Patch is live

I still have few polder sites in my current game. Map gave me a long straight coastline. Thanks game. Could have played the Europe map I suppose.

Is it just me... weren't the 2k/Firaxis/etc intro videos part of the skipped videos prior to this patch?

Suddenly they're not skipped for me.

They're not skipped by any selection in the game options. I used the empty file trick to get rid of them (remove/rename the original logos.bk2, create an empty file with e.g. notepad and rename it logos.bk2).

"Reworked the way that warmongering is handled between declaration of war capturing cities, and razing cities."
Don't know if anyone has adressed this (didn't read 7 pages), but I'm always annoyed by the way they inform us. It's always "changed this mechanic, changed the way that was handled".

But WHAT did you change?! Ugh..

https://twitter.com/civgame/status/972045924880011264?s=21

“We have updated the game to correct a reported crash issue when loading some saves created before the March 2018 Update. If you still experience this issue, we recommend attempting to load a previous save that was not loaded/saved on the initial March update, or start a new game.”

Seems like our friends at Firaxis were burning the midnight oil to get this quick, minor update out. Tweet was sent out at 4:46AM eastern time.

Last edited:
I will tell you why Pax Britannia got nerfed; it was flat busted with the Loyalty system. I played a pre-patch game as Victoria where I captured a city in the center of an enemy's territory, a city on another continent. Ping! Fresh Swordsman. Moved out and let it flip to a Free City from Loyalty pressure. Took the city again. Ping! Fresh Swordsman. I was able to make units that way faster than by hammering them out, and they were right in the middle of the enemy's territory. It would have been real easy to do this all the way up the tech ladder. Also to Levy City-State troops right in your enemy's midst then churn and burn them into an English army of your own.

There was probably a midpoint fix of only one free melee unit per city, but I suspect the game software wasn't up to the challenge.

The software is up to that challenge That's the solution they applied to Macedon for the same problem.

I would doubt it, this seems like a patch for Rise and Fall specifically.

The entertainment district changes could have been applied to vanilla...

If I remember later, I will turn off the expansion in the content menu and start up a vanilla game to see if the new effects are on the buildings.

The entertainment district changes could have been applied to vanilla...

If I remember later, I will turn off the expansion in the content menu and start up a vanilla game to see if the new effects are on the buildings.

But it was specifically referred to as a "Rise and Fall" patch.

But it was specifically referred to as a "Rise and Fall" patch.

True, but I would be surprised if we see any more vanilla-only patches going forward. Either that means that vanilla will never see any more changes, or anything that could affect the base game as well as the expansion content could be made to function retroactively.

And as you don't have the superior water park buildings in vanilla, the normal entertainment districts buildings don't need changing...

Last edited:
True, but I would be surprised if we see any more vanilla-only patches going forward. Either that means that vanilla will never see any more changes, or anything that could affect the base game as well as the expansion content could be made to function retroactively.
I doubt there will be any more changes to gameplay in the base game. Stability and bug fixes, perhaps, but I think we should expect the base game to stay as is.

That’s just laziness on firaxis side, they have no problem implementing the experience cap for fighting free cities which means they have no problem differentiating free cities from others; if conquest free cities gives you free melee unit is exploitive, then why not just simply exclude free cities from this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/sbar713/status/971839273543618560

Sorry for the mobile link- Sarah confirms it is not only for settling, and that the text that still mentions conquering is currently incorrect. Alas, this is truly a poor fix for the stated issue.

That’s just laziness on firaxis side, they have no problem implementing the experience cap for fighting free cities which means they have no problem differentiating free cities from others; if conquest free cities gives you free melee unit is exploitive, then why not just simply exclude free cities from this?
It's not just free cities, though - if you capture another civ's city near some large cities of that civ, you can let it flip back easily, and conquer it or other similarly situated cities just for the free units.

It's not just free cities, though - if you capture another civ's city near some large cities of that civ, you can let it flip back easily, and conquer it or other similarly situated cities just for the free units.

Hence why the answer I see to be easiest is that England can only get that once per city. Done.

"Reworked the way that warmongering is handled between declaration of war capturing cities, and razing cities."
Don't know if anyone has adressed this (didn't read 7 pages), but I'm always annoyed by the way they inform us. It's always "changed this mechanic, changed the way that was handled".

But WHAT did you change?! Ugh..
yep no one has figured out the answer to this yet ?

Top Bottom