PC Gamer UK

user37852

Warlord
January's PC Gamer featured half a page on Civilization 4. I don't know if this has already been posted, so these are the few tidbits worth mentioning:

The screenshot shows off a rather Age Of Empires interface. Mini map on the right, unit buttons in the middle and unit stats to the left. There are icons at the top, which look like tech icons. Top-right is a question mark (help probably) and the year.

In my opinion, the graphics do not look particularly good.

They confirm the seamless zooming (from globe to city). They state that emphasis is being placed on varied attacks, rather than a mass of "over-powered tanks". They mention the multiplayer, and that it is already in a working state.

ETA, according to them, early 2006.

Thanks for the info. :)

It only included one screenshot? From the sound of it, that screenshot is different from the screenshots in the US version of PC Gamer, which didn't show any of the interface.

AFAIR they said that they had already been working at CivIV for a longer time before they told the publicity about. The reason is that had worked at Pirates!' graphics most of the time (so that they hadn't any for CivIV) and if they had told the publicity about the working very much earlier they would have demanded screens - which'd be probably even worse than in CivIII. But I personaly don't believe all that ... :undecide:

I want to see that screenshot. but 2006 is probably to late if i'm right probably at the most the games going to be released in late 2005 or Christmas 2005.

i hope it will be something like rome total war when you can fight your own battles and so that swordmen dont win a fight against a tank... i hate obsolete units in modern age

Are there any pictures?

It's a picture you've already seen, but WITH the interface. I've just scanned it for Thunderfall. He won't be posting it though.

It turns out its the same as MRex's.

edit: I also scanned the entire article. And the picture size/quality of the article and screenshot are superb.

Hello, I've just seen some screenshots of what is supposed to be Civ4...
I really hope that won't be the final image of the game... it's so... like AoE... it's not horrible, but I think Civilization deserves something better
Well, the date of release is still far away, so I think the final image will be much better.
Greetings.

Those graphics are terrible at this point, although I'm sure that at this point in the development cycle they're more focused on getting the mechanics down pat before they spruce up the visuals. I HOPE so, anyhow. ;)

Of course the graphics are terrible, I remember some of the old graphics for civ 3 and almost threw up...have patiance...and from what i read no more spearmen killing tank so its all gravy baby

I'd be happy if they kept the graphics just as they are in CivIII and just worked entierly on the AI and game itself, but that's just me.

Lord_Azazel said:
i hope it will be something like rome total war when you can fight your own battles and so that swordmen dont win a fight against a tank... i hate obsolete units in modern age

No, Civ should remain a TBS. It should never ever incorporate RTS elements.

Daniel Khan said:
I may be the only one who thinks the graphics are all right.

I fervently hope so.

If the graphics in civ4 are cartoony, I ain't paying for it.

Bad enough that it looks like concepts such as corruption and pollution are going to be dispensed with...

Top Bottom