1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PBEM Olympus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by Luthor_Saxburg, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

The beginning

Cronus sired several children by Rhea: Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Hades, and Poseidon. But he swallowed them all as soon as they were born, since he had learned from Gaia and Uranus that he was destined to be overcome by his own son as he had overthrown his own father—an oracle that Rhea was to hear and avert.

When Zeus was about to be born, Rhea sought Gaia to devise a plan to save him, so that Cronus would get his retribution for his acts against Uranus and his own children. Rhea gave birth to Zeus in Crete, handing Cronus a rock wrapped in swaddling clothes, which he promptly swallowed.After reaching manhood, Zeus forced Cronus to disgorge his siblings in reverse order of swallowing.

After the War of the Titans, Zeus shared the world with his elder brothers, Poseidon and Hades: Zeus got the sky and air, Poseidon the waters, and Hades the world of the dead (the underworld). The master of the skies then built a magical city: Mount Olympus!

The War of the Titans II

Hades
    , tired of has emerged from the Underworld to defy Zeus, his brother!:eek:

The second battle of the Titans had began! Gods, Cyclopes, Dragons, Griffins, Unicorns, Nymphs, Wraiths, Undeads, Trolls, Gnomes, Medusas, Basiliks, Succubus, Wraiths, Mermaids, Manticores and many other foul creatures were involved in this complex war!

The fall of Olympus

The Underworld Master was able to overthrow the Lord of the Skies and took control of the magical Olympus! :evil:

With Zeus fallen, the city of Olympus was not able to hold in thin air, as it did before! And so Olympus fell! Literally! With high speed it came down from the skies only to crash into the ground! There was a very loud bang that has heard everywhere in Kyrll... the only reason that it did not crumble into bits was because it is a magical city.

The challenge

When Gaia heard of the fallen city, she became to worry... Hades was now in control of the underworld and the skies... soon enough hordes of undead became to emerge from the deeps of the earth... she knew that he hated mankind and was set to destroy them.

Unable to interfere directly, she started to look for capable humans enough to defeat Hades. She started to prepare magical weapons to help humans fight against the resentful God.

SETTINGS
    MOD: none (basic Bts)
    Planet: Kryll
    Map: Huge
    Human players: 4
    Game Master: 1
    AI: a few (unknown for now)
    Barbarians: hordes!

VICTORY CONDITIONS
    - To please Gaia by conquering inexpugnable Olympus and becaming a Demi-God
    - To please Hades and destroy all humans, thus being converted into a powerfull Ringwraith
    - To ignore the Gods and building flying machines to escape this wretched world (Space Victory)

HEROES
    01. Richter Scale, the crippled lunatic Engineer
    02. Dionys Biliades, the gorgeous disorganized semi-Dark Elf, loved by men, hated by women
    03. Gaius Palutius, the greedy puritan Leader
    04. Uncle Flower, the beloved rich&naive Hippie

GENERAL HOUSERULES
    - There can be no outside communication (email or similar) of players until they meet each other in the game
    - Giving cities must have a prior approval by the Game Master
    - Humans can not trade techs among themselves
    - Humans can trade techs with the AI (unlikely but allowed)

GOD's RULES
    - God's rules can be "broken" by humans but this may lead to the disliked by the Goddess Gaia, so humans should think twice (or four times?) before they break them...
    - The God's rules are dynamic so you should give indication to your advisors to keep a look out for them.
    - Humans can not give away their location or to show large maps that reveals their position (rule to be altered later on).
    - There will be (subjective) bonuses for good story telling in the threads.

HUMAN RULES -RICHTER
    1. Can not run FREE MARKET
    2. Not public yet
    3. Not public yet
    4. Not public yet

HUMAN RULES - DIONYS
    1. Can not run BUREAUCRACY
    2. Not public yet
    3. Not public yet
    4. Not public yet

HUMAN RULES - GAIUS
    1. Can not run SLAVERY
    2. Not public yet
    3. Not public yet
    4. Not public yet

HUMAN RULES - UNCLE FLOWER POWER

1. Can not run POLICE STATE
    2. Not public yet
    3. Not public yet
    4. Not public yet

QUESTS
    Gaia has decided to communicate indirectly with humans, through their dreams and sometimes using Sages. She is aiming to gradually test the humans giving them quests and rewarding them with magical weapons to defeat evil magical creatures. Slowly, she expects that natural selection will lead to a brave hero that is able to conquer Olympus.

There are different type of Quests in this game. Most of them are public but a few will be private (secret). Completing a Quest will lead to a certain reward, that can be of several types. It can be a small quantity of food to help the journey, it can be a magical weapon to fight magical creatures or it can be something truly overwhelming! Some Quests are generic, which means that everyone that achieves it will be given a prize, but the first one to achieve it will always be given the a better reward. In some cases, the Quests will be specific, which means that there will only be one prize.

