PBEM Reqonquista: The Chronicles

Calanthian

Emperor
The Chronicles of the Reconquista

This is the thread in which IN CHARACTER communication takes place considering PBEM Reconquista, a Beyond the Sword v3.19 PBEM game
(for settings see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=475172 )

Players:
Player 00 – Leon: ENDOVELICO
Player 01 – Castille: HERCULES90
Player 03 – Aragon: MICHOV
Player 04 – Portugal: SOHLEKS
Player 06 – France: NIGTHAWK419
Player 08 – Cordoba: CALANTHIAN
Player 11 – Denia: LUTHOR

:king: The main characters are:

* Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe (ruler of Cordoba).
__ Salah al-Din ibn Calanthe (Cordoban general, brother of the Caliph, also known as Saladin)
__ Tariq ibn Ziyad II (Cordoban general, excellent sword fighter, distant relative of Tariq ibn Ziyad the first (conqueror of Spain, around 730) )
__ Al-Mansur bi-llah ('Victorious by the grace of God', conqueror of Zaragossa, also known as Almonzor)

* Ferdinand of Castille, ‘El Magno’
* Duke Azzedine of Aquitane
* Mujahid al-Muwaffaq, ruler of Denia

Extract from the Encyclopedia Hispanica:

Caliphate of Córdoba

Caliphate of Córdoba
خلافة قرطبة
Khilāfat Qurṭuba (Arabic)

Capital: Córdoba

Language(s): Classical Arabic, Berber, Mozarabic, Medieval Hebrew

Government: Monarchy

Area: 600,000 km2 (231,661 sq mi)

History of Al-Andalus:

711–732 Muslim conquest

Battles : Battle of Guadalete
Battle of Toulouse | Battle of Tours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
756–today: Umayyads of Córdoba

Emirate of Córdoba
Caliphate of Córdoba
Ruler: Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe

Extract from the official Great Book of خلافة قرطبة

From 929 until today the Caliphate of Córdoba (Arabic: خلافة قرطبة; trans. Khilāfat Qurṭuba) rules the Iberian peninsula (Al-Andalus) and part of North Africa from the Islamic Qurtuba (Córdoba) city.

This period is characterized by remarkable successes in trade and culture; many of the masterpieces of Islamic Iberia were constructed during this period, including the famous Great Mosque of Córdoba. In January 929, Abd-ar-Rahman III proclaimed himself Caliph (Arabic: خليفة) of Qurtuba in place of his original title Emir of Córdoba (Arabic: أمير قرطبة 'Amīr Qurṭuba). Abd-ar-Rahman III was a member of the Umayyad dynasty, one who held the titles of Emir of Córdoba since 756. The rule of the Caliphate is known as the heyday of Muslim presence in the Iberian peninsula.

Out of Arabia

Abd-ar-Rahman I became Emir of Córdoba in 756; fleeing for six years after the Umayyads had lost the position of Caliph held in Damascus in 750. Intent on regaining a position of power, he defeated the existing Islamic rulers of the area who defied Umayyad rule and united various local fiefdoms into an emirate. In 806, however, occurred the first of a series of incursions to Corsica.

Caliphate

Rulers of the Emirate were content to use the title emir or sultan until the 10th century, when Abd-ar-Rahman III was faced with the threat of invasion by the Fatimids, a rival Islamic empire based in Cairo. Partially to help in his fight against the invading Fatimids, who claimed the Caliphate in opposition to the generally recognized Abbasid Caliph of Baghdad, Abd-ar-Rahman III claimed the title of Caliph himself. This move helped Abd-ar-Rahman III gain prestige with his subjects, and the title was retained even after the Fatimids were repulsed.

Prosperity

The Caliphate enjoyed immense prosperity throughout the 10th century. Abd-ar-Rahman III not only united al-Andalus, but brought the Christian kingdoms of the north, through force and diplomacy, under control. Abd-ar-Rahman stopped the Fatimid advance into Caliphate lands in Morocco and al-Andalus. This period of prosperity is marked by growing diplomatic relations with Berber tribes in North Africa, Christian kings from the north, with France and Germany, and Constantinople.

