PBEM using SMTP on windows 8.1

TopMonkey

Chieftain
I play PBEM games with my father in law.
he recently had to move to anew computer as his old one died

he has a ISP which allowed the SMTP function in a PBEM to work without the additional password so it was all relatively easy for him

under windows 8.1 on his new computer however if he takes the SMTP option at the end of his turn the email gets sent ok but the PC freezes and has to be rebooted

but if he does not take the SMTP option at the end of the turn the game does not freeze

have tried all the variations of running as administrator and compatibility options to earlier versions of windows

has anyone else seen this behaviour or any bright ideas what is occurring and any possible remedies.

I cant help you with the SMTP issues, but I have a alternative way to automatically send the save files between machines.

I'm using a shared dropbox folder for my 2 player PBEM games. If you set a symbolic link between the saves\pbem\yourgame folder and the shared dropbox folder the saves get placed in the shared folder and are pretty much immediately on the other players machine. At times it's more like hotseat mode than PBEM pace wise, which is quite nice.

Thanks a lot

I have set the dropbox solution as you suggested and it works brilliantly

Top Bottom