Patch 3.30 Is Messed Up. Tips To Improve Patching.

Sid's Sushit

Chieftain
Before patch 3.30 Beyond the Sword crashed every 15-20 minutes. After the patch the animations have become weird, the leader’s relations screen is completely messed up, the game STILL crashes every 15-20 minutes, and none of the bugs affecting game balance have been fixed.

Now this is bad so I need to give tips otherwise the forum moderators will close my message. Even if they are volunteers and do not work for Firaxis they want us to give tips to Firaxis in order to improve the game. So this is my tip to Firaxis: patch are supposed to fix bugs not the create new ones! Before realising an official patch you must make sure that it doesn't create more bugs than it fixes. You also need to solve the game balance problems. For example espionage, apostolic palace and corporations are broken and the patch 3.30 does not fix that. So my tip is: make patches that stop the game being unbalanced without introducing new bugs. And playtest more before releasing the patches!

Patch 3.03 is broken (at least as far as adding more problems then it fixes). Your best bet is to uninstall BtS, then reinstall sans 3.03 patch, and your combat animations will work again. That's what I did.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions that its just the graphics of combat that are broken, and not the actual outcomes?

sid'suhorsehocky... dear boy...
so much new threads in so few days to tell the same thing again and again: bravo, bel effort!
you seems to claim the price of "the quickest troll ever" don't you?

the new patch is broken? ok we may agree with you
just wait the next patch and breathe!
:)

Can anyone confirm my suspicions that its just the graphics of combat that are broken, and not the actual outcomes?

That's how it seems. The game still plays the same, just that the combat animations (when it zooms in) no longer match the outcome of the battles. Units fall over without being struck, these same units later magically reappear and continue to fight. You really have to watch the messages to determine who won the fight. And now you can't tell how hurt the unit is by the number of figures in it. I've had lone archers be at full strength...

I upgraded to patch 3.03, and I'm fine so far. However (and this is probably important), I always disable the Combat Zoom feature. My poor li'l 64mb graphics card doesn't like it.

So ... if patch 3.03 broke the Combat Zoom, I have no way of knowing. That said, it didn't seem to break anything else. :)

Those are some really great tips! I have some more:
  • Always do the right thing.
  • Never give up.
  • Respect your parents.
  • Don't do drugs.
  • There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
  • A stitch in time saves nine.
  • Revenge is a dish best served with sushi.

I hope this helps Firaxis come up with better patches in the future.

I won't be installing 3.03.

Eh, at least Sid's commenting on something that might be actually wrong this time (i.e. a bad patch), and not 100% trolling efforts.

Oh, and seriously, I read your earlier posts - they really WERE just empty criticism with no suggestions. That doesn't mean you have to make suggestions every post; it means that it's kinda pointless to just bash on stuff without either 1) asking others how to fix it or 2) offering ways to fix it.

As it stands, you come off sounding like someone who hates just about every aspect of the Civ IV game, yet continues to play anyway... This seems somewhat strange to me. Not every game is for every player - if you really hate it so bad... play something else?

My apologies - I'm going to be feeding the troll with this, aren't I? I just hate to see the comments/allusions that Fireaxis controls the mods or that criticism/negative comments aren't allowed...

Back on topic - so I take it the fact that I haven't managed to find time to install the new patch yet may be a good thing?

Top Bottom