PC vs Mac, the age-old question.

Exsanguination

No longer here
I'm willing to bet a thread like has been started, but I couldn't search (under min word length :mad: ), so if there has been please kindly direct me to it :).

Sometime in the near future (~5-10 years :lol: ), I plan on gettng a new comp (I keep on saying I'm going to but then something pops up and I can't afford it...). At first I said definitely a Mac. No way I'm struggling with these damn Windows machines anymore. Then the new Imac came out, and I had my heart set. I'm getting one of those.

Then about a month later, I actually went to a store and looked at the new Imac and realized how hideous and bulky it was, and decided even if I was to get a Mac it WOULDN'T be that hunk of junk.

And then, I found out 1.29f for Civ3 may not be ported to Mac and that I would have to wait ages for PTW on Mac. So I began to think maybe a PC may as well be the best choice after all. But then I began using my computer again, and the Windows virus (codename Windows 98SE) struck.

So, whenever I DO but a computer I wanted to make sure it is the right choice. So all you Mac-lovers, defend your machine to the death, and all you PC-lovers attack with the corporate power of Bill Gates :lol:. Which is better? PC or Mac? Which model of either?

I generally use my comp for the internet, civ3 (only game I have), word processing, and CD burning. I am looking between a ~2.0GHz DVD/CDRW combo PC, or a 800MHz Dual G4 with that sweet graphics card + CDRW for a Mac (maybe DVD).

BTW - for the record, I hear a little voice in my head saying mac, mac, mac over and over again. Is this normal? :)

--Ex

Depends on the money you want to spend. If you are only going to play Civ3 and are willing to put up with the crappy patch service and the wait for the add-ons....then go Mac.

Windows has gotten a lot better in it's stability but worse in privacy.

With a new Mac machine you get a Linux/UNIX like enviroment that you can tweak with from what I hear.

With a Windows machine you can load a million flavors of Linux on your machine for free.

Mac OS upgrades aren't free (between 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 it costs each step). Windows XP Service Packs are free....

It all depends on what you want.....why not go pure Linux on x86 and save a lot of money. :)

First off...don't buy a premade system. Go out and buy yourself some stuff that will work and build your own system. www.pcmech.com has some GREAT little articles on building a machine as well as lots of how-to's on how to do different things involving machines and info on different parts and technologies. Same with www.pcworld.com. Go there and find some stuff and build yourself a nice windows machine. You may want to go ahead and buy yourself a pentium 3 machine instead of splurging towards a P4 since a P3 can handle all your burning needs w/ease. You will need a good high speed cd-rw drive of course, or you can just use your current one. You will save money if you also decide to just get something around 1 Ghz or 1.5 Ghz since you don't need a 2 Ghz computer just to run civ3 and the internet.

The bottom line: Don't buy a mac! If you need stability buy windows XP or get linux...none of this macintosh nonsense.

And don't listen to GK! ;)

Build your own system. That way, you have a choice of operating systems (from nostalgic old DOS 3.3 if you can find it to WindowsXP, Linux.... and so on)). Make sure they're quality brands too. Don't buy it because it's cheap, and make sure your system board (and OS) will support your hardware.

I have Mac and PC and Mac OS is a very good thing.But an OS is not any good without software.This still is the biggest drawback for Macs.

In a perfect world where everything ran on anything,I would have a Mac.But its not a perfect world.

With the price of PCs these days(and even Macs to some extent) it is not beyond regular folks means to have both.

Build your own system. That way, you have a choice of operating systems (from nostalgic old DOS 3.3 if you can find it to WindowsXP, Linux.... and so on)). Make sure they're quality brands too. Don't buy it because it's cheap, and make sure your system board (and OS) will support your hardware.

I have DOS 1.1 or 1.0 on a system :D

I more or less agree with Silverblade here.

If a person is seriously into graphics and/or audio designing, then a Mac is the way to go.

If a person is a serious gamer, then the PC is the choice.

Generally speaking, I think the mac is a "better" machine, but if you're not into high-end graphics and audio work, the availability of software just isn't there.

In your case, Ex, you would probably be quite happy with a Mac, except for the support for Civ3. As you said, 1.29f is not going to the Mac, and so far I don't think Infogrames has committed to a Mac version of PTW. :(

Well, greatest games such as medal of honor, icewind dale 2 etc... or everquest and other online games exist on Mac too. And well, generally only great games are on Mac. So when you buy a Mac game, you're sure it's a good game, not all those craps that invades the other world :)
Btw, Warcraf3 cd is a hybrid cd, i.e. released at the same time. Same for Q3. And the future doom.

LOL! I've seen plenty of crap games for mac! :D

GK...you're a weirdo!

ah yes Deerhunter was ported to Mac.So was A10 Cuba.These 2 games were..um...interesting.

Top Bottom