1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PC Gamer Review September, 20th

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Zhahz, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

2. MarcusNovius

MarcusNovius Chieftain

quote- "A bigger problem is the AI, which can’t grasp the subtleties—it has a bad habit of wheeling its long-range artillery directly up to my melee units. On higher difficulty levels the AI simply gets a resource boost to overwhelm you with numbers, rather than any more tactical smarts."

hmmm that doesnt sound very good :(

3. TreborLocke

TreborLocke Chieftain

That is the same it has been for every Civ game. Keep in mind though that they want people to 'feel' like they can win you know. If the AI was as smart and clever as a human, players at the middle of the range difficulties would have a VERY hard time even competing as you'd have no breathing room for error.

If you're worried about AI, play MP with a group of friends.

4. MarcusNovius

MarcusNovius Chieftain

good point.. im usually playing at a quite low level anyway. Would get smashed on MP!! :p

5. Dizzy75

Dizzy75 Warlord

Thanks for the link. For some reason I read the thread title to mean PC Gamer gave it 9 points out of 20. But I see they actually gave it 93%. :)

6. dustlined

dustlined Chieftain

Same here, I always struggle with US date format :D

RE: the AI, it's slightly reassuring to see this too:

...which makes me think (hope?) that some of the other AI-grumbling in the review is because the reviewer was playing on a low difficulty level. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

7. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

Um, there are several sources saying the AI does improve at higher difficulty.

Also, there's Greg's ustream which clearly shows him claiming that the AI improves at difficulty, and it show's Napoleon's artillery hammering him at range.

8. TreborLocke

TreborLocke Chieftain

Also, who is to say that the copy the reviewers got is the final copy? It is high practice now to patch things up on release day! Developers do like to save some goodies and tweaks til the last minute (or in the case of Civ IV several years) ;)

9. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

The female voice (sorry I don't remember the name) on Greg's ustream playthrough said that the press release was going to be the same as the full release. So I wouldn't expect any differences.

But given there are several discrepancies between what some of the critics are saying, and features that have been confirmed here, I wouldn't take all of them at face value.

10. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I like the screenshots.

11. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Followed directly by:

The A.I. Makes mistakes. It always has in civ and probably always will. I don't think anyone is saying that the computer is going to be charging the trenches with Artillery teams... Just that from time to time the A.I. makes a piss poor move.

12. Indibil

Indibil Chieftain

Saying the AI goes artillery first had me nervy but then I read he plays below Prince and relaxed a bit.

13. Escalate

Escalate Chieftain

I'm not worried about dumb AI as it should have some problem at the first place.

But the mention about backstabber Gandhi make me head-scratch. :confused:

14. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

I don't remember where this was from (it was from 2k or Firaxis), but it was presented this way:

The AI will compile a list of alternative actions ranked from best action to worst action. At lower difficulty levels, the AI could pick any alternative from the list (meaning it may not pick the best alternative). As the difficulty level increases, the AI will increasing pick from the better alternatives.

I suppose at a certain difficulty level it will always pick the best option.

So, if the reviewer was playing at a level below which the AI always picks the best option, then the AI may always or occasionally make dopey moves.

15. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Keep in mind this is a "reprint" from their magazine, which has been out a while, and which had to have been written a while ago, so there it probably doesn't feature the final release version of the game.

One would hope that blatant AI stupdity like moving siege next to melee would not be in the final build, or that it was a symptom of someone playing on a lesser difficulty where the AI doesn't always make the best strategic decision (like keeping siege away from melee).

Yeah, yeah, I've asked mods to change my titles to be more internationally-friendly with the dates. :crazyeye:

16. Pragmatic

Pragmatic Prince

Grrr... It sounds like Babylon will be a game-day DLC purchase. I KNEW I shouldn't have bought the extra-special Deluxe edition...

Le sigh.

17. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

Just going to point out that on the livestream we saw Napoleon fare very poorly against the Japan player in military combat but only because:

1. Japan had the superior position.

2. Japan has a great UU.

3. Japan has a great racial ability.

At no point did we see Napoleon do send cannons to the front lines.

Remember: The AI in Civ 5 picks from a list of possible things it can do. The lower the difficulty the more poor choices it has (or the more weighted those choices are). Putting siege in the front sounds more like the person was playing against an easier AI than it does that the AI is bad.

There is a difference between a tactical mistake (putting siege in the front) on an easy difficulty and using artillery from 2-3 tiles away to dominate Samurai on a hard difficulty (as was the case in the stream we all saw which was on a higher difficulty).

18. TreborLocke

TreborLocke Chieftain

The Digital Delux Edition also comes with the complete soundtrack. So even if they make babylon game day DLC, you still get that added bonus and probably aren't paying in practical theory for Babylon.

I'm a composer anyway and I wanted it mostly for the music :3

19. TreborLocke

TreborLocke Chieftain

:agree:

20. Auncien

Auncien Prince

The AI now has four, innovative levels of failure? :lol: