PC Gamer reviews Crysis - gives it a 98!

glcm1961

Chieftain
Holy Crap. Just got the mag and read the review. Needless to say it looks like it lives up to the hype. I'm going to install the demo and see for myself.

Just installed the demo, it will run on my machine but I'm not sure which settings.

EDIT: Had mostly low with some mediums, ran at 38 FPS most of the time. It's quite good. A worthy successor to Far Cry, I LOVE the physics. Also really like Crytek's putting of animal life in, like turtles, crabs, birds.

The AI isn't bad but I didn't let them live that long anyways so I didn't test that out. I love the suit and abilities though I wish I had a bit more energy but it keeps it from being TOO uber.

Though, maybe because of the story line, it's not the whole island is open to you but like Far Cry there's lots of space for most of it so you can take a few different paths (well, land, water, or a combination) you can also avoid most of the enemies if you want.

Excuse the ignorance....... but what's Crysis? Everyone's talking about it but I have no clue

Its one of the first DX10 games that was announced, and it looks to be the new "Uber-gfx" game that will be used to benchmark from now on. Needless to say, it deserves that as it does look amazing. I havent played it though since I doubt my computer can run it very well..

Meh it runs badly thanks to my bottleneck CPU. Once/if I get a new CPU and motherboard I'll bother with it.

aaaaah, I know this game, isn't this the game which is supposed to high some sort of 'ultra high resolution graphics' only available for Vista users but you can work around it by moving some files about in your Program files folder?

Ive no idea what you're talking about there. The demo runs fine on XP at least, and it has full DX9 support...

Link from Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar said:
The folks over at ActionTrip bring us news of a fan post in which someone has discovered how to unlock the "Very High" settings, which were arbitrarily blocked from use in XP:

Quote:
I saw this in the comments on our "Crysis Demo Impressions" post and I must say, it's a winner. If you follow the instructions in this post, you will be playing what looks exactly like a DirectX 10, "Very High" settings version of Crysis under XP. I have tried it and it does work. It makes everything look just as good as it does in DirectX 10 shots of Crysis released thus far. Only a matter of cut and pasting some lines of code in the \Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups directory.

Further proof of pointlessness on Vista's part, and more shady dealings and artificial crippling to try and sell DX10 to users. This one doesn't even require a complicated crack for crying out loud, it's just a matter of copying one bit of a text file to another.

Ah...problem is, its nigh impossible to run that game on the highest settings.

Hey glcm61 can you post some photos of the review if possible? Or give us some excerpts? :)

A lot of the (especially early) pictures and vids of Crysis are all DX9, I think much of the DX10 stuff is in effects that aren't easily captured by a screenshot. (Or so I've been told, since i won't go near vista with a 10 foot pole.

So does this game have anything intresting except graphics ? Or is that what makes a game great nowadays ?

A lot of the (especially early) pictures and vids of Crysis are all DX9, I think much of the DX10 stuff is in effects that aren't easily captured by a screenshot. (Or so I've been told, since i won't go near vista with a 10 foot pole.

even a DirectX 10 foot pole?

So does this game have anything intresting except graphics ? Or is that what makes a game great nowadays ?

If it's like FarCry, then it should be very good. FarCry had good AI, fast-paced action, nearly open levels, all served with exceptional graphics (at the time).
And the storyline was okay (for a fps).
Crysis, should use the same mix. I'd like to try it, but only have a laptop.

Hey glcm61 can you post some photos of the review if possible? Or give us some excerpts? :)

Well, it's a long review and having given it a 98, you can imagine that they didn't say too many bad things about it. I will give you the opening paragraph, however:

"Cyrsis has ruined me. Let's call it the 'Cyrsis effect' - how am I supposed to go back to playing excruciatingly linear, stupid-AI-having, plastic looking, videogaming -y shooters, now that I've experienced the next evolution in PC gaming? In a perfect world, gamestores everywhere will open at midnight to host Halo-3 style launch parties celebrating the release of Crysis on november 16th. Government will crawl to a stop; companies will report an unprecedented number of sick workers; exams will go untaken; fathers will ignore their daughters; and the nation's pizza delivery industry will experience its best day since the super bowl. Seriously, the game is THAT good."

And then there is this excerpt:

How can I hear about how Halo 3 "pwns all" from the un-cyrsis-ed and not want to rip my hair out in frustration? (and yes, I've played Halo 3 - and you, master chief, are no crysis)"

It's a good review and having played the demo on my less than spectacular desktop with settings on low, I am convinced - Cyrsis is da bomb.

If you could only spell Crysis right.

Crysis has great physics. The story line looks promising, the other guys in your squad (whom you only spend like 25% of your time with in the demo) are beleivable. The cutscenes are well done and well placed and not overused (there's only three in the demo, intro, finding Aztec, and at the end of the demo).

Try it. It's quite fun, also you can pick up Far Cry cheaply.

the demo was fun but it seems your only combat options are to use your stealth, it seems like all the armor is good for is getting shot so you can get behind a rock anf recover as oposed to really allowing you o fight better, the speed didnt do any good in combat becuase A)you use up your energy so fast so using it in combo with another power is pout of the question B) the enemy is so accuarate and does so much damage it doesnt really matter and C)You cant truck them or anything when moving at super speed. The strength doesnt do you any good in combat becuase therowing things makes you to vulnerabel and all that happens is you get shot up, its really only good for jumping which I suppose getting to an advantageous rooftop can be usefull somnetimes but it just seemed like you took to much damage and they were to accurate for straight figthing to be effective at all. All of the copmbat ammounted to going stealth, getting advantageous killing and then hiding behind a rock until it recharges, going stealth again and repeat. All Im saying is that i would have liked more accessable straight combat but other than that the demo was spectacular and this game looks like it will be a hit.

Top Bottom