"Passive" Invasions

Somehow, probably just me.. but I presume the result of all this 'wasn't' to worry about a Diplomatic win.

Course if it was, had better had the Domination choice checked as well.. :crazyeye:

Either way, gotta love the 'realism' factor the programmers threw in. =--=

I make massive demands and then declare war. unless if they gave me a GPT deal

It's great idea, I've used it in the past. If it helps you win who care what it's called.

But I think it is just having troops in the AI's land and opps now we are at war.

IbnSina said:
... and if you have even so much as a worker in your enemy's territory when you declare war, you take a serious attitude hit with all the AIs. I don't care about ROP rape - the AIs do it to me all the time. I do care about exploits and attitude hits. I think this ploy scores on both of those points. I won't be using it. Nice idea, though...

I feel the same ;) , no exploits or rep hits for me. If I was already at war I
would use this tactic though :mischief: , nice planning anyway :goodjob: .

i also don't sneak attack (not out of morals, but because i like my attitude [IIRC, you get an attitude hit if you have troops in their territory but no ROP, and a rep hit if you do]), although i'll still probably use this, the benifit is just too good :goodjob:

@tomoyo: how is it different than if a military unit were top go in and was not forced to get out?

ybbor said:
@tomoyo: how is it different than if a military unit were top go in and was not forced to get out?
What is "it"?

Tomoyo said:
What is "it"?

what is this, verbal tenis ;)

the stragy posted one the first post

Then "it" is different when you have a military unit because in my only acceptable situation you have to declare war beforehand, so without the military unit, the settler dies.

Tomoyo said:
Then "it" is different when you have a military unit because in my only acceptable situation you have to declare war beforehand, so without the military unit, the settler dies.
Unless the devine RNG smiles uppon you, and blesses your settler by allowing the AI to ignore it. (which can be made far more likley with proper planning)

Yuri2356 said:
Unless the devine RNG smiles uppon you, and blesses your settler by allowing the AI to ignore it. (which can be made far more likley with proper planning)

But thats rather unlikely if you are in the age of railroads...every railroaded tile can be reached without movement cost.

unless if you do a turn or 2 of costal bombardment and shell those rails into dust.

Tomoyo said:
If I was already at war before settling the outpost city, the settler would be dead.
I didn't understand this comment at first. But I guess what you are saying is that the settler would be dead if you dumped it undefended in enemy territory and then let it sit there a turn before establishing the city. I suppose that dumping an undefended settler this way before you have declared war is what the original poster proposed, and I agree with you that it is in the spirit of RoP rape - I don't do it.

If I am already at war, however, I have been known to found a city within enemy lines, using a defended settler of course. Some still consider this in the spirit of RoP rape - I recall a lengthy debate about this a few years back when Moonsinger introduced her settler advancement tactic. So I'm asking, Tomoyo (and others), do you consider it RoP rape?

Yes. The "bubble chamber" tactic isn't really ROP rape, to me. It's just a different exploit. However, just plain founding in AI territory at war is not.

Pfeffersack said:
But thats rather unlikely if you are in the age of railroads...every railroaded tile can be reached without movement cost.
unless if you do a turn or 2 of costal bombardment and shell those rails into dust.
Or provide a number of 'decoys' in other parts of enemy territory which will attract more attention than some poor, defenseless settler. (Finaly, a use for paratroopers)

A settler will attract more attention than a paratrooper.

Tomoyo said:
A settler will attract more attention than a paratrooper.
Paratroopers are just examples. Any number of Units couls be used which would provide sufficent distraction to an AI. Bombardment and proper planning could be employed as well to ensure that no enemy unit could possibly react the settler before it founds a city.

ais attack weak and defenseless units first. then they go after the things that defend themselves.

Top Bottom