1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Parts recommendations?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by .Shane., Apr 8, 2010.

1. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Due to my kids PC dying, I need to take these parts and turn them into something usable.

Here's the pieces I have:

*Core 2 Duo E6600, with a 680i MB
    *attached Zalman 9700 fan
    *4 MB RAM

What I think I need:
    *Case
    *Vid Card(s)
    *Hard drive(s)
    *CD/DVD Burner
    *Windows 7 (have XP if we can go the upgrade route)

Budget: $500, willing to marginally exceed if it means hitting a sweetspot somewhere.

Regarding harddrives: I was thinking of buying two. 1 would be small and extremely fast and would run the OS. The 2nd would be larger and run extremely fast and be where I stored all my games, etc.... I would cannabilize a 3rd disc from my existing box and use that for storage, etc...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

edit: This will be my primary PC. I use it for: Gaming (Civ4/5 and some FPS), surfing, writing, music ripping, and some video editing (think Adobe Premiere)

2. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

Does case include power supply or do you have one already? And by extremely fast hard drives you mean SSD? And do you need DirectX 11?

3. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

I don't have a PSU, so the case would need to come w/ one or I'd be adding that to the list. :)

Do I need DirectX11? Sorry, but you'll have to elaborate that's a bit beyond what I understand about hardware (been several years since I had to consider such things). In terms of the HD, I don't mean anything in particular, I know I want a fast drive, relative to what I can spend, versus a super large storage.

I hope that helps and I appreciate your help.

4. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Well you didn't mention if the ram was DDR2 or not, but I'll assume it is.

I'd go all microATX with what you have, since it's not very special by today's standards (I'd guess about 1-1/2 to 2 years old). MicroATX case for about $60, name brand burner for $30, smallish hard drive for about $70. Older microATX mobo for about $50-70 (I'd go with ASUS, but no need to go for HD outputs on the mobo, if you get a nice vid card).

So that's about $260 with shipping, and just throw in an adequate vid card for about $100 or so.
    And use the remainder upgrade the LCD to like 22" if you don't have one already.

Or maybe just get a PS2/XBOX 360? :) :) :)

Really, if you want a very nice comp for your kid, probably build from scratch with the $500, including CPU, but there's nothing wrong with the 6600 for a student computer. For a versatile new PC and Civ5, build from scratch.

5. DeathReborn

DeathReborn Chieftain

Something like this should do:

Case - APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR G-Type X-JPJGT-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Power Supply - SeaSonic SS-550HT 80plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Graphics Card - POWERCOLOR AX5750 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5750 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Hard Drive - SAMSUNG HD754JJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    DVD Writer - Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support
    Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

That comes to about $450 but if you take out Windows 7 you can get a X-Fi based Sound Card instead of using the audio on your motherboard, you could also bump up the hard drive to a 1TB drive or add in a 320GB OS drive and use the 750GB for Games\Apps.

Graphics card, since you'll be doing some FPS gaming a 5750/5770 or a GTS250 would be best.

Windows 7 works best on a SSD but you'd be looking at $80+ for a 30/32GB drive which is the minimum for Windows 7. You're better off with a regualr hard drive for Windows XP if you stick with that.

6. Fëanor

Fëanor Chieftain

GPU: HD5770 @ $140
    OS HDD: 40GB X25-V SSD @ $125
    Storage HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 @ $90 (or slower 1TB HDD for $80)
    Case: HAF 922 with 600W PSU @ $160
    CD/DVD Burner: Any $25
    Total: $540

Windows 7 will totally bust the budget so i you want to buy that just cant afford the "Extremely Fast HDD'' you'd like to have for your OS.

Keep in mind that in SSD's will become a lot bigger and cheaper in Q4 2010 because of mass production of the new 25nm NAND Flash memory, so waiting till then for a super fast HDD might be best.

7. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

From Linux to you:
    :p

8. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

From OP to Linux:

9. DeathReborn

DeathReborn Chieftain

Only use a SSD in Windows XP if you are willing & able to properly configure the installation for SSD use. XP does not properly write to the the blocks on the SSD leading to performance losses & things like defragmenting shorten the lifespan of the drive drastically.

10. illram

illram Deity

For more opinions you could check out Tom's Hardware Forums. Tons and tons of posts about people building their own systems, odds are there are people looking at the same stuff as you. Helped me get some more info when I built my own. Also their main site has a ton of hardware reviews and articles on building your own PC with specific builds for specific budgets. (Site's gone slightly downhill in past few years but overall it's a good place to start.)

Also Anandtech forums.

11. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

I don't have much experience with THG Forums, but I know HardOCP ones are also pretty good.

12. 3 EMS

3 EMS King

The 680i mother board is a full ATX spec board and does use DDR 2 memory. I think they were good for memory bandwidth besides SLi.