PCGamer: “The top 100 PC games”, including Old World!

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
PCGamer has published an article about the top 100 games, which you should be playing this year. Old World is in the list, which is very nice to see :).

From the article:
Fraser: I’ve been waiting a long time for a historical 4X game that can give Civilization a run for its money, and here it is. Mohawk Games has taken all the best parts of the venerable series, but focused on antiquity rather than all of human history. Every turn represents a year, which allows Old World to take a more intimate approach, exploring characters instead of just empires.

There are plenty of innovations, like an Order system that teaches you to prioritise what actions you want to take that turn, but it’s definitely the Crusader Kings-style characters and abundance of narrative events that feel like the most important addition. Leaders age and die, get married, have children, plot against rivals, and you’ve got a whole court of people to worry about. It’s Civ reimagined as a life sim and RPG.

Evan: As you said, the lineage system adds a layer of passive storytelling that I didn’t know I wanted in a 4X. Very interested to see how the next Civ responds to Old World.”

Other honorable mentions from the list, of interest to our readers, are probably “Anno 1800” and “Crusader Kings 3”, which should be enough to fill up this year.

Yeah, no logic at all.

Old World should've been #1. ;)

But have you considered adding more face stabbing…

Nah the list seemed to be focused on the panels’ sense of immersion and character across various games with a lot of “I like walking through open world landscapes”, really independent of any analysis of challenge or game mechanics. Old World welcomes your imagination, but it’s going to insist on getting to be a key player in your story.

I'm just really glad to see a number of games from the strategy genre on the list. At least it wasn't just a list of FPS shooters and sports games.

Reactions: uhu
I'm just really glad to see a number of games from the strategy genre on the list. At least it wasn't just a list of FPS shooters and sports games.
There are quite a few indie games too, I didn't have a detailed look (I'm not sure this kind of lists deserves a detailed look) but I'm glad OW and sunless skies were in there.

I definitely can't understand how they could put satisfactory but not Factorio in their list, or how they could miss subnautica in a top 100 ?

Top Bottom