Partisan resistance

OTAKUjbski

TK421
I played my first BtS Conquest game this weekend and encountered my first real tasted of "partisan resistance".

I don't recall having ever seen this in Warlords, so I'm guessing it was a new 'feature' added in BtS.

At any rate, I think it's effing stupid.

How do I turn it off?

I'm sure there's an option I've just overlooked, but if it takes an XML edit or something, I'm down with that, too.​

How do I change it?

I like the concept, but the implementation is stupid. When razing a poorly-placed pop 2 Tundra city defended by one Archer results in 4 new Axemen as "partisan resistance" ... yeah ... stupid.

I couldn't find anything in the XML, so who knows ...​

Its actually a random event, and only happens when you raze a city I believe.

BAM!

Lines 20488 through 20649 of CIV4EventsInfos.xml: EVENT_PARTISANS_1 and EVENT_PARTISANS_2.

- and -

Lines 13420 through 13500 of CIV4EventsTriggerInfos.xml: EVENTTRIGGER_PARTISANS.

Thanx!!! :goodjob:

i once had that event happen on every single razed city from a civ.
strangely sometimes there were no troops, just the message.

I saw two events: one that immediately popped up troops around the razed city and another that said the partisan units were "fleeing to the capital".

Otherwise yeah ... it happened on every damn city. I had to keep every single city I captured for fear of doubling my enemy's army every time I razed one of his cities.

Needless to say, it made that game far more difficult than it should've been had I just been able to raze every city and forget about it.

But check this out:

Line 13436: <Civic>CIVIC_EMANCIPATION</Civic>

Looking at CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml, it appears this should only happen if one of us is running Emancipation ... I think.

My war ended in the 1200s before anybody even had Paper, though. :confused:

Something making war harder?
Sounds about fair.

Is the "BAM" kinda like when Emeril adds garlic to his dishes?

Exactly like that. :lol:

I don't mind partisan resistance. You burn down a city, and a bunch of angry farmers take to the hills. Makes sense to me.

These weren't just "angry farmers". These were state-of-the-art Combat I Axemen!

Something making war harder?
Sounds about fair.

Fair is one or two units every once-in-a-while.

But this was happening on every single city, and it was always 3 or 4 Axemen.

I razed a poorly-placed pop 2 city in the Tundra that was defended by one Archer ... and out popped 4 Axemen with Combat I (vs. Aggressive Shaka)!!!

At the time, I don't think his entire army even had 4 Axemen yet (he had mostly Impi and a few Swordsmen), so that one tiny city doubled his army's Axemen count.

Again ... this was happening on every city.

That's just stupid, imo.

What makes it even worse now looking back is that the XML states the Civ owning the razed city must be running Emancipation for the event to even occur (if I'm reading the code correclty).

BAM!

Lines 20488 through 20649 of CIV4EventsInfos.xml: EVENT_PARTISANS_1 and EVENT_PARTISANS_2.

- and -

Lines 13420 through 13500 of CIV4EventsTriggerInfos.xml: EVENTTRIGGER_PARTISANS.

Thanx!!! :goodjob:
Is the "BAM" kinda like when Emeril adds garlic to his dishes?

I don't mind partisan resistance. You burn down a city, and a bunch of angry farmers take to the hills. Makes sense to me.

I had a city razed by barbs and it triggered this event for me. I got 4 free axes from a city (and subsequently used those axes to beat back the barbs). I think the event has a pretty high occurrence rate though so you definitely want to be a bit more careful when razing cities.

Fair is one or two units every once-in-a-while.

But this was happening on every single city, and it was always 3 or 4 Axemen.

I razed a poorly-placed pop 2 city in the Tundra that was defended by one Archer ... and out popped 4 Axemen with Combat I (vs. Aggressive Shaka)!!!

At the time, I don't think his entire army even had 4 Axemen yet (he had mostly Impi and a few Swordsmen), so that one tiny city doubled his army's Axemen count.

Again ... this was happening on every city.

That's just stupid, imo.
I see your point. I just don't see it as stupid. Razing a city is a big deal. Having to fight 4 [latest military unit] as a penalty seems appropriate. Now, razing a city is a tougher choice to make, rather than a simple "matter of course."