Quest 1
    Goal: kill an undead creature
    Type: Generic simple quest
    Reward: small prize (for all)

Quest2
    Goal: not active yet
    Type: Generic Quest
    Reward: relevant reward for all that achieve it (with bonus for the 1st one to achieve it)

Questx
    Goal: not active yet
    Type: MAJOR Specific Quest
    Reward: humungous reward (only for one)

Final note
    To play this game you must have imagination and not take things too literally!
    As this is unmodded I can not create magical weapons, undead creatures, flying carpets, Gods, etc. So we can do this but we have to do like little children and "see" things (as a Berserker called Troll being an actual Troll)

There are certain conventions that we can take for the game:
    Undead= units that are called undead (valid for any other creature)
    Magical Weapons = units with special promotions
    Magical Arrows = units with gunpowder

Details are still being finalized... I ask your patient a little while longer...

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Stalin and Starlight, Stalling a Stallion

:lol: One would think that I´m biting off more than I can chew by joining a new PBEM on an almost weekly basis now, but this is just too rich. Count me in, I still need to make up my character though.

3. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

I second Knoedel thoughts, I must be nearing 20+ games. But I will give our host an option to allow me in this game, I say that because I will on the average play this turn within 24hrs but occasionally 48hrs with a rare 3 day delay, if that is acceptable I would Love to join!

As for a character this is the kind of game I like the most (Role Playing). I have a rather huge imagination.

I hope when you mean barbarian hordes I hope it is rediculus! I would love to play a game where you units have God-Like experience and not just one unit. They act and are far better than Great Generals (I think in addition to this GREAT idea YOU have adding more of a chance to use the BTS promotion system to great lengths would be super exciting!!! Imaging a super unit dying, it would be felt more than a "Shock" Axman

4. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

+1 here. I'll post a back story later this weekend. Need to do some googling first.

5. Calanthian

Calanthian Emperor

I will (most probably) not join.

But maybe just an idea you like:

Give every player a starting warrior/general with 50 exp points.
    Then they can make / design their super unit themselves.

6. Calanthian

Calanthian Emperor

7. Hercules90

Hercules90 Deity

Imp articulated my sentiments. I am willing to give it a go.

Then again maybe not.

8. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

"inexpugnable"
    Wow!! Your concept is EPIC

I still think an over abundance of Barbarians to fight to earn experience and promotions over what the game generates is the way to go. Combat is exciting and rewarding "receiving Great Generals"

Spoiler :
    Nighthawk added xp to a few units in the Earth 1000ad game which jump started players VC

9. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

sigh... you guys always come up with some great ideas. Considering I will be much more available to be playing civ in approximately a week... count me in!

No idea for a character or background or whatever, but I'll come up with something. This reminds me of a civ form of dungeons and dragons, if anyone remembers that.

10. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

My character
    Name will be Richter Scale

His fear is to be under defended during a major campaign and show only moderate governing skills.

His ambition Is to cause collateral damage on an epic scale and simultaneously create massive trade routes that create very happy citizens

During his childhood Richter played on his father's Catapult and one day it launched him into a wall, this caused a break in his leg that never healed properly and when very upset you'd often see him run in circles, well not actually but that is what people would say. Often his temper would get out of hand and others would laugh at him and he would give chase not able to catch them, but this was becoming more and more frequent and Richter began catching them, soon enough he was catching those that picked on him easier and easier.

Richter grew up to be tall dark and handsome despite his limp fathered many children, these children are coincidently coming to age to be positioned as Generals of his Realm.

His first son Morse Code Scale didn't do so well in school, he kept breaking his pencil led tapping it on his paper like a drummer on his drum. When asked to stop he would without argument and simply turn that sheet in as his work. This would cause an argument between himself and his teachers, Morse claimed his work was complete and legible, his teacher argued that what he had turned in was nothing more than dots and dashes and nothing more. Morse offered to explain but was denied the opportunity and was given an incomplete grade.

If any civilization whosoever engages and defeats any of my generals (my sons) will feel the earth quake when I come for you!

Hearing recent stories eluding to the great siege on Olympus upsets him to a point he will be sending all of his Spearmen directly to those Leaders participating, if they don't understand the point he's making, they will indeed feel it Hehe

11. Imp. Knoedel

Now that you mention it, didn't Eclipse once plan on setting up a Fall From Heaven PBEM? Whatever did come out of that?

12. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

It's coming this fall to a PC near you Hehe

(Plug)
    My game is certainly Role Playing with an emphasis on player collaboration towards a common goal without the bonuses of actually being on a team. This is in the hopes that players will find combat and unit management put on a much higher scale and doing so in a much different setting

13. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

I think we need an example character with example traits

Edit
    Please advise if I've not doing this right

14. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

All of my previous posts here have been Updated

15. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Here's mine. Thanks to Luthor for providing me a muse to be able to write something again, even if its short! :)

Dionys Biliades is a 27 year old female raised in an orphanage from a young age. She was born an accident of well to do parents who took advantage of the welfare state and left her at the orphanage when they decided they didn't want another child. She was told about her parents at a young age and has since harbored a deep resentment for them and any concept of government organization and order. As a result she lives her life to destroy the concept of structure and order; she works for chaos and anarchy in the world through all of her deeds.