Abdur Rahman was a consummate soldier, an accomplished scholar, a great builder and a just ruler. He forged Spain into a single military-political entity shorn of the petty rivalries of regional chiefs and Arab tribes. Scholars flocked to his court from Kairouan, Cairo, Baghdad and Bukhara. His personal collection of books exceeded 400,000. The court nobility, copying the ways of their sovereign, had their own collections of books. No writer, no scribe, no teacher was without work. Under Abdur Rahman, Cordoba grew to be the largest and most cosmopolitan urban center in the world with a population exceeding one million. The city had more than 100,000 homes, 80,000 shops, 700 mosques and 900 public baths. The streets were paved and were patrolled. The shops were filled with goods from all over the world and Andalusian merchants were known in distant parts of Eurasia. Agriculture received particular attention and Spain became an agricultural paradise. Abdur Rahman enlarged and embellished the great mosque of Cordoba. His principal architectural achievement was the construction of his capital Madinat az Zahra, a marble city constructed three miles from Cordoba. So beautiful was this city that visitors came from far and wide to see and marvel at its beauty.

Abdur Rahman ruled over his kingdom with justice towards people of all religions. Christians and Jews received equal protection under the law. Spain became the most cosmopolitan kingdom on earth. The Caliph made no distinction between his own household and the common man in matters of justice. When one of his sons was tried by the courts and convicted of treason, Abdur Rahman sentenced him to death against the entreaties of his own household. After the sentence was carried out, Abdur Rahman was so struck with sorrow that he was never seen to smile again.

Abdur Rahman III passed away in the year 961 and was buried at Madinat-az-Zahra. His reign marked the zenith of Islamic civilization in Spain and the pinnacle of its golden age.

The death of Abd-ar-Rahman III led to the rise of his 46 year old son Al-Hakam II. Al-Hakam II more-or-less followed in his father's footsteps, occasionally dealing with a few disruptive Christian kings and North African rebels, though trying not to be too severe. Unlike his father, al-Hakam's dependence upon his advisers was more distinct.

Unrest

The death of al-Hakam II in 976 marked the beginning of a difficult period for the Caliphate of Córdoba. Before his death, al-Hakam named his 10 year old son Hisham II (976–1008) as successor. Seeing that the child was in no way competent to be Caliph, yet having sworn an oath of obedience to him, Al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir (the top adviser to Hisham's father, also known as Almanzor) pronounced him Caliph. Ibn Abi Aamir acted as guardian to the young Hisham, exercising the Caliph's powers until he was of age. While doing so however, he isolated Hisham in Córdoba while systematically eradicating opposition to his own rule. He allowed Berbers from Africa to immigrate steadily to al-Andalus in order to build up his base of support. He, and eventually after his death in 1008, his son Abd al-Malik (al-Muzaffar), and later his brother (Abd al-Rahman) retained the powers nominally held by Caliph Hisham. However, on a raid in the Christian north, a revolt tore through Córdoba, and Abd al-Rahman never returned.

Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe

Being the most prominent surviving advisor of Hisham, Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe realized that this is the time to act. As otherwise the Caliphate would slowly crumble away and the Iberian peninsula would forever be lost for the one true faith. Seizing the opportunity he quickly dispatched of Caliph Hisham.

Now he is the last hope of the Muslim faith. Caliph Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe is faced with the difficult task to stop the decay of the Caliphate, defend Al-Andalus against the Christians and stabilize the Cordoban interior affairs ..

The once majestic Caliphate of Cordoba had been in trouble for quite some years. They started in 976, when the 10 year old Hisham II became Caliph. He was deposed in 1008 but returned to power in 1010 which he held until 1012. In the next 14 years, the Caliphate had 7 Caliphs, with frequent wars and conflicts, mainly between the Umayyad dynasty and the Hammudid one. During this period several Taifas emerged, trying to break free from the Caliphate bonds. Some resisted and growed, others not.

Hishman III came to power in 1026 and tried to consolidate the huge Caliphate and to regain power (which had slipped away from the Caliph under the rule of young Hisham II) but his decisions to raise taxes made him many enemies...

Recently the Caliph’s Visir (Al-Hakam) has been murdered and Hisham III arrested!!! Now chaos is installed in the huge Caliphate. Different factions have risen with several powerfull men auto claiming themselves Emir... others not so powerfull have also claimed themselves Emir... there was even a slave who proclamed to be Emir of a tiny region.

