Patch waiting area

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Piruparka, Oct 31, 2016.

1. knightblaster

knightblaster Chieftain

This is true, I think. Most Civ players haven't played 100+ hours yet and mostly on deity and so on. This forum skews quite heavily power user, which is fine, but it also means it is a skew. Overall the reviews are positive, and most of these are likely from the typical casual Civ player who has played maybe 10, maybe 20 hours so far and probably has a few head-scratching moments but hasn't been pushing it hard to find various exploits and so on. Firaxis is more concerned about that mass of players than they are about the 5-10% hardcore enthusiasts, really, although I am sure they will use the feedback from users here to improve the game -- the timeline isn't as urgent as it is for people here, because, again, most people haven't burned through 100+ hours on it yet, so aren't feeling as pressed/frustrated yet either.

Xyriach likes this.
  2. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

I've clocked almost 100 hours, and still having a ton of fun (only played 5 civs to completion so far so I've only scratched the surface, or ~1/4 of the current content, excluding MP, scenarios, and advanced starts). Considering I just saw a review on Steam from someone that "loved Civ V" and put in "~167 hours" so it seems like I am getting my monies worth. I wish the turn times in the late game were better. On my system, on a Large map it churns for 2-3 minutes which feels like an eternity. But that's my biggest gripe at the moment.

For reference I was disappointed in BE. Though I managed to put in 186, they weren't all enjoyable. I feel pretty good that I will hit those numbers with 6, probably before the first patch. Gonna be a a while till I get to my CiV numbers though (currently at 1250 hours).

WorldWarIV and nzcamel like this.
  3. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I'm perfectly satisfied with my preorder. Yes there are some glaring issues but I've had a blast with it so far even so.

4. Znabel15

Znabel15 Viking

5. esoba

esoba Warlord

I've only put in 50 hours, but I do find myself getting more and more frustrated with diplomacy and the warmongering and general "diplo scores". I won't stop playing until the patch because I am having fun, but I would be having sooooo much more fun if diplomacy made a a little more sense and warmongering penalties were cut drastically and more in line with a realistic experience.

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  6. Falk

Falk Prince

I'm at 50h, I've just achieved my first culture win, and I intend to wait for a patch now.

It's not that I dislike the game though. It's fun and the AI and balancing are not as bad as i had thought after the first 20h or so. But it does need some work.

I'm mostly looking forward to balancing changes, especially the production vs science/culture balancing. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, beelining CHs and IZs is far superior to anything else I have tried or seen. I'd like to see more viable options.

AI/diplomacy definitely needs a lot of work, but that will take a while I reckon.

7. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

49 hours played. I`m fooling around with different districts on each playthrough. Trying to get a good mix.
    Right now i really have to get those encampments right. Normally i start building them around modern era. Which is to late for tech boosts and production. ALso i rarely ever get the 2 markets, great merchant and 4 trade routes tech boosts.
    No problem beating emperor do with a questionable army.

8. Hajee

Hajee Prince

An AI patch wont be in till next year (2-3) months away.

The game is logging as much data as it can from the players is wont be uploaded to the devs intill Nov 28. At the point to can compile data to see AI trends and make adjustments.

I think there is a patch under way soon to fix minor bugs and exploits, as well as the SDK and DX 12 update.

9. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I did notice there is an online component to SP civ. I just assumed it was DRM and 2K account 'features' Can you confirm it is logging play data?

Also where did you get the Nov 28 date from?

10. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

Just a quick question, iirc in the past there had always been some developers around in these forums like Dennis Shirk etc. Haven't seen any of them lately. Do we know anything about why they've been so silent?

11. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

I have that too in my game. My biggest cities had -5 or more war weariness even when I was at peace, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not. I have buenos Aires and a bunch of entertainment complexes now to try to fix things, but its definitely slowing me down.

12. Hajee

Hajee Prince

C:\Users\.....\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs

Here you can see the game is logging everything. And the file "Automation". I am assuming this is the upload date and time as I changed the date and get an error loggin into the game with connecting to 2k server

Added note you can turn off the AI capture part thus helping some performance as the cpu wont need to logged so much into a cvs file. This can be done under the File "UserOptions" where Log all AI systems =1, turn 1 to 0

dexters likes this.
  13. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

That is super intersting.

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Hajee

Hajee Prince

Yeah, just wish I turn off all the other logs ie Combat etc

15. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Great post, especially the part I marked as bold.
    I really hope they will do something to fix those issues ASAP. I agree that we shouldn't expect much in terms of AI improvements in November, maybe not even this year.

What I'm afraid about: I fear they won't have the balls to make substantial changes.
    As example, I doubt they would change the base water tile yield to make coastal cities worthwhile.
    I fear they will add 1 or 2 food/gold to the lighthouse and call it a day, possible due to a fear to introduce new issues. Or just out of stubbornness - It might take them more than a few weeks to accept the fact that they some of their ideas just don't work as expected.

Personally, I agree to the OP. The game has an amazing core, but there are potentially easy-to-fix issues that make it a bit frustrating currently. Especially the extremely long build times, they turn the game into a slog after 100 turns.

16. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I'm not really playing whilst I wait for the patch. No fun playing against an AI that I know can and will be much better.

17. Gin-san

Gin-san Chieftain

I'm also on standby until some patches arrive. Out of my 4 games so far, 2 could not be finished due to bugs crashing my game in the lategame. I don't wanna waste my time by starting games I may not be able to complete. So for now, back to Civ 5 it is.

18. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

I wouldn't count on significant changes on the first patch.

At worst, I say we get some stability fixes or whatnot.

At best, they kill some of the exploits.

19. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Sure but on the other hand there's this. Every other recent civ title had followed success.

VI follows Beyond Earth. So if we think that VI is essentially just as shallow and unsatisfying, we can predict where VI will be a year from now after slow and window-dressing-only patches (\_)

And honestly they could just set the AI to conquer the human like crazy above King, upgrade its units, halve warmonger penalties, and fix nothing else, now, TODAY, and I would finally buy my own copy of the game. Fixing the AI is hard but making the AI contribute to the excitement of the game at all is solved by crude temporary extremes.

20. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Thats where I'm at. 20hrs in and I'm still getting the hang of buildings/districts/terrain.

In 40hrs I expect to have a better handle on diplomacy.

At 60hrs I should have some nice strategies for policies and tech.

No major patches until late November would suit me just fine.

Suntechnique likes this.