PAX coverage from Destructoid

Well that's a definitive confirmation of the suspected CN Tower :)
(So that's one more world wonder to go. Or two if the great firewall is a ntional wonder)

Well that's a definitive confirmation of the suspected CN Tower :)

I wonder what the benefit of the CN Tower will be.

(So that's one more world wonder to go. Or two if the great firewall is a ntional wonder)

Somewhat off-topic, but I will never understand what possessed them to add the Great Firewall. It seems rather bizarre that presumably civilisations of any alignment, whether Freedom or Autocracy, will presumably see a benefit as well.

Somewhat off-topic, but I will never understand what possessed them to add the Great Firewall. It seems rather bizarre that presumably civilisations of any alignment, whether Freedom or Autocracy, will presumably see a benefit as well.
From what I heard it block enemy espionage, so I can definitely see the advantage, regardless of policies.

From what I heard it block enemy espionage, so I can definitely see the advantage, regardless of policies.

The Great Firewall seems to be in the line of the Giant Death Robot. Added mostly because it's supposed to be funny.

Blocking spionage seems like a powerfull advantage though.

I was referring mainly to the fact that the rest of the wonders are legitimately good things, whether for scientific, technological or artistic reasons. They are the great works of art and triumphs of human civilisation.

The Great Firewall is a panic stricken authoritarian government's attempt to oppress their people. Not of the same calibre as Stonehenge or the Temple of Artemis.

It makes sense that the effect that they have chosen would impact players of all stripes within the game. It is the choice of the Great Firewall itself that is strange; regardless, the real enterprise has little to do with enemy espionage and a lot more to do with a fear of the Chinese people and a desire to prevent revolt.

It is a pity that they did not select a different object or endeavour to provide the benefit.

I was referring mainly to the fact that the rest of the wonders are legitimately good things, whether for scientific, technological or artistic reasons. They are the great works of art and triumphs of human civilisation.
What about the Pentagon, the Manhattan Project, the Kremlin, the Great Wall, Himeji castle? All things not build for good, but for evil (war mostly)

I can't see why wonders should be 'good things'. A wonder should be an impressive thing, not perse a good thing (which is also highly subjective).

What about the Pentagon, the Manhattan Project, the Kremlin, the Great Wall, Himeji castle? All things not build for good, but for evil (war mostly)

I can't see why wonders should be 'good things'. A wonder should be an impressive thing, not perse a good thing (which is also highly subjective).

I don't mind that personally. But I do hope it is a project and not an actual wonder (has that been confirmed yet?).

I realise that there's likely to be disagreement about this, but I'd probably claim all of your examples as good things, albeit with varying degrees.

The Pentagon and Manhattan Project are examples of democracies defending themselves; in fact they were both built to prosecute World War II - it is hard to find a more moral purpose in human history.

The Great Wall is an example of undemocratic civilisation, within a generally undemocratic world at that time, defending itself; as is the Himeji Castle. I'd probably claim the latter as a work as art as well.

All societies have to defend themselves and keep order and the fact that it is a military project does not have to place it in a 'bad' category. The inclusion of the Great Firewall is not so much an annoyance-inducing thing as a disappointment-inducing one.

I am glad that they are bringing more later wonders with the expansion, however; that's most welcome. It branches out somewhat from the purpose of this thread, but if Hubble is also in then that's excellent.

"Empire of Smoky Eyes" scenario, hmm... :crazyeye:

By the way, who's the male leader on the last screen shot? My guess is that he represents Ethiopia.

It's Haile Selassie of Ethiopia. He was featured in the demo.

Interesting screenshot. The unit info panel is in the new G&K style, where the demo at PAX had it in the vanilla style. But it is from the same savegame.

Machine Gun is available at Ballistics, a new tech.

The panel is just large icons (which makes for a better screenshot). I think you can do that now.

Machine Gun is available at Ballistics, a new tech.
Not entirely new, the sound files are already present in the vanilla files. So it probably already was in the game, but was scrapped at a later moment (somewhere before release).

Edit:
For instance, [Steam folder]\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\Sounds\Speech\English\Tech\TechBallistics.mp3

The new wonder is going to be the 401? What does it do, reduce happiness on weekends? :lol:

As someone who needs take it during weekdays from time to time, it is not a problem relegated to only weekends :lol:

For the CN Tower I'm going to guess culture, happiness, possibly some science. Even with the expanded late game, it will still be later than many wonders so it will probably be fairly powerful. Really it could be anything... gold, % great people points, the only things that would be kind of weird would be apples and hammers.

The following line is interesting, regarded the uniqueness of city states luxuries:
[...] mercantile cities will add two new luxury items that can only be gained from city states.
I wonder if that's accurate or not.

We know of two, we don't know if there are more. It's possible they'll only add two. It might be better for balance this way.

Top Bottom