With the aggravation of the civil war and without no clear leader in sight, many troops have deserted, just leaving their posts and heading home. Even major cities are now undermanned or not garrissoned at all. Even in the majestic city of Cordoba, some bandits (some of them deserters) were able to overcame the Treasure Guard and sacked the gold in it, leaving it empty... armed deserters, renegades and bandits are everywhere. Christian mercenaries that were fighting for Hisham III, have fled after not receiving their pay and became willing to join the Christians... these experienced soldiers could prove to be a difficult thorn to overcame to who ever stands against them...

The Christian Kingdoms that still paid tribute, immediately refused to pay after the Caliph arrest and, in a unparallel unity (until now), they declared war to try and gain territories due to the imminent civil war in the Moorish lands. Taking advantage of the situation, some Taifas have started to raid some moorish territories, going against their own Muslim brothers.

Meanwhile the generals faithfull to Hishham III have given orders to recall the army fighting the Ghana Empire, in Africa. But the destruction of most of the ships in the civil war and the lack of shipbuilders in the land will probably prevent this to be done in a fastly manner.

Despite the recent Christian alliance, the relations between them are not ideal. The Count of Portugal has “forgotten” to pay tribute to Leon in the past years and there are rumors that he does not like to be Count... and that he’d rather be King... The King of Leon is not happy about the situation but the recent rivalry with Castille (and the constant Moorish threat) might not allow him to do anything about it. The rich city of Zaragoza is claimed by Castille, Navarra and Aragon. The fact that the city is under the rule of the Emir of Zaragoza does not stop the Christians constant quarrel over it.

Meanwhile in Cordoba, an imminent muslim, Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe is trying to seize power and keep the Caliphate intact. He seems to be the last hope of the Caliphate, as it seems unavoidable that it will be separated into small Taifas...

I am Ferdinand of Castille, some call me ‘El Magno’. Following the death of my father Sanchos I am here forth the Count of Castille. I have grown up in these environs since I was a child.

My father intended a royal future for me and I intend to further the interests of Castille as best I can.
This is my homeland. I remember my father Sanchos taking me around Toledo. He took me secretly to the ‘Cave of Hercules’ .

‘About 250 m to the west, in the heart of the city of Toledo, remains were found presumably belonging to a water storage and distribution site. This location, under an ancient church in the Callejon de San Ginès, is locally known as ′La cueva de Hercules′, the Hercules cave.’

I belong here.

The King of France has granted the County of Aquitaine in southern France to the charge of Duke Azzedine. The Duke is a second cousin of the King and known for his love of wine and tremendous palatial estates. He has taken his County Seat in 1031 AD with his southern border all too close to the war of the Christian States against the Taifas and the Cordoban Caliphate. France being a Christian state itself obviously supports the Christians against the Muslims and wishes to support them in its crusade to rid the Spanish mainland of the invaders. However the Duke dislikes war and wishes to avoid the messiness it entails for his people. Time will tell how involved the Duke gets involved with the activity to the south. Currently he has a buffer zone of Christian states between his County and the Caliphate, and has his own rampaging theives and barbarians to deal with within his own County. His first priority must be cleansing his own lands of these terrorists before turning to the Caliphate...

Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe calls for peace.

As our prophet says:

“God does not forbid you to be kind and equitable to those who have neither fought against your faith nor driven you out of your homes. In fact God loves the equitable.” Qur’an:60:8

and

“Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Garden (paradise) whose width is that of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous – Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity or in adversity, who restrain (their) anger and pardon (all) men – for God loves those who do good.” Qur’an:3:133-134

so will the Caliphate of Cordoba give peace to all who do us no harm.

Short news:

* Cordoba city is attacked by Christian forces of the Castille, Aragon, Portugal, Navarra and Aquitane.

* Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe has given Tarik ibn Ziyad II the command to defend the city at all cost.

* The renegades are running amoc in the country side.

* Imam Feruk al-Isdri is sent to the Emirate of Denia to ask for peace.

* Portuguese forces are threatening Alcantera.

In a daring attack Al-Mansur bi-llah has conquered Zaragossa.

