Patria Grande: Civilizations of the Americas

(ok, music option A won) A bit more Paraguay:

I really like the colour scheme for the territory itself, but I'm not entirely sold on the blue bits in the middle. Maybe that's just me, Iunno. Awesome background though. =]

Ok. Now THIS dosen't work. I put it in the civilization.xml file to give it to the Toltecs.

Code:
	<Civilization_FreePolicies>
		<Row>
			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_TOLTEC</CivilizationType>
			<PolicyType>POLICY_DUMMY</PolicyType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_FreePolicies>

EDIT: For some reason the Toltecs are prevented from being added to the game wither by this or the dummy policy I added,

Code:
<GameData>
	<Policies>
		<Row>
			<Type>POLICY_DUMMY</Type>
			<Description>/Description>
			<OneShot>true</OneShot>
		</Row>
	</Policies>
    <Resources>
		<Update>
			<Type>RESOURCE_ARTIFACTS</Type>
			<PolicyReveal>POLICY_DUMMY</PolicyReveal>
			<TechReveal>TECH_ARCHAEOLOGY</TechReveal>
		</Update>
	</Resources>
</GameData>

Great read on the Toltecs Reedstilt.

Thanks for the ideas! How does this sound?

UA: The Phases of Monte Albán/The Cloud People - Defensive buildings are 50% cheaper in cities founded on Hills. Gain a small culture boost when Open Borders treaties are signed

(First part is to represent their resilience to conquering in the face of the Aztecs and the second part is to represent that ""Zapotec quarter" ehecatzin mentioned)

UU: ???

UI: Ceremonial Catacombs (name not final) - Must be built on hills or tiles adjacent to mountains. Provides +1 Culture and +1 Faith and comes at Pottery. +1 Faith after Theology is researched. Can only be built by wounded units with health under 50% (unit dies afterwards). Or just workers. One is morbid and kinda cool, the other makes sense too.

I dont think the catacombs would translate very well into UI given their underground nature?
I think the Zapotecs lend themselves to GP generation rather than a purely cultural gameplay. Im thinking a tall gameplay that can use GP in odd ways could be interesting.

UA: Be'ena' Za'a: Cities on Hills count as a source of fresh water, using Great People also gives a boost of a random yield.
UU: Tepoztopilli warrior: Replaces Spearmen, +10% Strenght within 4 tiles of a city.
UB: Ceremonial Center: Replaces Castle, +25 :c5greatperson: generation

So the idea here is to be able to create tall cities despite the location (as long as its on hills), the GP bonus yield is there to represent the Zapotec burial tradition, buring their great people with massive riches.

The Tepoztopilli is the name of the long halber-like spears used in mesoamerica, the Zapotecs made extensive use of those way before the Aztecs came around, and in game terms its supposed to help you defend better until the big kicker UB shows up.

You could take this guy in the middle (which was inspired by Zapotec representations on the Nutall Codex)
Spoiler :

and arm him with this (taken from a lost original of the Real Armeria)

Spoiler :

The Ceremonial center was the hearth of every Zapotec city, the temples, ballcourts palaces, tombs, was all cramped together in the citadel like Center, at times of war all the people would retreat to the Ceremonial center and fortify it, they were Zapotec citadels for all means, thats why it replaces the castle, its multipurpose nature is why it gives a bonus to GP generation.

Spoiler :

So yeah thats my suggestion, it still keeps a focus on defense, as you want to get to those Ceremonial centers, it represents their irrigations systems by the city location, and the focus on GP and bonus yields show their burial traditions.

I don't think there's a Civilization_FreePolicies table you must use my <DummyPolicy> tag which is used in the Tupi (it requires a lua file which you can directly include and the sql file there too)

The map is a little confusing, how about zoom out a little and land can be different shade of blue.

This isn't working but I should be nearly there. Any idea on how to fix it?
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameData>
	<Traits>
		<Row>
			<Type>TRAIT_TOLTECAYOTL</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TOLTECAYOTL</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TOLTECAYOTL_SHORT</ShortDescription>
			<DummyPolicy>POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL</DummyPolicy>
		</Row>
	</Traits>
	<Policies>
		<Row>
			<Type>POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL_TEXT</Civilopedia>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL_HELP</Help>
			<GridX>1000</GridX>
			<GridY>1000</GridY>
			<PortraitIndex>47</PortraitIndex>
			<IconAtlas>POLICY_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<IconAtlasAchieved>POLICY_A_ATLAS</IconAtlasAchieved>
		</Row>
	</Policies>
	<Resources>
		<Update>
			<PolicyReveal>POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL</PolicyReveal>
		</Update>
	</Resources>
	<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TOLTECAYOTL">
		<Text>WIP</Text>
	</Row>
	<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TOLTECAYOTL_SHORT">
		<Text>Toltecayotl</Text>
	</Row>
</GameData>

This is terribly off-topic but someone suggested me this as the War Song for Chile and I certainly can see why, so I believed I should pass it to you:
Spoiler :

This isn't working but I should be nearly there. Any idea on how to fix it?
Code:
<GameData>
	<Traits>
		<Row>
		</Row>
	</Traits>
	<Policies>
		<Row>
			<GridX>1000</GridX>
			<GridY>1000</GridY>
		</Row>
	</Policies>
	<Resources>
		<Update>
			<PolicyReveal>POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL</PolicyReveal>
		</Update>
	</Resources>
		<Text>WIP</Text>
	</Row>
		<Text>Toltecayotl</Text>
	</Row>
</GameData>

Leave GridX and GridY empty. The social policy screen ignores values not lesser and greater than 0 (so 0). Also, are you sure giving Artifacts a prerequisite policy won't interfere with how players normally reveal Artifacts?

