1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Passive" Invasions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Crow T Robot, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Gaian Knight

Gaian Knight Chieftain

Somehow, probably just me.. but I presume the result of all this 'wasn't' to worry about a Diplomatic win.

Course if it was, had better had the Domination choice checked as well.. :crazyeye:

Either way, gotta love the 'realism' factor the programmers threw in. =--=

2. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I make massive demands and then declare war. unless if they gave me a GPT deal

3. Randy

Randy Chieftain

It's great idea, I've used it in the past. If it helps you win who care what it's called.

But I think it is just having troops in the AI's land and opps now we are at war.

4. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

I feel the same ;) , no exploits or rep hits for me. If I was already at war I
    would use this tactic though :mischief: , nice planning anyway :goodjob: .

5. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

i also don't sneak attack (not out of morals, but because i like my attitude [IIRC, you get an attitude hit if you have troops in their territory but no ROP, and a rep hit if you do]), although i'll still probably use this, the benifit is just too good :goodjob:

@tomoyo: how is it different than if a military unit were top go in and was not forced to get out?

6. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

What is "it"?

7. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

what is this, verbal tenis ;)

the stragy posted one the first post

8. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Then "it" is different when you have a military unit because in my only acceptable situation you have to declare war beforehand, so without the military unit, the settler dies.

9. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Unless the devine RNG smiles uppon you, and blesses your settler by allowing the AI to ignore it. (which can be made far more likley with proper planning)

10. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

But thats rather unlikely if you are in the age of railroads...every railroaded tile can be reached without movement cost.

11. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

unless if you do a turn or 2 of costal bombardment and shell those rails into dust.

12. satchel

satchel Chieftain

I didn't understand this comment at first. But I guess what you are saying is that the settler would be dead if you dumped it undefended in enemy territory and then let it sit there a turn before establishing the city. I suppose that dumping an undefended settler this way before you have declared war is what the original poster proposed, and I agree with you that it is in the spirit of RoP rape - I don't do it.

If I am already at war, however, I have been known to found a city within enemy lines, using a defended settler of course. Some still consider this in the spirit of RoP rape - I recall a lengthy debate about this a few years back when Moonsinger introduced her settler advancement tactic. So I'm asking, Tomoyo (and others), do you consider it RoP rape?

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Yes. The "bubble chamber" tactic isn't really ROP rape, to me. It's just a different exploit. However, just plain founding in AI territory at war is not.

14. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Or provide a number of 'decoys' in other parts of enemy territory which will attract more attention than some poor, defenseless settler. (Finaly, a use for paratroopers)

15. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

A settler will attract more attention than a paratrooper.

16. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Paratroopers are just examples. Any number of Units couls be used which would provide sufficent distraction to an AI. Bombardment and proper planning could be employed as well to ensure that no enemy unit could possibly react the settler before it founds a city.

17. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

ais attack weak and defenseless units first. then they go after the things that defend themselves.

18. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Then throw in some slave workers, and spread them out so they can't kill them all with one unit.

19. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I prefer to shell their coast

20. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

That was plan 'A'...