1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul's Standard Earth Alpha v1.2.2

Standard Sized Earth Map with Roughly True Start Locations

1. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

P-Dubya submitted a new resource:

Paul's Standard Earth - Standard Sized Earth Map with Roughly True Start Locations (now available in MULTIPLAYER)

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Nice job. ;)

P-Dubya likes this.
  3. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

You're welcome. I've never actually made a map myself, but edited a few, so I know the amount of work that goes into making one from scratch.

5. The Economy

The Economy Chieftain

Great map! Exactly what I've been looking for so thanks for this.

But is there a way to increase the number of civs? I used the option 'huge', picked 12 civs but in the game there were only 8 present. It looks like 4 civs were randomly deleted.

P-Dubya likes this.
  6. The Economy

The Economy Chieftain

Also, after playing for a couple of hours, there's not a single city-state on my map. I don't use any other mods.

P-Dubya likes this.
  7. Enlightened Fox

Enlightened Fox Civ 6 Addict - TB Mod Collaborator

Man after all your work it is built into the game?! Maybe make you attempt unique in some way?

P-Dubya likes this.
  8. The Economy

The Economy Chieftain

The new Earth map that came with the update doesn't actually have TSL for some reason. This one has.

P-Dubya likes this.
  9. TimTurry

TimTurry Chieftain

I love me another (smaller) earth map, so thanks!
    I have a suggestion however. With regards to Panama and Suez. I think the correct move there is to make them land hexes. This allows army access (like in real life), and also allows you to build a city on the hex, which allows ships to pass through (like in real life, after building the canal). You didn't mention it, but Istanbul should also be a 1-hex land connector that connects modern Turkey to Europe.
    Best of luck to getting huts.

P-Dubya likes this.
  10. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

Thanks for your compliments, reporting your problem, and for checking out my map. So far, I've been able to get more or less Civs just by changing the map size. But I'll be sure to look into this and see what I can do. I want to make this map mod as enjoyable and easy-to-use as possible. This kind of information is exactly what I need to make the map just that.

Yeah that's on me. Last night, after the Update, I immediately tested my map and noticed that while TSL works for all civs, no city states are appearing anymore. I've tried a couple of potential quick-fixes last night, but no dice. At this moment, getting City-States to start working in the game again is my new top priority. I apologize, Economy, and I'll make sure to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

New Earth map came with the update? I missed that. I'll have to take a gander at that one.

Admittedly Europe, Asia, and especially Asia Minor needs to be shaped more accurately. In fact, that was the first region of the world I planned to work, so that Africa sets in a more accurate location, and Eastern Europe and it's seas more accurately shaped. I'll be sure to pay this area of the world more attention when I figure out how to get City States working in the game again.

With regards to the Suez and Panama Canal, I believe what I'll do is release a map with the Canals open and one with the canals closed, because a lot of people prefer one or the other so strongly. My dad hates playing Earth Maps where those canals are closed so that's what I went with to start. And cities can certainly serve as canals, but I don't think that even an ally's armies can occupy or pass through your cities, making the canals solely one player's unshareable territory if true. But, I digress. I'll make both map types available because there's good points for both.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  11. Mikko Mikalsen

Mikko Mikalsen Chieftain

Great work with the worldmap, but Im getting the same errors here...... Civs are falling out. It worked yesterday, but today many civs and the citystates are gone. Tried three times today..... I noticed this happened after I installed the Vikings scenario. Maybe something to do with that? Do you think it will help to delete and install again?

P-Dubya likes this.
  12. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

P-Dubya updated Paul's Standard Earth with a new update entry:

Paul's Standard Earth Alpha v1.1

Read the rest of this update entry...

This update should straighten out issues with Civs or City-States not appearing or dropping out. If anyone still has any issues with this map, please let me know ASAP.

Yeah I have the worst timing in the world it seems. I finally get around to making an Earth map and BAM literally a couple days later Firaxis comes out with their own. But, as The Economy said, this map has TSL for Civs. Plus, mine has many more resources, and you (ideally) should be able to play with more or less than the Standard 8 Civs if you prefer.

And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Firaxis to come out with a TSL earth. They may, eventually, but it'll have to be huge. The Standard Earth map Firaxis added to Civ 6 is scaled more accurately than mine, however that means TSL isn't possible due to how small Europe is, and how many European Civs are in the game.

And finally, I intend to continually work toward improving this map. The Firaxis Standard Earth will probably remain the same from here on.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  13. The Economy

The Economy Chieftain

No worries! Take your time. It looks like you already updated so I will definitely try this out.

Regarding the new Firaxis Earth map, yours is MUCH better. Your map looks nicer and the proportions seem more natural.
    Also, the Firaxis one has no TSL and it only allows 8 civs, which is just not enough for me.

So if your map now allows more than 8 playable civs and the city-states work, then this will be my go-to Earth map from now on.

Thanks for the great work!

edit: I was wondering, what would be the maximum number of civs on this map?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    P-Dubya likes this.
  14. Enlightened Fox

Enlightened Fox Civ 6 Addict - TB Mod Collaborator

It looks great but I only play on super large maps. Excellent work though really good job ;)

P-Dubya likes this.
  15. TimTurry

TimTurry Chieftain

Thanks. Looking forward to it. I don't do much renaming. But when I create Panama, Suez, and Istanbul, I make a point to remain them on TSL Earth maps. It is a "personal achievement" of mine to turn these into canals in games. This of course means I have to kill/destroy/raze any civ or city-state that is withing 4 hexes of that tile (sorry Jerusalem). :)

P-Dubya likes this.
  16. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

Thanks, Economy. Currently the max number of civs is whatever the Huge size allows. If I'm right, these are the number of civs per map size:

Duel: 40 x 25 (2 players, 4 city-states, 2 natural wonders)
    Tiny: 56 x 36 (4 players, 8 city-states, 3 natural wonders)
    Small: 66 x 42 (6 players, 12 city-states, 3 natural wonders)
    Standard: 80 x 52 (8 players, 16 city-states, 4 natural wonders)
    Large: 104 x 64 (10 players, 20 city-states, 6 natural wonders)
    Huge: 128 x 80 (12 players, 24 city-states, 7 natural wonders)

As my understanding of scripting improves I'll try to make it possible to simply add the number of civs you want without having to use the Map Size, like in Gedemon's YNAMP.

Thanks, Fox. I'd probably play the super large Earth maps too if my computer could handle it because Gedemon really did a great job on his maps. But I'm limited to Standard size or less at this point unfortunately. Thanks again for the compliments though :)

Yeah man same here. If I play a map with the canals closed and I'm in Europe, Africa, or the Middle East, I always make the Suez Canal, and if I'm in North or South America, I always make the Panama Canal. Far too strategically valuable not to make those canals. It shouldn't take me but a couple of minutes to close up those canals so I'll around to it tonight and release a map. I'll try to make my mod where you can choose either map from the Advanced Setup Screen, but if I can't I'll just post it as an attachment in the OP for the time being.

Thanks again to everyone checking out my map and providing feedback. It is MUCH appreciated :)

---------------------------------------------
    EDIT:

I tested out the map on all the different world sizes, and apparently the Firaxis Update somehow capped the maximum number of possible Civs at 8, so playing on a world size larger than Standard will do absolutely nothing different. The description of this Map Mod has been changed to reflect that new issue.

So you can have less civs than 8 if you want, but no longer more than 8. And I know increasing the world size worked before the Update, because I checked a save where I played the Vikings and there are 10 Civilizations total.

I'll be working to fix this for the next update. It's not urgent and game-breaking, so I'll put the changes in a later update (so you guys aren't downloading a new update every couple of days)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  17. Mikko Mikalsen

Mikko Mikalsen Chieftain

So you can have less civs than 8 if you want, but no longer more than 8. And I know increasing the world size worked before the Update, because I checked a save where I played the Vikings and there are 10 Civilizations total.

I'll be working to fix this for the next update. It's not urgent and game-breaking, so I'll put the changes in a later update (so you guys aren't downloading a new update every couple of days)[/QUOTE]

I tried yesterday with the new update, and yes there was only possible with 8 civs. Looking forward to play with ALL civs, and also with the citystates at accurate positions. Now ex. Stockholm is in eastern Russia and so on :D I will take a break until everything is sorted out, since this is annoying for me to play. Dont misunderstand me, I really like this map and appreciate your work, but for me it needs an upgrade to be satisfying.

P-Dubya likes this.
  18. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

I don't think I can put all the City-States in their TSLs due to the size of the map, so some City-States will always be deliberately in inaccurate locations. But I'll release one more mod within a week, and big news: I GOT THE MAP TO WORK IN MULTIPLAYER. So with the next update will come the ability to play this map online. Keep you eyes peeled :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Mikko Mikalsen likes this.
  19. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

You could create an alternate version that requires the Viking DLC (particularly the new city states and natural wonders).

That would make yours much better than whatever Firaxis made. And I didn't even mention TSL and plentiful resources.

Goody Huts should show up in your version, as the Firaxis version for some reason doesn't have them, even with Goody Huts turned on.

P-Dubya likes this.
  20. P-Dubya

P-Dubya Chieftain

Thanks! I'll keep your suggestions in mind as I prepare the next version. I may go ahead and put out 1.2 sometime today because being able to play the map online is a pretty big deal. But I'll mess around with the Natural Wonders and see if I can get the Goody Huts to randomly generate like they're supposed to. Most importantly I gotta get the map to where we can play with 9 or more Civs at a time (That might be 1.3 or later though). But for 1.2 I'll at least have a multiplayer version available today.

Take care and merry Christmas eve :)

---------------------
    BTW about City-States, I wanted to elaborate; I'll end up moving some city-states around (the ones that aren't TSL, that is) to offer more balance to the game, and in the end I'm hoping to have a script put together so that city states spawn in their actual location if no Civ starts nearby. Admittedly that'll take me a while I think, maybe a month or so. There's still a lot for me to learn, but I'm figuring it out. And if you want to wait it out until I can do that stuff, then I can't blame you. I really do have my work cut out for me, lots of wrinkles to iron out for sure. Just be sure check this Map out again. Especially after maybe a month it should be in pretty good shape. And thanks again for your input :) It goes a long way in helping to make this map better.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Mikko Mikalsen likes this.