PBEM Minor League (2010)

Off course Brazil denies all the ridiculous terrorist accusations!

The question is now: where will we strike and will the Brazilian's be able to defend themselves? :scan:
Wrong question!!! The real question is now: when will Africa strike? Can Africa strike fast enough?
Hint: if you do have some sort of secret weapon, the time to launch it is now! Now or... never! :yeah:

Spoiler :
It's funny to see how Brazil changed. In the beginning was a naive nation, strongly against nuclear weapons and a sponsor of a war against terrorism. It was bullied by UK and suffered a lot at the hands of expert British spies.

Now... Brazil is indeed a terrorist, using all spying capabilities at it's disposal. And not a bit afraid of pressing the nuclear launch buttons... over and over again...

The bullied became the bully! :evil:

1 turn... 1 turn and the new bully on the block will win!

Japan announces that our clean up crew has arrived in Sydney to commence nuclear fallout clean-up operations.

1 turn... 1 turn and the new bully on the block will win![/SPOILER]

Civ4ScreenShot0310.JPG

hhmm... well it appears that 1 turn has already happened. By my screen here it appears Brazil has already won!

And as I said all along - I said you would win 10+ turns ago. Even if I launched all my nukes and invaded and burned 3 cities last turn, it wouldn't have mattered, that doesn't take your gold away...

Congrats Luthor on a hard fought victory!

We did not defined the details of the Economical victory but, in order to be aligned with other victory conditions, I would propose that the winner should be declared as such when he starts his turn with > 100 000:gold:

So, I've started my turn with less than gold than the target one. Therefore, I still need to receive a turn where I start with more than 100K of gold before I can enjoy my victory!

AFAIK, the only way you could stop me would be with spies…. or if I missed some sort of Naval Transport near my shores. The latter one would be difficult (I hope) but spies could delay\stop me from winning the game.

P.S. Your screenshot seems to confirm what I aimed for - you are without uranium supply! :D

Hmm ok, well... I don't have any transports near your shores, and like I said - even if I nuked you to oblivion and invaded and took 3 cities, that won't stop you from winning next turn.

So I will play the turn, but the congratulations still stands.

And yes, you took my uranium supply, but only temporarily. Not that it matters though.

even if I nuked you to oblivion and invaded and took 3 cities, that won't stop you from winning next turn.
Are you sure about this? When you conquer a city you get get money, so doesn't the guy that loses the city also loses money? I always thought so but never tested... so I'm not really sure. But I always assumed so. And that is why I got rid of all the Pacific Islands that could somehow be possible target of invasions.

So I will play the turn, but the congratulations still stands.
"Do not sell the bear skin before you hunt it". So, following the spirit of this "rule" - even though I do appreciate your words - I will not say "Thank you" until it is official.

As far as I can determine you have your 100,000+ gold for the economic victory.

Congratulations.

VICTORY!!!

13 Years... 13 years of building, pillaging, suffering the horrors of nuclear war, destroying, killing, learning about Special Ops abilities, finding out the spies hidden abilities, collecting money, declaring war, launching nukes, re-building Minor Wonders... after 13 years of all that... victory! :woohoo:

Thank you Nighthawk and Hercules! I was expecting some sort of 'last minute' plan but it never arrived.

There are games that I play to win, others just to have fun. And this was one of the latter. But then there was the war with UK. Even though Brazil won, it's economy was shattered. I started gathering money for two reasons:
1 - Wanted to make a reserve 'fund' for future situations (being militarly attacked)
2 - Planned to hurry some minor Wonders that had been vaporized in the War

So... I started acumulating money for that purpose. It was only when someone (Nighthawk?) asked if I was acumulating money for the economic victory that I looked at that possiblity. I had about 40 000:gold: and I realized that I could gather around 2K\turn. That would be around 30turns... 30turns isn't that much, I thought. After some indecision, I decided to start playing to win.

So, I started acumulating money. Tried to be as low profile as I could, even though that amount of money stands out. At some point, partially bored with doing nothing apart from accumulating money, I started being nasty and using the full potential of spies. As I expected that you guys would came up with some sort of plan to stop me from winning, I decided to strike first (using spies). Off course I knew that you would soon figure out who was behind all the spies, but I decided to do that anyway.

The cold war with Australia began (Australia slowly started to increase it's spying until it reached 1 200 spying points EVERY turn). Their expansion in the Pacific lead them being unconfortably close to my shores. Not to mention that Australia had some Nuclear Submarines near Patagonia, surely ready to act :nuke:

So I striked militarly first to gain the upperhand. The long term was not in my favour so I needed to get time to reach my goal. My biggest Military investment had always been the Navy so that I had to repel any invasion in the sea as in land I probably would be in a disadvantage. So I tried to gain territory (islands) as this would lead to any Aussie counter-attack to take longer to reach South America.

I became very confident of my victory in the end of 2024. Until I realized that there is a "steal money" spying action!!! :scared:
Me losing cities militarly didn't seem feasible. And the war in the Pacific was going way better than expected. But I thought that "Nighthawk has spies in my territory for sure and he will steal my treasure 1 turn before I win... he's that kind of guy!" :p

But nope. It was even the other way around, as I stole money from the Aussies which helped me winning sooner. Last turn I squeezed every single penny I could from everywhere... until the treasure became a little bit higher than the target.

I do have questions for you guys:
- What was the AFrican Transport carrying when Brazil declared war?
- Was the Australian Transport near the South Pole really carrying workers? Why?

VICTORY!!!

