1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PBEM Reconquista

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by Luthor_Saxburg, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

HISTORY OF THE RECONQUISTA
    In 711, Muslim Moors, mainly North African Berber soldiers with some Arabs, crossed the Strait of Gibraltar and began their conquest of the Christian Visigothic Kingdom of Hispania. After their conquest of the Visigothic kingdom's Iberian territories, the Muslims crossed the Pyrenees and took control of Septimania in 719, the last province of the Visigothic kingdom to be occupied.

The Reconquista was the gradual hostil takeover of the Muslim territories by the Christian kingdoms. It is generally accepted that it started in 718 and ended in 1492, when the last remaining Islamic state in Iberia, the Emirate of Granada, was defeated.

The Scenario starts in 1030, just before the dissolution of the Caliphate of Cordoba. It is based on real history, but it is not fully accurate.

GAME SETTINGS
    Game Version: BtS V3.19 (no MOD)
    Scenario: by Lamabreeder and adapted to MultiPlayer by Luthor
    Start Era: Medieval
    Speed: Epic
    NO City Flipping from Culture
    Aggressive AI
    No Tech Brokering
    Require Complete kills
    No Vassal States
    No Espionage
    Difficulty for humans: Prince\Monarch
    Difficulty for AI: Noble
    Victory Conditions: all except time

RELEVANT NATIONS
    00. Kingdom of Leon
    01. Kingdom of Castille
    02. Kingdom of Navarra - AI
    03. Crown of Aragon
    04. County of Portucal ELIMINATED
    05. Almoravids - AI
    06. Kingdom of France
    08. Caliphate of Cordoba
    11. Taifa of Denia
    12. Taifa of Zaragoza - AI

HUMAN PLAYERS
    Player 00 – Leon: ENDOVELICO
    Player 01 – Castille: HERCULES90
    Player 03 – Aragon: MICHOV
    Player 04 – Portugal: SOHLEKS ELIMINATED
    Player 06 – France: NIGTHAWK419 -> TIGRANES
    Player 08 – Cordoba: CALANTHIAN
    Player 11 – Denia: LUTHOR

GENERAL HOUSE RULES
    - There can be only ONE winner (nations can make alliances but in the end there will be only one winner)
    - Free diplomacy
    - No forced war or peace
    - HouseRules can be changed with a simple majority vote

CORDOBA HOUSE RULES (valid until the year of 1065)
    * The Cordoba player must RETIRE if the majority of humans vote FAVOURABLE for it (anyone can propose it)
    * Cordoba must carry out any game rule aproved by a minimum of 66% of the human players
    * Cordoba can NEVER declare war (except to the RENEGADES)
    * Cordoba can NOT raze cities
    * Cordoba can not research anything more advanced than Guilds until it has researched ALL the other backward Techs
    * Cordoba can not trade Techs (neither with humans or AI)
    * Cordoba can not use siege weapons until the majority of Christians have gundpowder
    * Cordoba can not use siege weapons

GENERAL COMMENTS
    The Caliphate of Cordoba, unlike history, is very strong and poses a real threat to the Christian Reconquista. If there is not a strong alliance against it, it will rule Iberia for a very long time! It is recommended that the human players make a strong alliance against the Caliphate in the beginning of the game, otherwise the Moors of Cordoba will surely prevail and flourish!

In the end "there can be only one"... so players should have a balance between being altruistic enough to prevent a Moor victory and not being too naive at the same time... Will Christians unite? Will history repeat itself? Or will greed make the Northern Kingdom's fail?

2. Luthor_Saxburg

HISTORY OF THE SCENARIO

The once majestic Caliphate of Cordoba had been in trouble for quite some years. They started in 976, when the 10 year old Hisham II became Caliph. He was deposed in 1008 but returned to power in 1010 which he held until 1012. In the next 14 years, the Caliphate had 7 Caliphs, with frequent wars and conflicts, mainly between the Umayyad dynasty and the Hammudid one. During this period several Taifas emerged, trying to break free from the Caliphate bonds. Some resisted and grown, others not.

Hishman III came to power in 1026 and tried to consolidate the huge Caliphate and to regain power (which had slipped away from the Caliph under the rule of young Hisham II) but his decisions to raise taxes made him many enemies...

Recently the Caliph’s Visir (Al-Hakam) has been murdered and Hisham III arrested!!! Now chaos is installed in the huge Caliphate. Different factions have risen with several powerfull men auto claiming themselves Emir... others not so powerfull have also claimed themselves Emir... there was even a slave who proclamed to be Emir of a tiny region.

With the aggravation of the civil war and without no clear leader in sight, many troops have deserted, just leaving their posts and heading home. Even major cities are now undermanned or not garrissoned at all. Even in the majestic city of Cordoba, some bandits (some of them deserters) were able to overcame the Treasure Guard and sacked the gold in it, leaving it empty... armed deserters, renegades and bandits are everywhere. Christian mercenaries that were fighting for Hisham III, have fled after not receiving their pay and became willing to join the Christians... these experienced soldiers could prove to be a difficult thorn to overcame to who ever stands against them...

The Christian Kingdoms that still paid tribute, immediately refused to pay after the Caliph arrest and, in a unparallel unity (until now), they declared war to try and gain territories due to the imminent civil war in the Moorish lands. Taking advantage of the situation, some Taifas have started to raid some moorish territories, going against their own Muslim brothers.

Meanwhile the generals faithfull to Hisham III have given orders to recall the army fighting the Ghana Empire, in Africa. But the destruction of most of the ships in the civil war and the lack of shipbuilders in the land will probably prevent this to be done in a fastly manner.

Despite the recent Christian alliance, the relations between them are not ideal. The Count of Portugal has “forgotten” to pay tribute to Leon in the past years and there are rumors that he does not like to be Count... and that he’d rather be King... The King of Leon is not happy about the situation but the recent rivalry with Castille (and the constant Moorish threat) might not allow him to do anything about it. The rich city of Zaragoza is claimed by Castille, Navarra and Aragon. The fact that the city is under the rule of the Emir of Zaragoza does not stop the Christians constant quarrel over it.

Will Hisham III remain in power? Will a new leader rise? Will Cordoba crumble or be powerfull once again? Will it dissolve and give way to many small Taifas? Will the Christian unity resist? Will Moors keep fighting moors? Will the bandits dissappear or is the fate of Al-Andalus to be ruled by them?

3. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

I'd like to be Aragon

4. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Sure why not, this sounds super interesting... however I really don't know anything about this time period or how I'd even go about playing it, so I will take the Kingdom of France and be above the entire thing ;)

Edit: Oh wait, France is reserved? how come?

5. Endovelico

Endovelico Chieftain

I'd like to be Leeeeoooon. Can I?

6. Luthor_Saxburg

@Nightawk - France is probably the strongest Civ in this PBEM so it was reserved to a far more unexperienced player than yourself... to makes things more balanced...

@Endovelico - yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

7. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Wow! I'll definitely take that as a compliment!! What makes you think I'm so good? Was it my huge defeat at the hands of Russia in Earth 2010 or my complete inaction as USA in Tora?? lol...

I'd like to think I'm alright, but the only human player I've actually ever beaten is a close friend of mine in a 1 v 1 v 16 AI game.

But thats fine... are any of those options civs that are in North Africa?

8. Luthor_Saxburg

Tora - USA couldn't declare war so inaction is just a result of you being compliant with the houserules!

Today - so you lost against a far superior military power! Big deal. OK, you are not perfect and you did one big mistake regarding Nukes! But, apart from that, you seemed to have played well in the war. Besides, your Diplomatic skills are good, which is always a powerfull "weapon".

You have a tendency to pick the different ones, don't you!? Too afraid to be as everyone else? :lol:
    :joke:

North Africa... better to be played by the AI, given the logic of the game. OK, I'll put you in charge of France, Mon Roi! If we get a novice player, then we'll see what to do. OK?

9. sohleks

sohleks Prince

For some reason this game tempts me to play it. I've looked at the map, and I'm willing to play an underdog civ as well, meaning I would play Zaragoza.

I vote for monarch difficulty , epic speed. Tech trading enabled? I think so.

10. Luthor_Saxburg

Hi.

Don't you prefer to take Castile or Portugal?

Not only Zaragoza is very weak as it is a Moorish city (which means starting at war with the rest of the humans)...

Portugal is also not an easy game. It will start equal to the others but in a later stage it might have to struggle more because it doesn't have a land UU like the "Spanish" do.

11. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Today - Yes giving up the nukes was a major mistake... I definitely mis-judged Russian movement ability and my own defensive strength. I've also only fought one major modern war in my lifetime, and it didnt involve tactical nukes, so I'm going to call it a learning experience ;)

Tora - now that I'm acting as England as well we shall see whether I'm any good or not pretty quickly!

It's not that I'm afraid to be like everyone else, I just like to be in different situations/civs in all my games. I took the US in Tora out of national pride and because I never play as the Americans. Then I went with the Muslims because I wanted a game where I was at a huge disadvantage and wanted to experiment... this game I know absolutely nothing about this period in history, so nothing is calling out to me... but I also love the scenario PBEMs so I could easily see myself playing the indifferent/distracted French leader who needs to be threatened or bribed to get involved ;)

If a novice type player comes along I'll gladly give up the French seat of power and take over one of the Moors!

12. Luthor_Saxburg

If the game works as I hope it will work, the Moors (muslims of the Iberian Peninsula) of Cordoba will be very strong and could infact be the ones conquering territory from the Christians. So, the French will need to get involved early to prevent having the Moors at their doorstep again...

Off course this is how I intend to setup the game... let's see if I get it right! :crazyeye:

In real history, the French Nobles and Knights made a big contribution to the Christian Armies. There were quite a few who started living in the Iberian Peninsula and never left. The first King of Portugal was one of them!

13. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Well... we shall see if the French choose to get involved. We will see how it plays out and keep a watchful eye on the region...

maybe being one of the Moors is more to my style :p lets see who we get to play first... why dont you just put me on the "reserved a space and playing but havent made a choice yet" list!

14. sohleks

sohleks Prince

I didn't realize they're part of the moors and you're right, I don't want to start the game already at ends with every player. Though technically this map seems to be extremely similar to regular civ. Zaragoza could make diplomacy with the players and AI irregardless of its religious practices and after all, I don't think players really care what symbol and chime a civ worships. But I see the point of aligning the players religiously ( and geographically) against the stronger AI and playing Zaragoza as Islam undermine that setup.

However imagine if Zaragoza underwent a revolution in state religion. :shifty:

Then maybe it would be reasonable for players to negotiate peace with such a kingdom ( because otherwise they would be aligned with foreign AI). Or this particular player would not, and would publicly be against every player with only the computer as known allies.

I'm changing my pick to Portugal for now. The Carrack and Portugal's access to moorish coastal regions is also an interesting option.

15. Calanthian

Calanthian Emperor

If you guys want I could play the Moors with some or other ruleset which you guys make up..

For instance: the Moors may never keep or raze a Christian city

Just design it so I can't win, but I can make it hard for you all..

And I am also ok if you change these rules at some moment during the game.
    Just see me as someone who'se role it is to put some "I" in the "AI"..

16. sohleks

sohleks Prince

Baleares? Wiki save me. Ah the Balearic Islands are located in the Mediterranean East of Spain. When I checked the map I did notice a civ in control of those islands. Luthor will probably not forget them!

17. Luthor_Saxburg

@Nightawk - all I am saying is that I made Cordoba very strong. Off course it is offset by the fact that it is played by the AI. If it was a human playing with it I would suspect it would win the game easily. So watch out for Cordoba! It's all I'm saying...

@Sohlesk - I wouldn't mind you playing with Zaragoza, keeping the religion, and trying to make peace with ALL the humans in the first turn (which is not sure all of them would want to). The thing is that Zaragoza Taifa is really weak and there wouldn't be much to do, apart from building units (that take a long time in Epic), hiding inside the only castle the Taifa has and... waiting for better days!

The baleares are part of the game! There is one Taifa (Denia) that controls them. The map above is only ilustrative, it's not an exact map of all the Kingdoms and Taifas! (maps were not very exact at the time)

@Calanthian - having Cordoba as a human crossed my mind... but the way the setup it is now if it was played by a human it would be too strong. And I don't know exactly what kind of rules could limit that.

18. Calanthian

Calanthian Emperor

* Making it EMPEROR and all others with a low difficulty.
    * The Moors may never keep or raze a Christian city
    * You can decide anytime to set Cordoba to AI.
    * Give them a bad leader
    * Let them be behind in tech..
    * etc. etc.

19. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Already arguments in Spain... The French wave their hands and laugh at your troubles!

(See, I can handle this role perfectly! ;))

20. Luthor_Saxburg

We are one player short... and I think that Castille should be played by a human.

Calanthian, what about you playing with a regular Christian nation? :mischief: