1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pb file refuses to be deleted

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by LouLong, Oct 10, 2003.

1. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

Hi,

I am usually not in these parts of the forums because I would not be really useful but now I need help.

My cousin came over lastweek-end and wanted to show me something so he started to download a file (that proved very big). We left the computer for a while since it was so slow and the downloading was cut in-between.
    He then tried to open the file which immediately used 99% of my CPU resources forcing me to close the Windows explorer.
    Since then I have been trying to download the incomplete but still around 120 MB file but as soon as I click on it it starts using up my resources and it refuses to be deleted, saying some program or someone else is still using it (no idea which one since everything seems closed).
    Any idea how I can force delete this file. I have tried from another admin account but that failed miserably too !

Please help ! :worship:

2. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

not actually sure what a pb file actually is.

anyway, are you running a program to download it? something like kazaa or getright or anything like that? you may need to cancel the download there before you can delete it. before deleting it, you should probably find out what it is and what it does.

otherwise, you could try deleting it in DOS mode (assuming you're using windows). if you give detail of the operating system and any programs you're using at the time (ie downloading programs or anything) i might be of more help.

3. LouLong

I am using XP family edition.
    And he installed something before downloading it. It was not Kazaa (I usually stay away from that) but it might have been the same kind of stuff.
    LineWire I believe. But I saw that afterwards and I have already deleted this program. = too late to cancel :(

Any other infos needed ?

And Thanks !

4. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

DOS mode. Or even Windows SAFE mode should be enough. The real problem is though that you have some application running in the background which is trying to access that file.

When you boot your comp, press F8 (sometimes also F10 or Ctrl) as soon as you enter the second boot screen (where it usually switches to the XP welcome screen). Then you can select command line mode or safe mode. Find the file and delete it (del file.ext, use whatever it´s name is).

But IMO more importantly is to find that running process. You could search the registry manually, but that can be critical if you don´t know what you are doing.
    Best is to use START->RUN->"msconfig" . And hit enter. There you have several tabs of what is loaded during Windows boot. The process you are looking for is usually in the last tab, "System Start" or something. There you should look for an entry that seems familiar with the program your friend installed. You can simply deactivate it first, forcing you to reboot. If you can then delete the file, you can delete that entry as well, which requires you to use "regedit" and finding it in your registry. The key is written as the path in the msconfig tab.
    :D

5. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

XP is more difficult because I don't think it has a boot in dos mode function anywhere. So if it's a file that is allegedly being used in windows there isn't an easy solution. Also windows error messages are usually very uninformative so we probably can't tell which program is using it.

Try what Lucky says about the config, if you can understand it. Otherwise I'd say let the program download and then delete it. (do you know what it is, and how much is left to download?) I know this option would probably be annoying but may be the only way to remove it.

EDIT: Also check the little status bar down in the bottom right corner as some programs still are open, although they appear closed with no window in the task bar. You might find a relevant program there that you can stop, and then delete the file.

6. LouLong

Sorry, just thought I let you know how I "sorted" things out.
    Since no other stuff worked, I just destroyed the account and recreated it.

Now I have one small pb. Computer is slow now and every time I check the task manager it appears UC is used kind of 80-90% all in red and it peaks up sometimes and shows some red (which it never did before). Wonder if the file is still kind of active on the back, whether my RAM is low (it actually is, but I mean really too low) and why it has changed recently. Maybe I will do a clean reinstall because I am starting to get worried about a possible virus.
    Any idea ?

BTW I discovered a C/Windows/Drivercache/I386/Driver cab file of 70+ MO. Is that normal ?

Sorry if my questions sound stupid.

BTW, strange that only 2 answers show in this thread :confused:

7. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

yeah there was a weird period in the forums and the last post info wasn't updated.

and i have driver.cab which is ~70MB so i'd say it's normal.

8. LouLong

Tanks ! and the red UC ?
    I have just realized yesterday night that the fan is actually quite silent, might it be a heat pb ?
    Would I need to change the fan or can I just repair it in a certain way if it is responsible ?

9. Hurricane

Hurricane Sleeping Dragon

If the fan isn't working at all, you need to change ASAP. Don't ever turn on a computer with a broken fan, because that could destroy your whole computer.

That said, fans usually start sounding strange and loud before they break, and since you apparently can use the computer, it seems to work at least a bit. Try opening the case to your computer, turn it on, and see if all fans are running.

You can't repair a bad fan, they must be replaced with new ones.

10. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

Restart the computer with a system disk. That's the closest thing to actual DOS for windows ME and beyond.