This does not mean she is evil per se, she is simply against the concepts of organization and order. Even organized evil is bad in her eyes and she would work to stop it. In her mind chaos and anarchy is the best way for the strongest and smartest to survive. She has a hunters eye and is impeccably accurate with a bow and arrow, preferring to attack her foes from afar and by surprise. She can fight in close range with knives, however being a woman has found it more effective to stay back and support a main attack force if possible as she would get overpowered in close range by many (but not most!) men.

She is strikingly beautiful, with long dark hair and mysterious eyes, almost elven looking. Smart as a tack, she knows how to use her looks to her advantage and is a master manipulator of men. She has infiltrated many male dominated organizations in the past, using her looks and brains to manipulate the male leaders to do as she wishes, often bringing down these organizations from the inside out.

She is ultimately a wanderer and a loner, however for her own safety typically finds herself among a small force of fighters, usually as the bed maid of the male leader, whispering her wishes in his ear and getting her way. She has infiltrated large organizations in the past and has the capability of commanding a large army, however her chaotic impulses mean that these armies tend not to far well in battle and she finds herself breaking up the army before they can be of any real use to her, sometimes resulting in whole divisions fighting amongst one another.

She wishes to bring down large organizations/governments and will put up with the beauacracy in small doses, but once again her impulses are her weakness and eventually she will find it hard to keep up the ruse before exposing herself.

She has heard of the opening up of mount Olympus and has started a trek to climb the mountain and gain the top, where she believes she can defeat the gods and chaos will rule over the world.

16. Calanthian

Calanthian Emperor

Well, this would be a character I would love to read a book about..

:worship:

17. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

Whoop whoop Nice!

Hey how smart is a tack anyway?

18. Imp. Knoedel

Just for clarification, about what tech level are we talking in this world for the start? Considering Nighthawk mentioned bows.

Anyhow I'll describe my character within the next hours and can already tell you that (s)he will definitely be obsessed with law and order. That should jump start animosity between my character and Nighthawk's and lead to interesting ideological conflicts.

19. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

haha thank you! When I'm properly motivated I can get some good ideas... keep checking this thread and I'll be sure to update on her status, short-lived as it may be.

lol... good catch, should have been sharp. Though I hear tacks would be very smart if they were sentient beings!

I wasn't sure either and my guess was Luthor would be waiting to hear from us to get a better idea. I can easily change mine from bows and arrows to something more modern if need be, but considering its Olympus, my guess was this would be ancient Greece timeframe, ie. classical age?

Either way, I look forward to hearing about your person Knoedel. You should make it a male obsessed with law and order, so in theory we could have a short-lived alliance before the ultimate blow-up and war!

20. Imp. Knoedel

Gaius Palutius, the unlawful son of a sailor and a small business owner, is only of average physical ability and couldn´t wield a sword to save his life. He doesn´t fare much better with arrow and bow and didn´t touch them again after inadvertently killing his beloved pet tortoise at the age of eight, which traumatized him for years to come. In spite of his shortcomings which would spell certain doom for him against a determined opponent when unguarded, he shows great organizational and strategic talent. While others may be more charismatic than him or have better family connections, his deeds speak for themselves.

Growing up in a medium-sized port town with his mother, few friends and little in the way of fighting skills he was easy pickings for the thieves infesting it. The local guards were of no help, often being bribed and rarely interested in defending the common good. His mother did what she could to provide him with a loving environment but her low position in society coupled with the fact that Gaius' father sailed away and never came back after having heard of her pregnancy made it difficult for her to be there when her son was in need. Gaius came to despise corruption, crime and disloyalty, and promised himself to uphold law and order wherever possible. To that end he left his hometown at the age of 16 and over the next years took control of a small empire to enforce his vision. He also has sympathy for the poor and exploited due to his upbringing, and does his best to ensure that his laws do not favor the wealthy and powerful, which makes him unpopular with the classical aristocracy but beloved by the people.

Order, loyalty and honesty are his prime virtues and for expanding his rule he relies on his tactical skills and cooperation with his allies rather than deception or intrigue. The members of his personal guard are hand-chosen amongst the trustworthiest and most competent of his troops and virtually immune to attempts of bribe or seduction. He is said to be generous and kind to his friends but cruel and unforgiving to his enemies, and has a very low tolerance for criminal and rebel scum.

His goal is to unite the entire world under his banner, not because of lust for power, but because he genuinely believes that everyone will be better off under his rule. After having heard of Olympus he immediately knew what to do...