1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PC Game Sales: Civ4 Resurrected to Weekly Top 10 List

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

NPD Group today released the list of the top 10 best selling PC games in the US for the week July 20 - July 26. Interestingly, Civilization IV, which was released in October 2005, is back on the list at #9:

1. Nancy Drew: The Phantom Of Venice / Her Interactive / $18 (Average)
    2. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $30 (Average)
    3. The Sims 2 IKEA Home Stuff Expansion Pack / EA Maxis / $20 (Average)
    4. World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39 (Average)
    5. Spore Creature Creator / EA Maxis / $10 (Average)
    6. Diablo Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39 (Average)
    7. World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $20 (Average)
    8. World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack / Blizzard / $30 (Average)
    9. Sid Meier's Civilization IV / Firaxis Games / $30
    10. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare / Infinity Ward / $50 (Average)
    I would say this is a good indication that CivRev is helping to bring more gamers to the Civilization series. :)

2. djrules5454

djrules5454 Chieftain

Another older game that has done really well as of late: Sim City 4 (2003), but it got knocked off recently likely due to the Spore Creature Creator. Oh, and The Sims 2 was released back in 2004, but its reign in the Top 10 is due to the reincarnations of its base game known as the various Deluxe Editions.

It's great to see games like Sim City 4 and Civilization 4 still selling well. It is a testament to the quality of both the online content communities and the quality of the games themselves.

3. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Interesting that it's in the top 10. I wonder if that includes Gold Edition sales? It's been quite awhile since I've been to an electronics store, but I'm pretty sure even half a year ago CivGold was the one for sale.

Another reminder of how popular WoW is, too. I think I'm glad I became a Civ player, instead - even with One-More-Turn Syndrome I don't think it's quite as bad for keeping on playing forever.

4. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Prince

So that's what happens when you keep supporting your game with patches and the like. I hope other developers and especially publishers are watching!

5. cephalo

cephalo Deity

The fact that most of the top 10 list is more than 3 years old is not a good thing in my opinion. The dearth of new computer games is the worst I've seen in my adult life. There was a time that I could stop into a game store and find something I hadn't heard of and that I'd like to try. For the past year or so my Gamestop store has hardly changed it's stock at all. We've gone from a PC games 'section' to a mere 'shelf'.

6. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

I was about to post the same exact thing. We're all celebrating that these old games are still selling, but all that it means is that there are less and less new PC games coming out that people want to buy.

7. kazapp

kazapp Emperor

Perhaps piracy have made the $$$ move over to MMO's instead?

8. 3141592

3141592 Warlord

Yeah, that and the anti-pirate measures. Not saying that pirating is right, but the companies are going about it all the wrong way. No DRM is the way to go, it makes life easier for actual buyers of the games and no matter how much DRM is heaped on a game will still get hacked in days anyway.

9. Kolath

Kolath Eternal Lurker

But here is the critical question: do the NPD sales figures include digital distribution of games? I seem to recall hearing that they did not. If not, they are missing the explosive growth of Steam as a distribution platform along with EA's digital service.

10. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Nancy Drew Rocks! Take that, Sid. Next up, a Nancy Drew game about smugglers (wait, they're all about smugglers...).

11. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

They don't include digital sales.

12. hevehoc

hevehoc Warlord

Great that it's on the list :thumbsup:! and just to mention IKEA comes from sweden :woohoo: :)!

13. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Come for the furniture; stay for the meatballs.