Patch News!

Stuie

Laudir Agus Mir
Posted at Apolyton:

Hello everyone!

I`ve heard from many of you via the Firaxis website Contact Us form (many thanks for all the dxdiag files and savegames) and wanted to say thanks for all the feedback and detailed bug reports that were sent up.

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of [this] Monday afternoon, the patch was sent to [publisher] 2K [Games] for final testing, so barring any problems in Q[uality] A[ssurance], we will be releasing it shortly.

Some of the highlights include multiple A[rtificial] I[ntelligence] improvements and tweaks, worker behavior tweaks, MANY game play improvements (ex Animal Husbandry reveals horses), promotion tweaks, a softer pillage sound (requested by many, many people), fixed diplomatic exploits (gold for gold, peace treaty exploit), multiplayer tweaks (Hot seat, Lobby, etc.), memory, caching and performance improvements, etc. There were also a number of video card specific fixes.

To those of you having problems, thanks for your patience. Our guys were working around the clock with your detailed feedback to produce this patch. For those of you having no problems, it`s only going to get better.

Dennis Shirk
Firaxis Games

Link: http://civilization4.net/

well, that's a good news.

HAIL FIRAXIS :):):)

This is what gives me most hope:

"....multiplayer tweaks (Hot seat, Lobby, etc.), memory, caching and performance improvements..."

I think civ4 is the best game ever, but only if the MP works how it should work!

Now lets hope this patch will fix the most annoying problems so that MP gameplay will become better considerately!

Greetingsz

Okay, I feel marginally better about the Patch news now.

Fixing gameplay issues was on the top of their queue, though? I think some more tech issues should have been the focus and get those fixes out ASAP.

That sounds great. I hope it will let me play on huge maps :goodjob:

animal husbandry reveals horses? wtf? it's not like iron which you have to mine for...it's a friggin horse...it's a little hard to miss even if you don't know how to put a saddle on it.:rolleyes:

not bad. i hope they fixed the random crash to desktop problem.

Big Ev said:

Fixing gameplay issues was on the top of their queue, though? I think some more tech issues should have been the focus and get those fixes out ASAP.

It may have been a matter of using available people/skillsets for different tasks. The developers working the technical issues may have needed two weeks, during which other developers could work on other issues, thus getting us a patch that addresses multiple facets of the game - both gameplay and technical.

Big Ev said:

Well,.. according to them:

"There were also a number of video card specific fixes."

That ought to fix a few of the more major bugs, since it seems most of the incompatabilities are with graphics cards.:goodjob:

Stuie said:
It may have been a matter of using available people/skillsets for different tasks. The developers working the technical issues may have needed two weeks, during which other developers could work on other issues, thus getting us a patch that addresses multiple facets of the game - both gameplay and technical.
Good point, I thought too quickly.

Good news. :D

Hopefully there are also some interface / advisor screens improvements, especillay the military advisor which I currently think is pretty useless.

Otherwise..:goodjob:

Hopefully the memory and caching fixes will allow me to play on the huge maps without so much slow down. That is when I really started seeing bad slowdown, standard size maps aren't really a problem on my PC.

Kind of funny that they mention (rather minor) in my opinion play fixes first and then mention the memory/vid card/ programming issues almost as an afterthought.

But its good news to hear a patch is due out soon.

"memory, caching and performance improvements, etc. There were also a number of video card specific fixes."

Notice how the memory and caching changes are "improvements" while the video card changes are "fixes"???

Didn't another poster identify a MEMORY LEAK? Memory leaks are FIXED not IMPROVED.

I think the PR guy may have been involved in the statement... :lol:

I really don't think it's a memory leak as they tend to increase exponentially with time. I've analyzed memory usage and I feel that the increases we see are due to more objects (units, cities, buildings, etc) being introduced to the game over time.

Uty said:
I really don't think it's a memory leak as they tend to increase exponentially with time. I've analyzed memory usage and I feel that the increases we see are due to more objects (units, cities, buildings, etc) being introduced to the game over time.

The must be a serious memory leak with this game. For example, you will notice a significant slow down or crash after swapping map with another civ.

Top Bottom