1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PBEM The Giant

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by Luthor_Saxburg, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

INTRODUCTION
    Throughout history there has been alliances forged out of need (due to a major foe). But once the major foe started to shiver, the need for that alliance would decrease... and the former allies often became enemies...

This PBEM is based on that notion. There is one Giant (played by AI) and four weaker humans. The beginning has to be a cooperation game amongst human players or the (AI) giant will win!!! If the Giant was human, this game would be a no brainer. Period.

The Giant will be played by AI, so if there is a human alliance against it, the odds of the Giant not crushing everyone will be less. With time, the AI will should start to became less and less dangerous. At that point in time, the really interesting part of the game begins!

The interesting question is: when in time should humans break the alliance and (basically) betray each other? If too soon, the AI will regain strength and win. If too late, then other humans might take the opportunity first...

In the end, there can be only one victorious nation!

Off topic comment
    Spoiler :
    If you ever have a chance to play a boardgame called "Republic of Rome" you should try it. Each human player is an individual politician in the Republic and whoever is nominated Emperor wins. The human can cooperate (things like "if you vote for me to became senator I will vote for you to became head of the Army") or to "fight" each other. The "fight" is not a military one, more a political one (veto a decision for a certain senator to lead the Army against the Barbarians because if he wins he will gain the favour of the people).

Everytime that the humans fight too much among themselves the "game" (representing the Barbarians) wins points. So, when the focus is too much on internal political disputes instead of focusing on the wellbeing of the Republic (Army, food supply, people wellbeing), the Roman giant loses points to an entity called "the game". If the game reaches a certain level of points, the game wins!!! :eek: This represents the collapse of the Roman Giant to the barbarians due to too many internal conflicts! I loved that game! But most of the times I've played the game won! :crazyeye:

When a senator became too powerfull, the focus of the human players was often to bring him down rather than facing the Barbarian threats or investing in aqueducts, which meant that the game would win a few extra points. Off course when the game became too powerfull, humans would often unite against the common foe. Sometimes it was too late, but in some occasions, the threat was decreased due to collaboration amongst humans (the game points could decrease as well).

May it be a warning for this game. The Giant here is really overpowerfull. If there is too many selfish attittudes, the world could be ruled by a computer (AI)!

GAME SETTINGS
    Basic BtS (no MOD)
    - Speed: Normal
    - Map: islandy type
    - Starting era: Medieval
    - Human difficulty: Prince
    - No city flipping from culture
    - Raging Barbarians
    - Aggressive AI
    - Random personalities
    - No Tech Brokering (Tech Trading ON)
    - Require complete kills
    - No vassal states

NATIONS
    0. The Giant - Russia (AI)
    1. Germany - SITS ReallyEvilMuff Luthor
    2. Viking - Michov
    3. Portugal -Rodrigo
    4. American - Knoedel
    5. Minor nation - Ottoman - Luthor AI

VICTORY CONDITIONS
    - Conquest
    - Domination
    - Diplomatic
    - Cultural

HOUSERULES
    - Game via PBEMtracker
    - Players should play most of their turns within 48h
    - Free diplomacy (no restrictions)
    - No declaration of war between humans on the first 10 turns (except to the Ottomans)
    - Humans can not build Nuclear weapons
    - The human Ottoman can not declare war on humans

BONUS
    Humans will get some bonuses at their own choice. The possibilities are:
    a) Humans will start with 2 Great Persons and 1 General. One extra GP (or general) can be picked by humans
    b) ONE building (ANY building with the exclusion of World Wonders) for free in their capital on TOP of the existing ones

STARTING Position
    Here is the demographics. As you can see, the Giant is very powerfull and only an alliance can stop him!

COMMENTS
    There are 4+1 players. The 5th player (me) is more an observant and will not interfere in the war. It can be attacked and defend itself, but it will not make active war against anyone. I will play with this Civ just to keep an eye for things and somewhere along the line I will drop out of the game, leaving the real humans for the complicated task of knocking down the Giant.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. SITS

SITS Chieftain

Please sign me up, would like Fredrick of Germany. I live in GMT+0 and my turns are normally played at 5am or late afternoons.

3. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

That sounds great, sign me up. Any civ is fine with me as long as it's not the Byzantines

4. Rodrigo Costa

Rodrigo Costa King

I'd like to Join. I'd like to play as D. Joao II.

5. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Ah what the hay, why not. I'm in.

America please.

6. Luthor_Saxburg

OK. The players are all in and the file is almost almost ready.Things to do:

1) join the tracker
    Name: Giant
    Password: CFC
    http://www.pbemtracker.com/game.php?gameID=189

2) choose the bonus
    a) 1 Great Person at choice (or a General)
    b) ONE building (World Wonders excluded) for free in the capital

If not done, I will choose for you.

3) Settings
    Any comments regarding the settings?

7. Imp. Knoedel

1) Done.
    2) I want a Research Institute, provided Unique Buildings are allowed here. (At this stage it is de facto a Great Library that does not expire.)
    3) How are religions distributed?

8. Luthor_Saxburg

1) Thanks.
    2) Yes, everything is allowed.
    3) Each human player gets 1 religion. The Giant gets 3...

9. SITS

SITS Chieftain

1) Done
    2a) Engineer
    2b) Research Institute

10. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

So we'll have 4GPs at the start. 2 random? GPs, 1 GG and one of our own choosing?

You missed a k there, don't worry most people do ;-)

11. Luthor_Saxburg

Michkov, sorry about the name. I've corrected my mistake.
    Humans will start with 2GP's and 1 GG + 1 other at choice (GP or GG). So please make your choice of building and GP (or GG).

Knoedel, do you have a Preference for the type of the extra GP?

12. Imp. Knoedel

Wait, I thought we should choose between a GP and a building? You made it sound like we could only get one.

Anyway before I make my decision I want to know if my capital starts with a preplaced Scotland Yard and whether or not my holy city already has its shrine.

13. Luthor_Saxburg

Sorry for not making it clearer.

:confused: You, that make a 'crazy' game where everything is random... and now what to know every single detail? Came on, let me keep some surprises! ;)
    I mean, you are starting with 2GP+1GG+1extra... and you still want more (info)?

I propose that you think that the buildings and GP’s you are getting are random.

14. Imp. Knoedel

I do not trust the RNG.

15. Luthor_Saxburg

You do well not to trust it! But sometimes we have to live with it.

Knoedel, so is it random Great Person + Research Institute?

16. Imp. Knoedel

I want a Great General.

17. Luthor_Saxburg

And it begins!

I've tried to start the game in the tracker but failed! I will try again tomorrow. Meanwhile, the file has been sent by email.

I think that if the humans ally with each other, they should be able to bring the (dumb AI) Giant down. But let's see! Maybe the PBEM only lasts 10 turns and the Giant wins! :crazyeye:

Good luck to all!

18. SITS

SITS Chieftain

Here is the turn to Michkov. Good luck all!

Attached Files:

19. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Rodrigo your turn

@ Luthor ignore the email I send you

Attached Files:

20. Luthor_Saxburg

I've sent an email to the PBEM tracker administrators to try to sort this out. Meanwhile we'll have to send it onwards by email.