UU: Tepoztopilli warrior: Replaces Spearmen, +10% Strenght within 4 tiles of a city.

The Tepoztopilli is the name of the long halber-like spears used in mesoamerica, the Zapotecs made extensive use of those way before the Aztecs came around, and in game terms its supposed to help you defend better until the big kicker UB shows up.

I like the idea of the spearman replacement. It also works well with Classic Zapotec tactics as well, with their apparent focus on spear-and-shield melee tactics. Is your intent for them to get the Strength bonus when attacking enemy cities as well, or just defensively?

If you guys need concept art with making units ShiroKobbure(a very talented artist in his own right) uploaded a pack of Civilization 3 units with his own interpretations on some of the lesser known units of ancient mexico and elsewhere: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=520780

Spoiler :
Mexico:

South America:

-Teotihuacan: Used javelin and spears, but they also used shields that were polished for maximum reflectiveness, a common tactic was to shine the light from the sun using the shields into the eyes of the enemy. Soldiers like this were used against the Maya by Prince Fire-is-Born, son of the Teotihuacan king "Spear-Thrower-Owl"

(All this according to the 2007 National Geographic Article here: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2...gcampaign=20131016_rw_membership_n1p_us_se_w# )

-The Toltecs actually were the origin of the Coyote-Eagle-Jaguar ranking military system if I'm not mistaken. They also were renowned craftsmen.

About those shields, how about if enemy "shield-shining" unit is 1-2 hexes away from you that unit gets -1 visibility
Or a special building like zulu ikanda that guves it to meele units and can be tier based promtion like zulu buffalo x, that on 1st level gives combat bonus on defenve, 2nd reduces visibility and 3rd can be more defence and further range for visibility reducing.
I dont know anything about southamerica, so you can use this or tweak fpr more historical ac.curacy

About those shields, how about if enemy "shield-shining" unit is 1-2 hexes away from you that unit gets -1 visibility
Or a special building like zulu ikanda that guves it to meele units and can be tier based promtion like zulu buffalo x, that on 1st level gives combat bonus on defenve, 2nd reduces visibility and 3rd can be more defence and further range for visibility reducing.
I dont know anything about southamerica, so you can use this or tweak fpr more historical ac.curacy

That is a good idea actually. Would represent those Teotihuacano soldiers very well.

Possible name could be Tecpiltezcatl, it means mirror of the noblemen in Nahuatl.

Leave GridX and GridY empty. The social policy screen ignores values not lesser and greater than 0 (so 0). Also, are you sure giving Artifacts a prerequisite policy won't interfere with how players normally reveal Artifacts?
Thank JFD but that wasn't the problem. I checked the lua and sql and they are fine.

I think that promotion would be extremwly usefulagainst siege weapona, since they have only 1 vissibility and makes compleyely useless without any scouts nearby with scout promotions, since anyother units will have only 1 visibility.

Those are some nice civ3 models.

@Carloso: you also have an issue with the update tags and the text:

Code:
<Update>
                <Where Type="RESOURCE_ARTIFACTS"/>
                <Set PolicyReveal="POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL"/>
            </Update>

And before the text Rows you must add a <Language_en_US> (and of course close it at the end)

@JFD: I honestly don't know, but its worth giving it a shot hehe, if it works it will be very useful for many things.

Code:
<GameData>
	<Traits>
		<Row>
		</Row>
	</Traits>
	<Policies>
		<Row>
			<GridX>0</GridX>
			<GridY>0</GridY>
		</Row>
	</Policies>
	<Resources>
		<Update>
                <Where Type="RESOURCE_ARTIFACTS"/>
                <Set PolicyReveal="POLICY_TOLTECAYOTL"/>
        </Update>
	</Resources>
	<Language_en_US>
			<Text>Can see Antiquity Sites from the start.</Text>
		</Row>
			<Text>Toltecayotl</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

I added in the <Language_en_US> tag and fixed the <Update> tags. But theres still something wrong... (This is propably the most complex trait I have ever done. :crazyeye:)

@Carloso: Hmn.. then I'd need to check the rest of the stuff, it could be a problem elsewhere.

Ok, scrap the last music vote for Paraguay :p , new options.

So, if you want to know which one is each. Peace A is called Cascada, played with a nice Paraguayan Harp by Digno García. I kind of like the slow start because of the leaderscene, and then it goes to a nice Paraguayan rythm afterwards.

Peace B is El Canto de Mi Selva, by Herminio Giménez, a bit more straightforward, but has everything needed, some violins a paraguayan harp, and good and peaceful rythm.

Peace C is India y José Asunción. Kind of has both good things, a nice and slow start that fits with Gaspar de Francia, and then goes to a faster more peaceful rythm.

Both War proposals come from India too, just a Symphonic + Choir mad version hehe. The version is so long that I had to cut it in 2 parts, the Choir is in guaraní language, so it works nicely. So... which do you prefer?

Nice song choices for Paraguay.

I like Peace C the best, as you mention, it has slow beggining and picks up after, I really like the relaxing ambience it creates.

and War A, while it calms down a bit after the strong intro, it keeps the tension going throughout the whole piece.

Peace B is nice. It reminds me of the Peruvian peace theme which I love.

I like War A too.

Top Bottom