With this attack the Aljafería Palace (Arabic:قصر الجعفرية Qasr Aljafariya, Spanish: Palacio de la Aljafería) is secured for the Islamic faith. This fortified medieval Islamic palace reflects the splendor attained by the kingdom of the taifa of Zaragoza at the height of its grandeur. Now it is part of the Caliphate of Cordoba.

The Trouadour Tower of the Aljafería Palace

Link to video.

The Muslims played a principal role in the history of Spain. Their presence illuminated the Iberian Peninsula while the rest of Europe was engulfed in darkness. And so, Andalusia produced a great civilization far ahead and advanced than the rest of Europe. Under their rule, Muslims made Spain a center for learning and knowledge. The Muslims were taught reading, writing, math, Arabic, Qur'an, and Hadith, and became leaders in math, science, medicine, astronomy, navigation, etc.

Al-Andalus became renowned for its prosperity as people who quested for knowledge journeyed from afar to learn in its universities under the feet of the Muslims.

In a brutal attack the forces of the Kingdom of Portugal have conquered the beautiful city of Alcantera.

Al-Mansur Ibn Calanthe has called for unity between Muslims living in and outside the Caliphate of Cordoba.
"We will reconquer Alcantera from those Portuguese bastards, Insha'Allah !"

Calatrava is the only important city in the Guadiana River valley. It guards the roads to Córdoba and Toledo.

Its name is derived from the Arabic Qal'at Rabāḥ قلعة رباح ("fortress of Rabah"), a reference to the Moorish nobleman who held this area in the 8th century, although as a fortress it may date even earlier – to Iberian times.

Now, we the rightfull owners of this area, have reconquered it. Rabah's ancestors can sleep again.
The forces under command of Tariq ibn Ziyad II did brilliantly.
The infidels have lost their chance to threaten Cordoba in the near future..

Peace with Castille

Peace has been signed with Castille. Upon reaching a satisfactory peace agreement for both parties Caliph Al-Mansur ibn Calanthe added:

Our view is that there is truth and holiness in other religious faiths.
Our view is that there are many paths to God.
So let us welcome our new friends.

Salah al-Din ibn Calanthe returns from a victorious campaign against the Renegades.

Saladin rides into Jaen.

Upon his return his brother, Caliph Al-Mansur ibn Calanthe, has promoted him to Emir of the cities of Granada and Jaen.
His words at the occasion were as follows:

May you be a good and wise emir.
May you preserve our lands from the infidels.
May our enemies tremble at the sight of such an accomplished warrior and general.

Let them pray they never meet you on the field of battle.

Yes I confirm that I Monarch of Castille have made peace with Caliph Al-Mansur ibn Calanthe.

I did this because my people had grown tired of this long conflict. It seemed that as well as being at war with Caliph Al-Mansur ibn Calanthe, that we, of Christian faith had also pursued battles against our fellow Christians, for what, for what, an extra field, an extra county, an extra shore, an extra pass.

While we fought each other, we grew weak, our families suffered hunger with no farmers in the fields nor olive groves, our sons slaughtered, humiliation and our scholars too busy struggling to survive that they were not able to study the sciences.

So yes, in the interests of my people I agreed to a peace.

I understand from my contacts in another place that my good friend, the Emirate of Denia, dares to question the wisdom of my court. Indeed goes further.

Pah, speak your concerns here, not in some other place.

" Men, assemble the forces.

We must stop the progress of the Portuguese, while at the same time dealing with the unwise emir of Denia
who chose to take a path which may very well hurt the one true faith.

May we set things straight on the field of battle, may Allah guide us through this storm..

Remember men, the reward will come, either in this life or in the after-life.."

Denia has been conquered

In a hard fought battle Allah has blessed us. Our forces managed to scale the thick walls of Denia and conquered the city.

Thus we have secured our eastern shores. Men, remain vigilant, fight hard and we will prevail.

And let it be known that we offer the emir of Denia the opportunity to return to the cause of maintaining the one true faith in al-Andalus. He surely must understand now that he can't oppose us.

The expected fall of Denia will not stop the true fighters of islam!

"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress, for Allah loves not the transgressor. Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers."

Mujahid al-Muwaffaq, ruler of Denia

My brave soldiers, my peones, continue to trudge homewards. At least our homeland is not laid waste, they say.

But they hear rumours of marauding villians still terrorising Castillian countryside.

Sólo tiene que esperar

Top Bottom