PBEM Website coming soon :)

OverloadUT

Stats Monkey
Imagine, if you will, a website which would handle the logistics of running a PBEM game.

Basically it would create a page for you displaying everyone in the PBEM game, and a turn by turn breakdown of what turns have been played. It would show a table of every turn and whose turn it was, what date/time it "became" their turn, and what date/time they finished their turn.

It would make it easy to see who you're waiting on and how long people are taking on average.

It would also have a "shoutbox" type thing that would allow people in the game to easily talk about the game.

I am mainly posting here to get a feel for the interest in a webpage like this. I originally started to make it just for my friends and I, but then I thought that other people might like to use it as well.

Also, are there any features that you could suggest?

i'm curious how you are planning to handle the functionality you describe.

specifically, how do you plan to handle the sending and recieving of the save files?

Ivel said:
i'm curious how you are planning to handle the functionality you describe.

specifically, how do you plan to handle the sending and recieving of the save files?

Good question. Perhaps I should have explained that.

Basically, when setting up the game, you set everyone's email address to the same thing, which will be a special email address that sends it to this web server. The web server monitors that mail box and waits for a new save file to come in. When that happens, the webpage is updated to indicate whose turn it is and all that jazz, plus an email is sent to the person whose turn it is (according to that user's preferences of course!) The user will also be able to access the save file directly from the web page.

This is absolutly a GREAT idea ! Such a website would be really, really useful for PBEM games.

Arnaud

I know something like that was tried with Civ III. It worked fine for a couple times around, then it messed up on us...

Gnarfflinger said:
I know something like that was tried with Civ III. It worked fine for a couple times around, then it messed up on us...

Well hopefully I can make this one nice and stable. :)

I've got quite a few minds working on this. It'll probably be 2-3 weeks before I have a fully functional version 1 for people to try out.

Keep me posted when you do try to test this. I'd like to see something like this up and running...

Sounds like a great idea, so far its been a nightmare to try and get a game running through these forums.

Top Bottom