Paul Krugman meme thread

Chimera Kitty

Warlord
I was looking through images of Paul Krugman for something that I could assemble into an image macro, and stumbled upon this:

For those of you who don't know, Krugman said "Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble" in 2002 (paraphrasing Paul McCulley), and this quote catapulted him to notoriety when the housing bubble collapsed. When asked about it, he of course backpedaled, claiming that he was not "advocating" a bubble, just pointing out that it was the only way for the Federal Reserve to fix the recession :rolleyes:

Anyway... yeah. Create your own, post them here, and maybe have a jolly old debate about who to blame for the recession.

I blame Ayn Rand and the band Rush for the recession. In fact, let's just call it the Rushession.

So it was "paraphrased". Meaning it was not something Krugman said, but rather something someone lied and claimed that Krugman said.

Okay, here's one that I made:

So it was "paraphrased". Meaning it was not something Krugman said, but rather something someone lied and claimed that Krugman said.

No, meaning that Krugman was paraphrasing McCulley.

Herp derp.

Usually image macros are funny and shine a light on a common experience we have that not many people even think about.

Or there's puns. Try and come up with a Krugman pun or something.

No, meaning that Krugman was paraphrasing McCulley.

So Krugman paraphrased McCulley?

That's not what your OP reads.

And if he paraphrased McCully, how does that make him culpable for the recession?

Lemme guess, does your answer to the last sentence rhyme with
Shmold Dandard?

So Krugman paraphrased McCulley?

That's not what your OP reads.

Regardless of how you read it, that's what it says.

And if he paraphrased McCully, how does that make him culpable for the recession?

He makes a nice poster boy for the entire school of thought that agreed with him.

And what did Krugman actually say? In context.

He actually said "Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble", which just happen to be the exact words that I attributed to him. Go figure.

Perhaps you instead meant to ask what McCulley said?

Paul McCulley said:
There is room for the Fed to create a bubble in housing prices, if necessary, to sustain American hedonism. And I think the Fed has the will to do so, even though political correctness would demand that Mr. Greenspan deny any such thing.

MEMES MAKE MY POLITICAL OPINIONS MORE CORRECT.

I'll edit it into an inane picture later because political discourse should happen on the level of an image board whose name is banned here for inexplicable reasons.

Regardless of how you read it, that's what it says.
Ever heard the phrase 'what the author intended doesn't matter'?

What something reads as to the audience is what it is, regardless of what you meant by it. You were confusing and contradictory.

So clear that up - otherwise no one knows what the heck you meant.

Thanks for the link; I watched it because I expected a curbstomb and I was not disappointed. If you really think Paul "owned" anyone there you just know as little about economics as he does. His argument collapsed under his insane concoction of baseless assertions, wishful thinking and a hilariously wrong understanding of history, up to the Diocletian strawman and the Friedman reference that flew right back into his face. Seriously, Paul should only stick his fingers into things he was educated to stick them in, and that sure ain't economics.

Yes, they're both Paul. The video we were talking about mentions that pretty prominently, right at the beginning even. Maybe you should watch it before engaging in the snark?

By the way, we don't know each other, so maybe you shouldn't call me "Leo". Unless you're the sock puppet of someone I do know.

To be fair Krugman hasn't been the brightest bulb around either. His keynesianism is a fix for an intrinsically broken system. But as Keynes said on the long run we're all dead anyway. That's why the people in power are always looking for a quick patch first and foremost. Greenspan did indeed patch over the 2001 recession with a housing bubble. Krugman proposes that this recession be patched over by increasing public spending.

It's not that simple, though: the comparison most often made is with the Great Depression but it did not really work during the great depression. It only patched things over between 1933-40. Then WW2, much higher spending and (this is tremendously important!) much higher taxes and price and trade restrictions finally solved the chronic problems of unemployment and underuse of capital equipment. You know why there is still no agreement on what ended the Great Depression? Because it was chance, not some rational strategy. The rational, deliberate, technical strategies - manipulating currencies, manipulation the price of gold, increasing public spending - either failed spectacularly or just contained the situation of the bad level it had arrived at. It was the forced savings of the wartime period (rationing) that ultimately "recapitalized" the lower class; the price controls of the wartime that limited the profits/rents and thus broke the accumulation tendency of the wealthy class. It was the taxes that were raised and remained high (and very progressive) after the war that made the reduction of accumulated wartime state debts a tool of wealth redistribution. The legacy of this lasted until the 1970s/80s, when such redistribution was gradually abandoned. The results of that inversion were not immediate, but they're arrived!

It's not enough for the state to spend, resolving a worldwide Depression in a capitalist system requires a redistribution of wealth. That means the state must also collect, and collect essentially from the wealthy. And to do that capitalism must be at least temporarily "suspended". The reason why this is so is easy to understand: capitalism's driving force is the accumulation of wealth. More accurately, the concentration of wealth. The tenets of capitalist management call not for an increase of the "overall pie of wealth" and with it a company's profits; but for an increase in the relative share of the pie captured by the company. The current expression "outperforming the market" betrays this mind frame, but the thinking was always so. The "austrian economists" (Schumpeter and all) actually expressed this better than the other schools, but they all implicitly admit it. Thus his "creative destruction": for some "entrepreneur" to accumulate, someone else must go bust in the same relative degree. The austrian's solution is for businesses (and their owners) to go bust periodically. The problem is that this has the unfortunate tendency to be neither swift not painless to the employees...

What happens in the Expansion years of the economy? The value of the assets held by the "entrepreneurs" expands, motivating reinvestment of their profits/rents. Everyone seems to be better of. In reality the relative improvement of the position of these entrepreneurs means that they're getting a larger share of the pie by value, though not by consumption. Think house prices going up while everyone who wants to buy one can so so by taking a bank loan. Wealth is getting concentrated, but consumption is still widespread. Same model for stock prices or indeed the value of any other fixed asset. Everyone is happy... until some event causes "confidence" to fall restricting trades of assets between the (now more) wealthy entrepreneurs. Then the prices of those things plummet. Materially they could just write off losses and carry on, they still own the capital goods, it's just that they're nominally worth less. But capitalism's rules, accounting rules, social prestige and precedence rules, don't "allow" that: acknowledging losses would be a loss of face, or influence. To some who speculated too much and took too many risks, complete ruin. So you get a Depression. Funny how simple the whole thing really is. The reason why the more orthodox political speech and economic theory makes it look complicated is because the ruling classes, who always happen to be the people with their hands of the big portions of the pie, don't want the critical issue to be highlighted: the accumulation of wealth. Because once that is recognized the fix becomes obvious: confiscate and redistribute a major portion of that wealth, by whatever means (inflation, taxation or indeed outright confiscation). Which, were it done equitatively, might not even impact greatly on their consumption and lifestyle, but makes them individually fear for their social standing... :rolleyes:

So we get the servants of the status quo, like Keynes in the 1930s and Krugman now, prescribing either monetarist recipes that exclude inflation (the tradition up to the Great Depression, and later in the 80s); or keynesian policies that simply seek to create yet another debt bubble (the ultimate bubble), new state debt to "restart" the economy. This did not work during the Great Depression. And did not work in Japan more recently. It just kicks the can down the road. Which was what, after all, we could choose to read as a confession by Keynes on that quote of his about how we're all dead in the long term...

Tell me more how insanely high tax rates killed the explosive growth of the 50's and 60's.

Top Bottom