1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Parler's Fantastic Free Speech Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Parler to be down 'for a while' without AWS, executives say: 'We are clearly being singled out' | Fox Business

I thought maybe since this outbreak story stemming from the Capitol riot will have and already is having a different outcome and lasting outcome that it deserved its own thread.

This is not a new story, the banned site whose name we cannot mention long since lost hosting around most of the world, so has stormfront and others. The difference here of course is conservatives have chased the rabbit down the hole in mass and lost their ever loving minds. . .So! Anyways.

I'm for breaking up Amazon, Google, and Apple fwiw. Although this kind of action has little to do with that desire.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I would appreciate it if the mods merged what was said about Parler in the capital thread into this one.

Estebonrober likes this.
  3. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I'm upset that the thread title doesn't use the word "parlor".

Estebonrober likes this.
  4. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

sendos, Morty, Angst and 4 others like this.
  5. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

I'm a little lost, is there some website that is verboten to mention on OT?

I'm also not quite sure what the focus of discussion is for this thread. I'll try to wing it here and say that I'm not concerned about monopolistic companies restricting freedom of speech for two reasons.

The first is defining "freedom of speech" since it's usually intertwined with the Bill of Rights. Reading the text, it says that Congress can't make laws restricting freedom of speech. As far as a strict legal reading goes, Amazon or Google can't restrict your freedom of speech because they're not the government.

Second, the internet is probably the least monopolistic form of media that we have. There's no need to get an FCC license like a radio or TV station, no expensive printing presses or distribution networks needed, etc. Pretty much anyone with a computer can set up their own web server. All it takes is a little bit of competence.

6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I've linked this same comic repeatedly on FB to my conservative friends and family. It has the effect you would imagine. . .silence.

Cutlass likes this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I agree with you on this Ama and I'll PM you the site whose name will get censored if you type it on CFC if you like.

amadeus likes this.
  8. Arwon

Arwon

they mean the chans

GenMarshall, plarq and amadeus like this.
  9. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Suggesting that these bans will change the psyche of the world is just parlor psychology.

10. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Yea its a deeper problem then the face of it, I've been trying to think of a way to put this pandora back in her box but I can come up with nothing. How do you save a huge population of people from their own devices?

11. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Sorry, it's not a common phrase.
    I think that "parlor psychology" in Boomer is "Wu" in Millenial. :)
    ppsy.png

12. amadeus

I’m assuming @Arwon is correct here and the proscribed site is primarily that channel one beyond the third. If so, a PM is not necessary. :)

Wouldn’t even have thought of it to be honest. My first guess had been ‘poly. :lol:

Hygro, GenMarshall, IglooDude and 2 others like this.
  13. red_elk

red_elk Deity

The definition of free speech they use seems wrong though.

Free Speech - "The power or right to express one's opinions without censorship, restraint, or legal penalty."

Your right can be restricted not only by the government and not only by arresting.

GenMarshall likes this.
  14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

So yea they are clarifying the misconception you are holding. You do not have free speech and frankly what you are talking about is not only impossible but absurd if taken to logical extremes. I have some strong feelings about employers limiting your speech for example, but frankly total free speech would be stupid too.

15. amadeus

I would break it up into a second thought, and this is something I got from Walter Block many years ago: do you have the right to control what someone else thinks? Block was talking about libertarianism and the question of libel (not a topic for discussion here) but the question is a good one in discussing how far we are to assume freedom of speech goes.

If freedom of speech then means freedom from consequences, then isn’t it assumed that we have also asserted in some sense a right to control what other people think?

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Not that I want this to happen, but if someone wants to set up a web server with illegal repercussions and don't want to face the wrath of US law, someone in a different country could make the webserver (where that is legal or at least overlooked) on behalf of us citizens. It could easily be circumnavigated.

17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I know I don't have complete and unrestricted free speech, neither IMO I should.
    But they don't clarify any misconceptions, they create ones. Free speech right can be violated not only by arrest, but also by censorship.

18. amadeus

I meant more the logistical hurdles of setting up such a system are far fewer than other types of media.

What you mention has been done, but accessing it within the U.S. would then fall under U.S. jurisdiction, so trying to circumvent the law in such a way is only partially effective.

Note that I’m not endorsing the idea, I’m just discussing its technical aspects.

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The person setting up the server wouldn't face legal repercussions, and Americans could use a VPN.

20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

It means they can shout it in your face and you are not permitted to bite their nose.