1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

- Part 1 - Fall of the Tsars (New Thread)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Brucha, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

With the installation of my new game and the completion of AOI v.4, it is time to re-start my trio of stories, as detailed below in play order:

Октябрьская революция - Part 1 : Fall of the Tsars

Октябрьская революция - Part 2 : The Russian Civil War/The Patriotic War

Октябрьская революция - Part 3 : The Cold War

I advise all to check out the newest version of AOi by El-justo, you will be simply blown away by it!

Trilogy Rules For the Story
    The most improtant thing for readers to understand is the relationship of the three stories of this trilogy of games. Basically, the three games are linked together as far as success and defeat. By this I mean that, after this scenario is completed, the second one will be modded to reflect my situation at the end of the game as far as territories, and then the same to the third and final game. For instance, if I end this game in possession of the Japanese islands, I will include them in my next start position. However, if this removes a civ from the start of a game then I will lessen the territories as to allow the civ (like Japan) to be included in the scenario. Or if I should suffer badly at the end of this game (like being invaded by Germany and losing some of my western territories) that too will be included in the next scenario.

This scenario will not include the Russian Revolution - that great event will be covered at the very start of Part 2. What I have done is included a new Government called the Russian Provisional Government. Part 2 will begin with Russia split into two camps - the Bolsheviks and the White Russians. In this story, I will have to switch over to the Provisional Goverment, which is quite weak and pathetic. The Provisonal Government have terrible corruption and Unhappiness to reflect the political situation following the end of Tsarist rule and before the coming to power by the Bolsheviks.

Russian Player Commanders
    Once again, my great Russian story will be aided by several real players acting as Russian Commanders. Ech player will represent naval squadron or army commanders, but may be promoted (by me) to a higher command if I see fit. I will basically email the saved games to each so that they can play thier portion of the turn.

Under an umbrella of basic orders given by me as the Tsar, each commander can use their alloted forces as they saw fit, but cannot use any other units (such as garrisons in cities, other armies, etc), nor can they handle city production/management or tech research (unless I promote one of them to a governorship position). Under no circumstance can commanders declare wars and can only attack declared enemy units. So, here's the line-up of player-commanders:

Rear Admiral Prince Ukhtomsky - command of a naval squadron (played by a noncivfantics member)
    General Nikolay Linevich - command of an army (9 units) (played by nuclearplantlif)
    General Alexander Koslov - command of an army(9 units) (played by Arexander)

Changes to AOI:
    Spoiler :
    This time around, I have changed very little in the game. The major change is the reduction of shield cost, attack and defense of all cavalry units (reduced by 50% in each case). This will force the AI to produce more infantry than cavalry and will create a more historical, meat-grinder type of combat that occured during the time period. Cavalry will be reduced to a scouting role or to finish off weakened units in combat. Now, the main offensive combat unit in the game will be infantry, with cavalry reduced to a secondary role.

Unlike before, I am not increasing the effectiveness of Russian troops and the map remains the same as the normal AOi game, except for adding immpassible mountains in Siberia to prevent unrealistic sea-borne landings by the AI.

As a side note, to prevent any sort of mishaps in this game, I am backing up all my files on an external hard drive!

I am starting the game this evening and should have some posts in a few days, but don't expect too much early on, as it will be mostly dry and boring stuff initially.

Chapter Links

2. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Cant' wait :D

i loved your old story.
    I'm sure this will be as good [if not better because its V4 ;)]

3. Icaria909

Icaria909 Emperor

You have no idea how excited I am that you are starting this story over, even though the last story ended in technical failures. Can't wait to hear more.

4. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

I am glad you are looking forward to it! My new player commanders include Arexander and a noobie to the forum, nuclearplatlif - that makes three players for commanders. I have played, tonight, up until week 1, 1897. No war to report - just boring economic reforms and ctiy management. Say hi to nuclearplantlif when you get a chance - he is a very dear and old friend of mine.

I have thought long about the overall strategy - if I can, I want to invade Korea first and then go after western Europe to avoid lengthy overseas engagements, since this is a trio of game played together.

I will post a report by tomorrow and if everything looks good the invasion of Korea will be next.

5. Arexander

Arexander The obvious lurker

I can't possibly believe this! I'm a commander of my oldest (imagination)enemy! :rotfl:

Really great! I can't wait to start commanding my whopping 10 units. :lol:

6. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

just a little fyi: on average, the AI builds about 20:1 infantry to cav. so your reduction in a/d values for the cav have essentially made them worthless. might as well remove them from the game entirely. will follow the story though...

7. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

I think its cool how you are having real commanders and naval admirals and such :D

Also how would someone become a commander because i think it would be cool.

8. Arexander

Just PM Brucha. That's what I did. And I think that posting here helps too. :D

9. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Ahh ok I will :)

10. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

First off, in AoI v.4, a lot of things in the game have changed. Except for the reduction of cavalry and adding a new government, the game as is the original. Of course, Russia begins with a terrible economy and no military to speak of - but then again neither does anyone else.

Here is a pic of the Russian Empire as of Week 1, 1895:

Spoiler :

I am going to make it habit of incorporating this kind of map more often in this story to aid in understanding the story.

Week 1, 1895
    War is on the not too distant horizon for Russia, so the first order of business is the restructuring of the empire to a more capitalistic economy (god, it hurts just saying that!). I switch all production in all cities to improvements that affect the Russian economy.

The meager Russian military (amounting to all of four cavalry and eight infantry divisions) begin to swift towards Manchuria. In addition, the Russian fleets at Vladivostok and Port Arthur are combined into a single Far East Fleet based out of Vladivostok.

