KM? Or an hour total both ways? Either way, that strikes me as an incredible waste of time. But I guess if you're reading the news and using your computer, that's fine and whatnot. To each their own, I'm just curious.

Me myself, I'd rather drive to work. Outside places like NYC, Houston, LA, DC, Atlanta (true traffic nightmares), the US transit system for personal vehicles is great. When I was commuting from work and school to home at 50 miles a day, I made that tripe in about 45 minutes. And could then read the news and use my computer in the comfort of my own home. Where I'm at, 25KM is about a fifteen - twenty minute drive if traffic is bad.

I'm just generally curious about public transportation over yonder.

How busy is it when you use it? Is it packed? What is your opinion on the people surrounding you? Such things always seem to carry a strange awkwardness hear in the states.

Top Bottom