13 Years... 13 years of building, pillaging, suffering the horrors of nuclear war, destroying, killing, learning about Special Ops abilities, finding out the spies hidden abilities, collecting money, declaring war, launching nukes, re-building Minor Wonders... after 13 years of all that... victory! :woohoo:

Thank you Nighthawk and Hercules! I was expecting some sort of 'last minute' plan but it never arrived.

There are games that I play to win, others just to have fun. And this was one of the latter. But then there was the war with UK. Even though Brazil won, it's economy was shattered. I started gathering money for two reasons:
1 - Wanted to make a reserve 'fund' for future situations (being militarly attacked)
2 - Planned to hurry some minor Wonders that had been vaporized in the War

So... I started acumulating money for that purpose. It was only when someone (Nighthawk?) asked if I was acumulating money for the economic victory that I looked at that possiblity. I had about 40 000:gold: and I realized that I could gather around 2K\turn. That would be around 30turns... 30turns isn't that much, I thought. After some indecision, I decided to start playing to win.

So, I started acumulating money. Tried to be as low profile as I could, even though that amount of money stands out. At some point, partially bored with doing nothing apart from accumulating money, I started being nasty and using the full potential of spies. As I expected that you guys would came up with some sort of plan to stop me from winning, I decided to strike first (using spies). Off course I knew that you would soon figure out who was behind all the spies, but I decided to do that anyway.

The cold war with Australia began (Australia slowly started to increase it's spying until it reached 1 200 spying points EVERY turn). Their expansion in the Pacific lead them being unconfortably close to my shores. Not to mention that Australia had some Nuclear Submarines near Patagonia, surely ready to act :nuke:

So I striked militarly first to gain the upperhand. The long term was not in my favour so I needed to get time to reach my goal. My biggest Military investment had always been the Navy so that I had to repel any invasion in the sea as in land I probably would be in a disadvantage. So I tried to gain territory (islands) as this would lead to any Aussie counter-attack to take longer to reach South America.

I became very confident of my victory in the end of 2024. Until I realized that there is a "steal money" spying action!!! :scared:
Me losing cities militarly didn't seem feasible. And the war in the Pacific was going way better than expected. But I thought that "Nighthawk has spies in my territory for sure and he will steal my treasure 1 turn before I win... he's that kind of guy!" :p

But nope. It was even the other way around, as I stole money from the Aussies which helped me winning sooner. Last turn I squeezed every single penny I could from everywhere... until the treasure became a little bit higher than the target.

I do have questions for you guys:
- What was the AFrican Transport carrying when Brazil declared war?
- Was the Australian Transport near the South Pole really carrying workers? Why?

It was carrying 4 spies of course! And the spies were able to disembark within Brazil before you killed the transport, so your actions did nothing to stop me. What stopped me was the incredible amount of spy points we all have accumulated against each other. I sent them there with the plan of stealing your treasury like you had mentioned, well in advance of you winning. Unfortunately, both between the sheer amount of spy points you'd accumulated against me as well as the large amount in your treasury (I guess) I wasn't able to run that mission at all. it literally wasn't an option, even with 5 turns of waiting in a city. I debated using them for other spy missions, but 1 was caught quickly, and I only had 3 on your continent... anything I did wouldn't have helped much. So I let them sit, checking every turn, hoping the steal gold option would show up, but it never did and they were eventually caught. I don't know the exact mechanics behind it as to why it never showed up, but... oh well.

I did have an invasion coming, but you knew about that. And I knew myself I wouldn't land in time to stop you from winning. It wouldn't have mattered even if I did, even with a shattered economy you were close enough to win without difficulty. That's why I mentioned the early congrats many many turns ago! It was clear to me you were winning for the last 30 turns that you tried winning.

I obviously was going for the cultural victory, and had great artists lined up for culture bombs to get me over the hump, so i was closer than everyone thought... until UK's invasion and nukings killed most of my artists. I was stupid to leave them in my main cities, I should have had them in hiding in cities that wouldn't have been a target, but that was my own mistake. It was also a mistake going for any victory that wasn't the economic house victory. With marathon speed, cultural victory takes too long, and the conquest options require beating 4 humans, which is very tough. Economic was only 100,000 gold, which isn't nearly as much as it seems. Should have done that all along.

Regarding kiwitt's request - I have too many PBEM's as it is, so I am fine being finished with this one. But if everyone wanted to play on, I'd be willing. If we did that though, i'd want the game to be purely about being the last man standing... conquest or bust! We all have enough military and interesting locations to make a world war very interesting...

I'll leave it up to you folks to decide if we keep playing. I'm indifferent.

I want to keep playing ... !!!
Off course you want! You are probably the strongest amongst us. :p

As I did play to win there were somethings that I did that I would not do otherwise. I would surely think more about Africa's spying Ultimatum and stop (or reduce) the spying activities.

On the short term I would really prefer to not to play as I'm really busy with work.

But if you guys are really keen on keep playing, I can keep playing. But to do so, I would just request one thing: that we go back 1 turn. Last turn I gave some cities to USA and Europe because of the danger of losing money over them. This is something I would not do if I was playing for the long run.

Also, maybe in order to remove the chance of the Economic victory give all your gold to the USA.

If no one wants to play anymore ... can the players please resign and forward onto the next ... so I can continue the game on my own.

Guys remember that luckily "Economic victory" was a house rule... so there is nothing in-game that will prevent us from continuing with Luthor (or anyone) having well over 100,000 gold.

I'm indifferent about whether we go back a turn or not. Obviously Luthor gifted cities only to achieve the house victory... if he hadn't been going for that victory he would never have gifted the cities. On the other hand, he now has 100,000 gold and has already been called victor once, so losing the cities is a form of punishment for winning... like I said, I can go either way.

What I don't want, however, is to keep playing without Luthor playing as Brazil. That's just silly.

Top Bottom