The greatest detriment to the Russian military is the lack of railroads in the far east. The rails extend only as far as the city of Novonikolayevsk - to be able to conduct any military operations in the east, it is essential to I complete the Transiberian Railroad all the way into Manchuria and Cisamur.

Research-wise, here is the first tech tree for the 1895-1904 era:

Spoiler :

Techs that are crossed off are ones that have been reseacrhed, along with completion dates.

I will begin researching naval techs, specifically Protected Cruiser and Pre-Dreadnoughts, to start with. As my plans for the first Russian military action will be to invade and, hopefully, conquer, Korea, I will have to deal with the Japanese fleets. Japanese naval ships are better than those that the Russian begin with, and I have no capital battleships yet - the best I have are 1st Generation Cruisers, certainly no match for the Japanese navy.

I end my first turn by securing trade deals with France and Germany - I have two extra sources of Oasis:

Spoiler :

France is willing to offer 21 gpt and Germany grants me 17 gpt. Very nice.

Week 5, 1895
    Britain wastes no time flexing it might against Russian, making an early demand for money:

Spoiler :

I really don't want war right now - and the amount is pitifully small - so I agree to the demand. However, I will not forget this offense….superior to Russian my a**!

Week 17, 1895
    I complete research on Protected Cruiser:

Spoiler :

The Bogatyr Class PC is a much better improvement on the Russian Vladimir Monomakh Class CA, which has 6 (8).6.5.1. Stats.

Week 21, 1895
    America declares it hopes for world peace by attempting a bit of extortion:

Spoiler :

Again, as in the British demand earlier, I will pay this for now. Maybe its time for Russian to-retake Alaska…

I also complete my first wonder of the game in St. Petersburg, the Gold Standard:

Spoiler :

Week 33, 1895
    I complete research on Pre-Dreadnoughts I:

Spoiler :

Link to 1895-1904 Tech Tree

The Petropavlosk Class BB is not as good as the Japanese first generation battleships, but they are all I have for now.

Week 45, 1895
    I build my first Petropavlosk Class BB at Vladivostok, and she is christened The Poltava. To match the Japanese fleet, I need to build at least four more to reinforce my main far east fleet, plus build a seperate dreadnought squardon for the coming war in Korea.

Week 49, 1895
    As my first year comes to a close, I complete research on another tech, Colonial Admin I:

Spoiler :

This tech allows the building a new improvement, Coaling Stations. I also complete production on the Railroad Corporation in Moscow:

Spoiler :

Week 13, 1896
    With such a big and sprawling territory such as Imperial Russia, I always use the program, Civ Assist II to help perform city micro-management. Yet, even with CivAssit, I let something slip through:

Oh well, it was probably some peasants rising up against our loving Tsar, the ungrateful ingrates…

I also complete research on Military Tradition:

Spoiler :

This will allow me to build a Military Academy, but I have another Wonder in the pipeline at the moment.

Week 29, 1896
    I complete research on Espionage:

Spoiler :

I also renew my trade agreements with Germany and France, extending my trade of Oasis lux’s for another 20 turns for a grand total of 38 gpt - I tried to renegotiate the deals, but to no avail. Yet, 38 gpt is not too bad this early on in the game. It just might prevent Germany from declaring war on me as long as the trade is in place.

Week 37, 1896
    I complete production on my second Wonder of the game, X-ray Machine:

Spoiler :

Though this Wonder gives you two free techs, I am given Agricultural Refining (which I was in the middle of researching and had only 2 turns left and Armored Cruisers I:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

This is the first Armored Cruiser that i can build in the game - not great but they will do for now.

Week 1, 1897
    I complete research on Destroyers I:

Spoiler :

The Boiki Class TB will replace my aging Puilki Class TB that I could build from the start.

Well, I stopped there. Not too bad, really, for the first two years of the game. My build-up is slow but gaining speed. Here is the score standings as of the start of 1897:

Spoiler :

I figure that I am roughly half-way through the military builds required for the Russo-Japanese War. I hope to complete them by the end of 1897 or sooner.

11. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Are you still planning on invading Korea? I'm guessing you are because, your moving troops their [and you said earlier].

Anyway Nice start :)

12. Arexander

Very nice start! What is the difficulty setting for this? I want to know how hard of an Artificial Idiot I am pwning. :) :mischief:

13. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

That is the plan at least, unless war breaks out elsewhere first. Capturing Korea will give me more raw materials for vp's, as well as expanding my influence further into the region.

14. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Yeah I was kinda guessing that
    Also expanding your influence into that area is good, because Japan is pretty good.. of course.. like in your last story.. they kinda got owned. :lol:.
    But not with out great loss, Also the trench infantry are stronger..14 defense now, also what do you plan to do after you take Korea, attack the Japanese Islands again? Or are thinking against doing that from how costly it was in your last story?

15. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

I am not sure this time around. Alot depends on the gobal situation after the war over Korea - I am leaning towards not invading the Japanese mainland this time, but capture the out-lying Japanese cities on the islands around Japan itself.

16. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Like Taipei and Kuril Islands? and Ryukyu Islands [Or however you spell it?]

17. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

Yep, that is where I am leaning to right now, but its early to make military plans after Korea though.

18. Arexander

Let's go island hopping! Just some 40-45 years before it was actually used. :lol:

19. Brucha

Brucha Chieftain

I am going to play some more this evening and hope to get through the rest of the building and improvement period going on right now. If all goes well, I will be ready to fight the Russo-Japanese War after the week-end. That means I need my commanders ready! Long live the Tsar!

20. Arexander

Da, comrade General! I just wish it would be on weekend instead of after weekend. I have exams till Thursday. :(

I hate exam weeks! :mad: