1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pax Americana, truth or fiction?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Farm Boy, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

It seems there's interest in discussing this one so here we go.

Is Pax Americana real? Is it just a clever lie that would be more accurately attributed to the glory of Downtown?

If Pax Americana is real, is it worth it? Does that answer change depending on if you are a resident of the USA or a member nation of the USA's nuclear umbrella? A developing or third world nation?

Your thoughts please!

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Goddamn you for finally starting this thread when I literally have 5 minutes to class and an extremely busy week. You sonofa-

:mad:

3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

All planned.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You. Bad Person. You.

short answer to OP
    Yes

5. Muhammed

Muhammed Warlord

The reason the world is relatively peacefull atm is american unipolarity(/american military dominance)

I fear this will turn out to be a short chapter in history :(

6. ace99

ace99 Deity

The Syrians love our Pax.

7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

Doesn't really work that way under the theory. Civil wars kinda being their own thing. Unless you would like to make the argument that American military dominance increases civil war in general, or caused this one in particular?

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The term seems to mean a bunch of different things.

Which meaning in particular are you after?

9. ace99

ace99 Deity

I think there's something to be said for that. But an even better and more direct example would be Mali.

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

Let's go broad. The theory that the global "relative peace" of the past ~50 years or so has happened because of American nuclear and conventional arms dominance successfully deterring(for the most part) military adventurism/wars of conquest particularly amongst other major powers.

11. ace99

ace99 Deity

I think you're going too far back. American military dominance as we now enjoy it has been since after the fall of the Soviet Union.

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

Well, the counter arguments I usually read are that MAD counterbalance was in play deterring full scale war between global powers at that stage, particularly in the period where the US had nukes and decided not to use them Patton-style on the USSR. If you feel the 1945-1990ish period would be better labeled as the triumphant success of nuclear weaponry or the USSR, go for it, just break it down for us! :)

13. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

I believed it and supported it up to 2001, after that less and less every year.

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Hasn't stopped proxy wars nor direct conventional engagements or armed interventions of every stripe during the time period in question. I think Pax Anything is kind of a misnomer, though, so I might be an outlier.

15. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Well, my cursory reading of the term highlighted the importance of the relative nature of the peace. There can still be war and violence, its just not nearly as common nor bloody as before the Pax.

I'm not sure how true that rings for the period labeled Pax Americana, though.

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

If anything, I think the Pax Americana has seen a marked increase in the number of American military interventions, at least outside the traditional areas where they have been (i.e. Latin America). If anything, the term implies the USA is enforcing the peace through military or covert means, not that the world is any more or less peaceful.

17. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

How do the number of American interventions compare to the number of conventional wars before the Pax?

18. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

Scale of conflict also probably needs addressed.

19. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Pax Americana? Tricky thing.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Thos is ab important point I feel.

I also think the Soviets get some credit for lly he relative stability of,the cold war.