1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pax Americana, truth or fiction?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Farm Boy, Apr 22, 2013.

1. lovett

lovett Deity

Well, are you sure about that? What basis do you have for this conviction?

University departments around the world disagree with you. Although political scientists are acutely aware of problems of incomparability and of small n, there is a thriving body of quantitative research in the field. Some very clever people use the best practices from econometrics to assess the statistical confidence in their results and are certainly not blind to the problems of their field. Often ingenious studies can largely bypass these problems. I recently read a study probing the link between democratic consolidation and inequality. It used 19th century Germany's extensive constituency-by-constiuency record of elections contested on the grounds of fraud (974 between 1890 and 1912) and concurrent census data on landholding inequality to provide and excellent quantitative case study to evidence such a link. This supplements trans-national studies of similar vein and is part of a growing body of evidence in this area.

I suppose all this could be fundamentally misguided, but I highly doubt it. Certainly, unless one is intimately acquainted with the field I do not know how one could be confident that it were...

2. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

That's somewhat different, because there's only one party in the picture - you could use a similar case to demonstrate that advanced democracies are unlikely to participate in wars, but it becomes a lot more difficult when you try to talk about going to war against each other. By the time you made sure that the data points were valid and the variables controlled, you simply wouldn't have enough to draw a meaningful conclusion: 'advanced democracy' hasn't been around long enough or in sufficient quantity to allow that. Give it another few centuries and you might have a better case.