PBEM setup question

Laguardo

Chieftain
Hi all

I'm trying to set up a play by email game and upon taking my first turn the game said that I had to send the save game file manually since I had not set up the automatic in-game email function. I was just wondering how I do this since it's not covered in the manual? Where do I go to input my email address and the address of whom I wish to send the game on to next etc?

Many thanks!

Lag

No, it's not covered and it's not obvious either. At the end of your turn, type "Alt + D", a window will open with some blanks, unlabeled fields. Simply mouse over to know what to enter in each one. You can also password protect your nation with this screen :) (this information should be stickied in this forum i guess, i also have a hard time finding it)

Arnaud

Arnaud.Online said:
No, it's not covered and it's not obvious either. At the end of your turn, type "Alt + D", a window will open with some blanks, unlabeled fields. Simply mouse over to know what to enter in each one. You can also password protect your nation with this screen :) (this information should be stickied in this forum i guess, i also have a hard time finding it)

Arnaud

Awesome, thanks for that! I also found in the game setup screen before you actually begin the game that there is an icon next to your name. If you click that then you can input the details there too. Guess I was too hungover to notice it first time around :)

I've read the previous posts so this isn't a burning issue since SMPT isn't working at the moment anyway.

Nevertheless, I'd like to ask anyway:

What is SMPT?
How would I set it up normally?
If I'm using yahoo or gmail, would I be able to use SMPT as an option (once the option is viable again, that is)?

Thanks much in advance,
Lotsahooey

It's SMTP and it's the outgoing e-mail server that your ISP uses to send e-mails. If you use Outlook or Outlook Express, chances are you already know what your SMTP server is, but if not, you may need to contact your ISP to get your outgoing mail server address.

Just to add some precisions, SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It can be used without password (in which case Civ 4 should be able to use it directly from inside the game), or with password in which case Civ 4 won't (for now) be able to use it. But it seems to be unreliable anyway, because even though my provider (Sympatico in Canada) does not use password, I am not able to make it work from within Civ 4. One other problem is that the default SMTP port is twenty-something (25 i think) but some provider uses SMTP on another port, and in this case Civ 4 is again unable to connect (unless you setup a specific proxy to relay the port, which is not easy).

Arnaud

Concerning the port thing: my SMTP uses port 587. I originally got an error message in response to trying to send my turn automatically that I was connecting to the incorrect port, so I "Alt-D"ed open my preferences and added ":587" to the end of the SMTP server address.

That seemed to do the trick; I stopped getting that error message and started getting the one relating to my password and user name not matching (the other bug).

So, I'm just wondering, have you tried this method to make Civ 4 access the non-default port, and if so, did it work for you?

Or is it not really working for me?

I made some more tests,and i realized there is a way to specify the username and password using SMTP ! When you finish your turn, IF AND ONLY IF you have configured previously your own email address and SMTP server, you are then presented with a box with two empty fields. Mouse-over indicates name & password for SMTP. I can not try it though, because my provider doesn t use it. Did you try and it didnt work ? Or did you miss those two fields ? It is still possible it does not work because several protocols exist for SMTP passwords transmissions. I finaly succeeded with Sympatico, i had to use another SMTP server than the default one. Now it works fine !

Arnaud

Top Bottom