What makes it even worse now looking back is that the XML states the Civ owning the razed city must be running Emancipation for the event to even occur (if I'm reading the code correclty).
It could be that the core game DLL ignores this value (unimplemented feature, perhaps?)

The more I think about the event, the more I like it but the more I realise its slightly overpowered. How about you can only get 1 'free' unit for every 2 pop the city had before it was raised AND you can't get more than 1 unit for every 12 existing units in your army. That would stop a ridicilous number of units being spawned all the time, while keeping it strong enough to be a serious hinderous to an invading army. After all, there's no point it existing if it only creates pathetic units that will die the next turn.

Appearance of partisans is a less outrageous concept than is razing itself. I just don't see how a huge city gets burned to the ground in one turn.

Considering that one turn is at least 6 months if not several years I can see how it could be burned down in one turn.

Partisans in my opinion should not be latest military unit. It should be further down... after all since when do those fleeing from their village/town have brand new high powered weapons[so if China came and burned down my house I would get brand new Military grade weapons that not even many of the soldiers have yet? that is a pretty sweet deal].

^ You probably would... or rather the fact that your 'unit' is only equipped with Hunting Rifles is countered by the fact that they have 10* the numbers of a normal 'unit'

And the reason they were Combat 1 is obviously because of Shaka's Aggressiveness (admitedly the non following of the Civic requirement seems to be a bug)

It seems like in 35% of games it will be active all the time (so every razing creates Partisans)

Ideally I'd say 1 unit per 5 pop for all civics, and 1 Unit per 3 pop for Emancipation... but occuring in all games

The more I think about the event, the more I like it but the more I realise its slightly overpowered. How about you can only get 1 'free' unit for every 2 pop the city had before it was raised AND you can't get more than 1 unit for every 12 existing units in your army. That would stop a ridicilous number of units being spawned all the time, while keeping it strong enough to be a serious hinderous to an invading army. After all, there's no point it existing if it only creates pathetic units that will die the next turn.

That's pretty much how I feel: great concept with poor implementation.

Partisans in my opinion should not be latest military unit. It should be further down... after all since when do those fleeing from their village/town have brand new high powered weapons[so if China came and burned down my house I would get brand new Military grade weapons that not even many of the soldiers have yet? that is a pretty sweet deal].

:agree:

From another realism standpoint, according to the recent census, only 25% of the American population are males between the ages 15 and 50 -- which is a very liberal assessment of "combat readiness".

So arguably, no more than 25% of a city's population should pop out as battle-ready troops.

From a game standpoint, 1 population is only worth 30 :hammers:, so a pop 2 city should never spawn 4 Axemen (140 :hammers:, or 5 population).
  1. = 30 = 1 Archer
  2. = 60 = 2 Archers or 1 Axeman
  3. = 90 = 3 Archers or 2 Axemen
  4. = 120 = 4 Archers or 3 Axemen
  5. = 150 = 6 Archers or 4 Axemen
  6. etc.

It looks like that math is done in Python or whatever, so it looks like it's either on or off.

-- my 2 :commerce:

i once had that event happen on every single razed city from a civ.
strangely sometimes there were no troops, just the message.

I noticed that once also.. It said the partisan event, and nothing popped up. I looked around for them. Nothing. I checked the event log, and realized it said something like

--partisan uprising, blah blah blah, the troops have returned to their home capitol to organize.---

So evidently my enemy got free troops in his capitol.

From a game standpoint, 1 population is only worth 30 :hammers:, so a pop 2 city should never spawn 4 Axemen (140 :hammers:, or 5 population).
  1. = 30 = 1 Archer
  2. = 60 = 2 Archers or 1 Axeman
  3. = 90 = 3 Archers or 2 Axemen
  4. = 120 = 4 Archers or 3 Axemen
  5. = 150 = 6 Archers or 4 Axemen
  6. etc.
Not a bad implementation. It means that if you :whipped: a city's population down to nothing to try to defend it, then it gets razed, there's not much left to form partisans with.

I'm still not convinced that the current implementation is stupid, but I suppose it can use some improvement.

in civ2 it was better, more partisans.
think they were a special unit as well.

The stupidest thing about partisans is that they are made of the currently draftable unit of the civ. If your foe does not had reached Gunpowder, you can cut they metal supply and then the partisans will be fearsome warriors :lol:

Top Bottom