1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch 474.05

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by berenvaz, Sep 1, 2017.

1. berenvaz

berenvaz Chieftain

I have the 474.03 version of this great game. Im searching for the 474.05 patch.

2. GoldBerg

GoldBerg CivDosPlayer of '91

"474.05" is not a patch, it's another *.exe of the game.
    Suggestion:
    Stay with the 474.03,
    it's good.
    I did play with that for ~20 years, the best games i ever did play, with 474.03.

First version "474.01" is the most useful anyway, because of the cheat/god/developer test modes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  3. berenvaz

berenvaz Chieftain

Yes i still love to play civ 1 (Dos version, winciv not so much)

4. GoldBerg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. berenvaz

berenvaz Chieftain

Thanks GoldBerg but i find the solution. Is here in the fórum https://www.civfanatics.com/civ1/faq/section-a-general-information/

in section 11 of the FAQ you can find:

" 11)
    Where can I get an updated version?MicroProse does not charge for their updates. (LD charges not included :)) You can call their BBS at 410-785-1841 and download the latest versions of Civ and their other titles as well… It is also available at ftp.uwp.edu:/pub/games/romulus/misc/civv05.zip."

6. GoldBerg

There's no
    ftp.uwp.edu
    anymore.
    That was something from the mid-1990s. :crazyeye:

"BBS" :lol:

:thumbsup: ...but that "civv05.zip" filename brought up the old information from the year 2000:
    https://apolyton.net/articles/civil...9-microprose-civilization-faq-section-genaral

and, there:
    https://apolyton.net/content.php/324-Microprose-Civilization-FAQ-Section-Genaral#gen2

• v1: The original game.
    • v2: This version attempted---and failed---to fix the Advisory Bug. It did fix the Score Bug, and removed the Shift-56 Cheat.
    • v3: Once again tried to fix the Advisory Bug, and failed again. Added some new pictures. Added "very unhappy people." Removed free barracks. No longer able to disband a population-1 city at Chieftain level by buying a settler. Transports no longer made people unhappy under a Democracy or Republic. Overall, the game became harder for veteran players. This version is harder to play than previous versions, mainly for people playing Despotic Conquest.
    • v4: No changes; just converted for HD disks.
    • v5: The most recent failed attempt to repair the Advisory Bug. Note: There is no other difference between v3 and v5.
    p.s.
    it looks like it's possible that the "474.05 / civv05.zip" file is still available for apolyton.net members?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. berenvaz

berenvaz Chieftain

:)
    Yep i was in college in the early 1990´s

Well if "There is no other difference between v3 and v5." I´ll stick with the 474.03

Thx

8. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

Ahh, thank you. That's why the ^56 thing never worked for me in CivWIN, because the port to winworld was done after it was removed from the game. I've just been copying the "civwin" folder from each old 'puter to the next new one for nearly 20 years now, good thing it works because i haven't seen my Civ1 install disks for many years. I remember putting them in a separate place, not with the rest of software install disks, because i loved Civ so much that i wanted the disks always near at hand. One thing i did find last year, when going through a box of old junk, is the Civ1 manual i printed out in '99. Naturally, if i'd just kept the diskettes with the rest of my software, would never have lost track of them. :)

Someday i'll find them, likely when looking for something totally unrelated, and then i'll be able to play CivDOS for the first time this century! Errr, once i find and install a floppy drive, that is, hehee!

9. Blake00

Blake00 Chieftain

Now I'm rather confused. Everyone's talking about 474.0x versions here and in other threads yet my old dos civ 1 from my childhood says 475.01 when I start it up? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Attached Files:

10. Mize

Mize Chieftain

.01 is the original unpatched version, which has the Shift-56 debug mode and different unhappiness rules that make it easier to build a lot of cities without having many unhappy people. There are also other small differences compared to .03, which is the latest version of Civ DOS, as far as rule changes go.

11. Blake00

Blake00 Chieftain

So if its only about the .0x number then whats the whole 474 vs 475 thing about? Region? eg US vs Europe vs JP or something?

12. Mize

Mize Chieftain

Read GoldBerg's last post here.

13. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

Dagnabbit, now more curious than ever. Blake00 has mentioned playing Colonization as well, and that's where i got my Civ1, in a bundled set of floppies with CivDOS, CivWIN and Civ Colonization. Printed out the full manuals of Civ1 and Colonization, and have those on the bookshelf. If i could just find those damned diskettes, maybe the CivDOS i have is this version 475.01, instead of one of various "474" versions GoldBerg mentioned?

I did play CivDOS first, when i started civving in '99, and recall that the SHIFT-56 cheat worked, even though it was a CivDOS version that came bundled with Colonization. Perhaps Blake00 could snap a screenshot of the version number in his CivDOS, to see if a 475 exists outside the 474 family? Wish i could find my darned disks.

14. Blake00

Blake00 Chieftain

I did, problem was I didn't click on his links haha. Now I see it was about 'distribution' which probably pretty much was I was thinking with regional anyway. All makes sense now. And being a .01 version makes sense as I remember I saw some amazing bugs as a kid eg new land appearing above the north pole that if I built a city there would generate insane amounts of resources creating super mega cities!

Already did mate, there's a screenshot attached to my post before last. :) One of my friends bought the game on disks in I think and being early 90s kids not thinking about piracy we all shared it around with each other haha. So presumably Australia was part of the 475 family distribution.