Parlor tricks, unusual abilities, or unimportant skills

Truthy

Chatbot
What weird, interesting, or unimportant abilities do you have? Can be stuff like musical abilities, magic tricks, solving Rubik's cubes, individually moving one eyeball while the other remains still, unimportant knowledge, or really anything.

Me:
I can light a match with one hand. I can name every country and capital, find them on a map, rattle off facts about them, etc. I can identify a lot of cities from a picture of the skyline. I can sorta speak French (a parlor trick if you live in the US). I'll remember everything about someone I met 5 years ago, while they'll have no idea who I am. I do a lot of accents and impressions (but not always well). I'm good at estimating things (eg how many gas stations are there in the US?). I can touch my nose with my tongue.

Last edited:
When people see me, they run away screaming. :mischief:

Uhhh, I'm sometimes able to recognize the musician/band on a song I've never heard before. Sometimes even before the vocals kick in. And sometimes even when I've only heard one or two other songs by them. I don't know if that counts.

When people see me, they run away screaming. :mischief:

Uhhh, I'm sometimes able to recognize the musician/band on a song I've never heard before. Sometimes even before the vocals kick in. And sometimes even when I've only heard one or two other songs by them. I don't know if that counts.
Both of those totally count :lol:

I can't handle A1 format in Excel, I can only understand R1C1 format. All my workbooks are saved in R1C1, and when someone opens one they're immediately and totally confused, but the letters just don't make sense to me either. I guess that's weird?

I can herd cats ... I use more of the "Babe" approach, in that I can get them to follow me. Stray cats and other outdoor cats will follow me. Wild birds will eat out of my hand.

I can cook reasonably well, and I have exceptional logical thinking.

I have other talents, but I'd get banned if I discussed them here :ack:

I can sense when something bad is going to happen aka. "I've got a bad feeling about this". When I pass street lamps at night they sometimes suddnly switch off/burn out. When I tell myself that I want to wake up at specific hour I wake up at that hour without an alarm.I can tell some miliseconds before when the lights are gonna change.

I can sometimes smell the weather before it shows up. Thunderstorms, in particular, have a very specific smell that's distinct from petrichor.

:smug:

I can sense when something bad is going to happen aka. "I've got a bad feeling about this". When I pass street lamps at night they sometimes suddnly switch off/burn out. When I tell myself that I want to wake up at specific hour I wake up at that hour without an alarm.I can tell some miliseconds before when the lights are gonna change.
I had a schizophrenic roommate for a semester who had a belief about streetlights going out as he walked past. When he was young, his godfather died in a car crash. He said streetlights going out were a sign from his godfather's ghost that he was still watching over him. I thought it was a cool theory. And relatively normal considering he also thought I and the other two guys living with him were undercover cops.

When the moment comes and rhymes are needed
The words and stories in my brain are seeded;
I open up an empty page,
And there is no struggle or war to wage;
The words just flow in steady streams
Effortlessly to me it seems.

I had a schizophrenic roommate for a semester who had a belief about streetlights going out as he walked past. When he was young, his godfather died in a car crash. He said streetlights going out were a sign from his godfather's ghost that he was still watching over him. I thought it was a cool theory. And relatively normal considering he also thought I and the other two guys living with him were undercover cops.

What can I say officer, it sometimes happens :D I am a bit crazy too I guess :)

I'm really good at knowing the time of day, even without clocks around. It's not anything like using the stars, or the Sun, or whatever. I'm just uncannily accurate with my guesses, every time.

I used to be able to tell myself I have 360 minutes to sleep, and I'd wake up . . . a few minutes shy of my alarm? Every time? Weirdly, that trick only ever worked with minutes.

Oh I'm really good at estimating my total bill when I go grocery shopping. I'll have a budget in my head of say $100, and while I'm not doing any active math or anything, somehow I'll get my total to like $99.87 or something.

Far from any idea about what unusual is, so just putting down what I could find here....
Have "Sun allergy". Going outside when it is sunny but with bright clouds - I know that I will have many sneezes (usually 3 times in row). But I love that I can "load" sneeze from light. Feels almost like photon cannon :D
Can't smell entire life (can say its ability as it is good for some specific jobs that can do without problems (as long as it is healthy, ofcourse))
Can blurr vision at will (like every second making this text blurry and back sharp as usual); move eyebrows separately (I do it when listening songs for example).
When I was 8 (year 1997), I bought my 1st (of many) Geography Atlas instead of toy; have seen (or did try to see through clouds) every Sun/Moon eclipse since same age. And every F1 season as well since that strange year. All three things (like three whales) never changed through time.

I can solve a Rubik's cube and can roll a, uh, herbal cigarette with machine-like precision.
The first one, which I could usually do in less than a minute got me a LOT of free drinks back in the day. The second one just got me high. Looking forward to it being legal in not many weeks. :)

Top Bottom