Patch date?

ErichRommel

Chieftain
So anyone know when this patch firaxis talked about is coming out? Sure would like to play in full HD once..

My guess would be before TG. There is no way they want to hit Black Friday without some kind of patch release.

My guess would be before TG. There is no way they want to hit Black Friday without some kind of patch release.
I suspect this (and probably budget) is one of the reasons we haven't seen a smaller patch for the technical issues yet. QA testing costs time and money, so I assume they skipped the smaller patch this time in order to eke out few more days for the "big" patch.

I hope it comes soon. I stopped playing the current version as I can't handle the micromanagement anymore.

I suspect this (and probably budget) is one of the reasons we haven't seen a smaller patch for the technical issues yet. QA testing costs time and money, so I assume they skipped the smaller patch this time in order to eke out few more days for the "big" patch.

Not sure about this. An amateur has patched the game and all the issues they are doing in three days. The so called professionals are almost up to a month now.

Not if the patch would make things work. Bug fixing, testing, etc. usually doesn't care what holiday is coming; it can't go out until it's ready.

Not if the patch would make things work. Bug fixing, testing, etc. usually doesn't care what holiday is coming; it can't go out until it's ready.

If you ask some they pushed the game out too early. You don't think they'd push a patch out too early to hit a deadline? Black Friday is a huge day for all retail sales. specifically it's a big deal for the game industry too. There is a reason why a lot of the big releases are coming out this month (Assassin's Creed, DA:I, etc). Thanksgiving weekend is also usually a big Steam sale. So I expect a patch and, a price discount on Civ:BE.

Pete gave a quick update on the patch and what the team is working on in last week's livestream. He talks about it at the very beginning of the video: http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames/c/5445787

Glad to get an update. It looks like it will be a major patch that will make some big balance changes:
- unit strengths will be changed
- trade routes will be changed
- FI and Slavic UA will be changed
- Quests decisions, especially the affinity ones will be changed

Nice!

Not sure about this. An amateur has patched the game and all the issues they are doing in three days. The ... professionals are almost up to a month now.

Putting on my programmers hat, yes, big companies almost always have slower releases than lone wolves. When it's just one guy he can publish whenever he wants. When working with the company, then when he's done it has to go thru the QA department, and once they release it, then it has to be approved for production release.

I see reference to dates, no, it's not really important for a patch to be released before black Friday as opposed to right after it, remember that one of the Civ V vanilla balance patches was released on Dec 26 a few years back. (I remember it well because Steam's servers got overwhelmed from people downloading their Christmas presents.)

Thanks for the link.

Side note, towards the end he asks what their future plans are for BE and he addresses this by talking about modding, and they will have a modding tutorial in next weeks stream. Does not give me much hope that we'll see expansions for this game.

I'd be surprised micromanagement would be (largely) removed.

I sure hope they do something about the trade routes, which is my biggest concern. I'm about to try one of the mods that increases the time span of trade routes to 80 or 250 turns. It's far from an ideal solution, but it may make it possible for me to enjoy the game again.

Fixing the Autoplant quest has the potential to reduce trade route numbers by a third, so that'd be something.

Yeah, the autoplant quest is clearly a design bug. It indicates that they had built the game with a civ wide trade route cap instead of a per-city cap, and that quest was supposed to give a +1 global bonus similar to +1 spy or a free tech. When they switched the trade route limits to be based on your cities, that +1 trade route became +50% trade routes. Oops.

Yeah, the autoplant quest is clearly a design bug. It indicates that they had built the game with a civ wide trade route cap instead of a per-city cap, and that quest was supposed to give a +1 global bonus similar to +1 spy or a free tech. When they switched the trade route limits to be based on your cities, that +1 trade route became +50% trade routes. Oops.

Yeah, the other building quests need rebalancing, too - many seem to imply that all yields are equal, so you'll get stuff like "+1 energy or +1 production" which is a no-brainer since energy is less good than production.

At the same time, you get quests like the Thorium Reactor one which is +1 production or +2 energy, and the way that you get +3 energy and +1 health for going Aristocrats in the game start compared to the +2 production of Engineers, so it's not even consistently badly balanced, it just looks like they had different people doing different parts of the game, and neither spoke to the other about their design decisions.

Top Bottom