Partisans

Luderhow

Chieftain
You guys remember when partisans popped up after an enemy taken over a city after researching a tech (communism, I think)? I miss that ): That feature was in civ 2? But it adds to the flavor of the game and gives the player or even the AI a fighting chance when they are being steamrolled by an unstoppable army. The number of partisans that could pop up would be scaled by the number of population lost when an opposition unit occupies the city (partially explaining where all the "massacred" citizens have disappeared to). The partisans that pop up would be number of citizens lost during an attack divided by 3 or something so not that many would appear for balancing purposes. The partisans could have slightly lower attack than riflemen or something? And only appear after a certain tech in the modern age?

Controlling the partisan would be interesting if they were like land pirateers (no nationality flag and can pillage land or whatever like barbs) :D

What's your take on this idea? Maybe too powerful? Or unnecessary (unnecessarily fun)?

I liked the partisan feature in Civ 2 and think it could work in Civ 5, but rather than a tech this idea would be best implemented as a policy in Autocracy...it seems to fit there best.

As to the unit itself I think it should be 75% of the strength of the civs best infantry unit and just one for every ten citizens of original city population or so. Considering the importance of each unit having one for every three citizens seems like a bit much. Perhaps getting one at size 5 and two at 15 and so on might work better in terms of balance. Also, there should be some automatic disbandment function in place so a nation doesn't end up with a standing army of partisans during peacetime.

no way, let them be 'free' maintenance and you can't control them. Just like the militia's in the US!

They'll 'patrol' the border (generally meaning they'll get in another civ's way if you have OB's with them, and they'll take down barbs - but no money for you) and go do things that you don't like - causing diplo issues if you ever made peace.

maybe a later policy where you can 'reintegrate' them into a pop point for their city if peace is still there.

I liked the partisan feature in Civ 2 and think it could work in Civ 5, but rather than a tech this idea would be best implemented as a policy in Autocracy...it seems to fit there best.

As to the unit itself I think it should be 75% of the strength of the civs best infantry unit and just one for every ten citizens of original city population or so. Considering the importance of each unit having one for every three citizens seems like a bit much. Perhaps getting one at size 5 and two at 15 and so on might work better in terms of balance. Also, there should be some automatic disbandment function in place so a nation doesn't end up with a standing army of partisans during peacetime.

I like the social policy idea but I think it would suit the freedom tree better since I don't think people in an autocratic society would want to fight for their mean leader P:

Having though about this a little further, instead of strictly population based the number of units generated should be one for each military building after the armory (so military academy and arsenal...possibly have the military base produce one unit as well) once the Autocracy policy branch is activated. A later policy in the Autocracy branch would allow them to be returned to a city in peace-time for 2 pop or something.

EDIT: X-post. I think Autocracy fits because that is the warring branch...a police state idea seems appropriate for this.

As a side note, I happen to be reading Machiavelli's "The Prince" for school right now and he very much condemns militias and auxiliaries of any kind as they are not going to be nearly as loyal or brave as your own army, kind of as you say with the issue of people "wanting" to fight for their leader. The partisan units would have to have some significant downsides to them so you'll want to get rid of them ASAP after the war is over.

no way, let them be 'free' maintenance and you can't control them. Just like the militia's in the US!

They'll 'patrol' the border (generally meaning they'll get in another civ's way if you have OB's with them, and they'll take down barbs - but no money for you) and go do things that you don't like - causing diplo issues if you ever made peace.

maybe a later policy where you can 'reintegrate' them into a pop point for their city if peace is still there.

I like the idea about how you can't control them P: that would be pretty cool, having extra patriotic units running around defending the cities and doing their own thing like what rebels are suppose to do

And I thought about the "reintegrating" into a pop point idea but I would imagine people would abuse that by sending all the partisans into the capital :/

And I thought about the "reintegrating" into a pop point idea but I would imagine people would abuse that by sending all the partisans into the capital :/

A solution would be to only allow cities to take as many units in as they have military buildings beyond the armory (like I said in my other post about the generation).

I like the idea about how you can't control them P: that would be pretty cool, having extra patriotic units running around defending the cities and doing their own thing like what rebels are suppose to do

As a follow up, maybe post-peace treaty, if there are enough militia, they can go attack enemy cities or military units.

If they do that, then you'll have more diplo relation hits. If they 'take' a city that you used to control, it'll flip back to you - but might start another war. Otherwise, they shouldn't be able to take cities of the enemy - maybe let them destroy buildings/kill pop instead.

The way to get better relations is to go kill them yourself. If you take out a partisan when it is in another civs borders, then you can get a small diplo boost. (not much, since it's basically 'you' cleaning up 'your mess')

I have always wanted to be the Barbarian king (Partisan king whatever).. wouldn't it be fun to build an empire then crush it..? That is both dreamable AND programmable. Switch sides - mid game. It is doable on a chess board with a wooden table.

I have always wanted to be the Barbarian king (Partisan king whatever).. wouldn't it be fun to build an empire then crush it..? That is both dreamable AND programmable. Switch sides - mid game. It is doable on a chess board with a wooden table.

Hey empire!:king: I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it!

But if we're just coming up with cool ideas about this, I would say you have different kinds of partisans, one in the freedom branch and a different kind in the Autocratic branch, especially since they are exclusive of each other. Like the freedom branch ones are less powerful but are more friendly as to what you need them to do, even though you still can't control them. And the autocratic partisans are unruly rabblerousers that hurt diplomacy, but are more powerful.

Pure speculation though :)

Top Bottom